Entry/mid level low deflection cue

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With either shaft the CB "feels" the same force and follows the same path - only the cue's alignment is slightly different (purposely so in order to produce the same force).

pj
chgo

Doesn't matter what the forces are. The LD shaft won't provide the action to swerve around the "event horizon" :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Doesn't matter what the forces are. The LD shaft won't provide the action to swerve around the "event horizon" :)
The force determines the shot - it’s the only thing that matters.
There is no “action” that LD shafts don’t “provide”.
There is no “event horizon” to swerve around.
A low deflection shaft swerves exactly like a higher deflection one.

You don’t appear to grasp how deflection and aim compensation work.

pj
chgo

Rye_a

Registered
How well do you play with center, follow and draw, can you determine where you cue ball will travel with roll or stun. these basics along with good instruction Dr Dave vids, drills and Billiards university skill tests will take you farther than a LD cue. Just saying, pretty sure SVB will kick my ass with warped house cue, before I will whoop his with my $800.00 McDermott. ;)

I definitely know that I have a long way to go in terms of developing my skills, but is there a reason that I shouldn’t use a LD cue from the start? At this point it seems like the cost of a Schmelke or even simple Pechauer with an LD shaft isn’t that much more (if amortized over years) than a standard ash shaft.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I definitely know that I have a long way to go in terms of developing my skills, but is there a reason that I shouldn’t use a LD cue from the start?
No. In fact I think you should - you'll learn to aim faster with smaller squirt adjustments to estimate, and you'll probably end up with a LD shaft in the end anyway.

pj
chgo

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we are spending your money, get the Predator Revo shaft and be done with it:)

<== Only has the Predator 314.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely know that I have a long way to go in terms of developing my skills, but is there a reason that I shouldn’t use a LD cue from the start? At this point it seems like the cost of a Schmelke or even simple Pechauer with an LD shaft isn’t that much more (if amortized over years) than a standard ash shaft.

Most shafts are maple. Snooker cues have ash shafts.
All shafts deflect, some more than others.

I would try to test a few cues around the pool hall/ store
to see what you might like.

Ld/ standard is just preference. It makes very little
difference. No matter what you get you will have to
adjust to it.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a reason that I shouldn’t use a LD cue from the start?

LD shafts aren't quite as robust either. Not an issue if you're not planning on breaking with your cue, but it is another thing to consider. Besides that, and cost (which you have already acknowledged) there is really nothing to be gained from a traditional shaft.

Despite what some posters here seem to think, there's nothing that a standard shaft can do that a LD shaft can't.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the biggest disadvantage to low squirt shafts (and I've been playing them exclusively since 1999 or so), is when you go to a bar with work buddies or non-pool players, play with house cues, your play will be down a couple notches, and they might not realize how much of a bad-ass pool player you really are.

Rye_a

Registered
IMO, the biggest disadvantage to low squirt shafts (and I've been playing them exclusively since 1999 or so), is when you go to a bar with work buddies or non-pool players, play with house cues, your play will be down a couple notches, and they might not realize how much of a bad-ass pool player you really are.

That shouldn’t be a problem because I plan to get a 12 piece cue that I can carry in my back pocket all the time.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The force determines the shot - it’s the only thing that matters.
There is no “action” that LD shafts don’t “provide”.
There is no “event horizon” to swerve around.
A low deflection shaft swerves exactly like a higher deflection one.

You don’t appear to grasp how deflection and aim compensation work.

pj
chgo

The event horizon is the object ball. The shot may I restate, entails shooting from perpendicular or more obtuse, CLEARING the object ball and spinning back via the cushion to contact the object ball; thusly propelling it along the cushion.

The LD, by design "spec" cannot provide the proper ball motivation.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Do you really need an LD shaft playing on a barbox ?

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The event horizon is the object ball. The shot may I restate, entails shooting from perpendicular or more obtuse, CLEARING the object ball and spinning back via the cushion to contact the object ball; thusly propelling it along the cushion.

The LD, by design "spec" cannot provide the proper ball motivation.

I think you need to shoot this shot with a conventional cue, that you have sanded down to

make it an LD, or a maple shaft that is unmolested, to show us what you are talking about.

Then 10 of us shooting with a variety of LD's will shoot the same shot to let you know

it can be done. Post the video, and I am sure we can find a few players here to post theirs.

The only thing obtuse here is your denial of LD's actual performance vs other shafts.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to shoot this shot with a conventional cue, that you have sanded down to

make it an LD, or a maple shaft that is unmolested, to show us what you are talking about.

Then 10 of us shooting with a variety of LD's will shoot the same shot to let you know

it can be done. Post the video, and I am sure we can find a few players here to post theirs.

The only thing obtuse here is your denial of LD's actual performance vs other shafts.

Where have I denied LD performance?? FU in that regard. Nuthin personal.

Think before you start with the schitt. Place a ball on the end rail a ball out from the left corner pocket. Now, from the kitchen, cut it across to the right pocket. A standard one piece can do this from 90 degrees and beyond where the cue ball must clear the object ball in order to reach the end rail. The LD shaft reduces the one property that makes this shot possible: DEFLECTION. The house cue can create enough deflection and swerve to make this shot with the balls in a line perpendicular to the end rail. The LD would require some degree of masse to even produce a similar effect.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Where have I denied LD performance?? FU in that regard. Nuthin personal.

Think before you start with the schitt. Place a ball on the end rail a ball out from the left corner pocket. Now, from the kitchen, cut it across to the right pocket. A standard one piece can do this from 90 degrees and beyond where the cue ball must clear the object ball in order to reach the end rail. The LD shaft reduces the one property that makes this shot possible: DEFLECTION. The house cue can create enough deflection and swerve to make this shot with the balls in a line perpendicular to the end rail. The LD would require some degree of masse to even produce a similar effect.
This is entirely wrong. No point rehashing the details again - you simply don’t understand them.

One of the things you don’t understand: swerve and “some degree of” masse are the same thing.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place a ball on the end rail a ball out from the left corner pocket. Now, from the kitchen, cut it across to the right pocket. A standard one piece can do this from 90 degrees and beyond where the cue ball must clear the object ball in order to reach the end rail. The LD shaft reduces the one property that makes this shot possible: DEFLECTION. The house cue can create enough deflection and swerve to make this shot with the balls in a line perpendicular to the end rail. The LD would require some degree of masse to even produce a similar effect.

This is entirely wrong. No point rehashing the details again - you simply don’t understand them.

One of the things you don’t understand: swerve and “some degree of” masse are the same thing.

pj
chgo

What you have is a contrivance of details voiced to contradict me. My only contention is that the LD can't make the break around the object ball without some degree of masse. The house cue will give you that swerve with a normal "pool level" stroke. If you have the technical resolution to make the shot with a reduced deflected ball, congratulations. I can't even get close. The house cue OTOH makes the shot a dead cinch; with practice of course.