Etiquette Question(s): When playing out of your weight class...

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I figured once I signed up for the Reno USBTC 10-ball there was no way SVB would sign up. After all, there's no way he wants any part of this. :wink:

In spite of my obvious intimidating presence (kidding), he signed up according to the web site.

So there is an outside chance I may have to play one of the best players, in the game he plays best. No problem! However, I have some etiquette questions about playing someone so far out of my weight class.

1) How does practice time work? If I get to the table ahead of time and he's there do I just walk up and ask him to let me hit some balls? Do I just find a different table? Its not like a few minutes hitting balls on that table is going to prevent me from getting completely destroyed.

2) Do I check his racks? I know Earl has done that to players in the past but I'm going to feel like a total moron if I get up from my chair and look at Shane's rack each time. Do I make sure the cue ball is behind the head string?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dee4fgxEC68

3) Do I look at any object ball close to the rail to see if its frozen? I think BCA rules state that I need to declare it.

4) If he hits a bank, combo or something like that and doesn't call it do I say something? I mean, he's considered to be the best 10 ball player right now so its not like he doesn't know the rule and he's probably not just slopping 'em in.

I know these sound like dumb questions but when playing someone so far out of your league do you even bother with the same kind of thing you might do in league or do you just sit there quietly and take your beating?

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
shouldn't matter who you play, your attitude be the same regardless of your opponents playing skills.
Be respectful and stay out of petty arguments and enjoy the game.

Regarding practice don't hog the table let you opponent practice too.. like alternate rack

4) If he hits a bank, combo or something like that and doesn't call it do I say something? I mean, he's considered to be the best 10 ball player right now so its not like he doesn't know the rule and he's probably not just slopping 'em in.

Trust me when i say that you will "see" where he is trying to bank the ball. If it is not obvious then i am sure he will call the pocket. These top level players are good at calling most of the shot cuz they have been at the spot where they didn't call it and their opponent questioned their intention so i am sure they will avoid those situations.

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
shouldn't matter who you play, your attitude be the same regardless of your opponents playing skills.
Be respectful and stay out of petty arguments and enjoy the game.

Regarding practice don't hog the table let you opponent practice too.. like alternate rack

Yeah, but in league or local tournaments I do stand up and check to see if a ball is frozen and I do say something if my opponent doesn't call a shot when they are supposed to do so. I just can't imagine doing that to a pro.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Yeah, but in league or local tournaments I do stand up and check to see if a ball is frozen and I do say something if my opponent doesn't call a shot when they are supposed to do so. I just can't imagine doing that to a pro.

That's not a good attitude to have. Try to treat your opponent in the same way regardless of their pool skills. Just because they are a pro level player doesn't mean that they are above the rules. If you are in doubt then for sure check it don't let it slide.

As i mentioned before i bet these guys will definitely call a shot that's not obvious cuz they don't want to loose their turn because of silly mistake.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Your opponent is the one who has to declare the ball frozen, not you. Otherwise it is assumed to not be "on the rail".

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I meant if I was sitting and my opponent shooting and the next ball in rotation ended up on or near the rail then I thought it was my job to stand up and see if it was frozen and declare it. Is that not how the rule is worded? I may have misunderstood that. This is the wording I was basing that statement on.

"An object ball is not considered frozen to a cushion unless it is declared frozen
immediately prior to the shot and before the shooter is down on the shot."

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Isn't it "if he's shooting, I have to call it. If I'm shooting, he has to call it."?

BTW, if this match-up occurs, let us know so we can place a wager on you :D

Oh, I am way too much of an attention whore not to post the hell out if it if I draw Shane at the tournament. And if, through some fluke, I end up on the TV table you'll definitely know that too.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Damned little etiquette involved when it comes to money. Like the earlier post said, play him like any other opponent. IF you can...and that's a big if with the intimidation factor involved.

Play your best. You never know. My relatively unknown honorary nephew beat Mika at the bar table championships last year. Quite a feather in his cap!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Good Questions

I figured once I signed up for the Reno USBTC 10-ball there was no way SVB would sign up. After all, there's no way he wants any part of this. :wink:

In spite of my obvious intimidating presence (kidding), he signed up according to the web site.

So there is an outside chance I may have to play one of the best players, in the game he plays best. No problem! However, I have some etiquette questions about playing someone so far out of my weight class.

1) How does practice time work?

Rack a piece is what Rempe taught me.

If I get to the table ahead of time and he's there do I just walk up and ask him to let me hit some balls? Do I just find a different table? Its not like a few minutes hitting balls on that table is going to prevent me from getting completely destroyed.
If the room was somewhat empty, I'd go to another table, but knowing going to the table your on is still Acceptable.

2) Do I check his racks?

Personally I might once, but out of respect most likely not, unless my opponent ''gets into it'', then my options will change accordingly.

I know Earl has done that to players in the past but I'm going to feel like a total moron if I get up from my chair and look at Shane's rack each time. Do I make sure the cue ball is behind the head string?

Ok to ck, but not when he's down on the shot, unless something is Obvious/brain fart.

3) Do I look at any object ball close to the rail to see if its frozen?

ALWAYS..................but not when opponent is down on their shot.

I think BCA rules state that I need to declare it.

4) If he hits a bank, combo or something like that and doesn't call it do I say something?

Out of respect, I'd mention to Him, to make sure you call it the ''next time''.

I mean, he's considered to be the best 10 ball player right now so its not like he doesn't know the rule and he's probably not just slopping 'em in.

I know these sound like dumb questions but when playing someone so far out of your league do you even bother with the same kind of thing you might do in league or do you just sit there quietly and take your beating?

Sit up straight, sit in your chair............and watch.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd play SVB just like I play anybody else, using whatever rules are in place and call anything on him just like I'd do playing Joe Schmoe.

FWIW, I don't "idolize" anybody who plays pool. I don't care WHO they are or WHERE they are from.

I realize that there are people in the world who can play lights out and beat me left and right, but the only thing that impresses me about any of them is their "CONSISTENCY" and sometimes their "creativity"...not just or always their pocketing and positioning abilities. With few exceptions, I haven't seen many shots on a pool table that I haven't made myself (assuming they weren't fluke shots)...I'm talking "normal" shots that are 99% of the game.

People can bring up Efren's "Z-shots", etc., but those are "Hail Marys" as far as I'm concerned. The odds of missing those shots FAR OUTWEIGH making them. Those shots are "luck", just like Efren says. Everybody makes them once in a while, but I'll be the first to bet even money on them missing these shots all day long.

With that said, I'll shake SVB's hand after he beats me.

Aloha.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Your opponent is the one who has to declare the ball frozen, not you. Otherwise it is assumed to not be "on the rail".

Scott Lee

Scott, not disagreeing with you, but I'm not sure I follow the logic of that. A ball frozen to the rail gives the shooter less flexibility of playing a safety so I'd think it would be more in my interests as the opponent to make sure whether it is or not. Now, a cue ball frozen to an object ball is another matter because it gives the shooter more leeway in taking a normal stroke. So in this case it is more in the shooter's interest to declare it frozen.

In either case though (OB to rail or CB to OB), I'd check it to avoid a dispute after the fact.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The logic is that if my opponent is shooting, and possibly playing a safety, and the OB he is shooting at is frozen to the rail, he has to hit the rail with the CB afterwards, or drive the OB to another rail. That become incumbent on me to declare the OB frozen beforehand. If I fail to do so, then there can be no argument afterwards that it "was or wasn't" frozen! :D

Scott Lee

Scott, not disagreeing with you, but I'm not sure I follow the logic of that. A ball frozen to the rail gives the shooter less flexibility of playing a safety so I'd think it would be more in my interests as the opponent to make sure whether it is or not. Now, a cue ball frozen to an object ball is another matter because it gives the shooter more leeway in taking a normal stroke. So in this case it is more in the shooter's interest to declare it frozen.

In either case though (OB to rail or CB to OB), I'd check it to avoid a dispute after the fact.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The logic is that if my opponent is shooting, and possibly playing a safety, and the OB he is shooting at is frozen to the rail, he has to hit the rail with the CB afterwards, or drive the OB to another rail. That become incumbent on me to declare the OB frozen beforehand. If I fail to do so, then there can be no argument afterwards that it "was or wasn't" frozen! :D

Scott Lee

Right, that is my thinking exactly. But that's why I didn't understand you saying it was the shooter that must declare it frozen otherwise it is assumed not on the rail. As the opponent I'm not going to just let him not declare it if I think it is frozen. I'd check and if I think it is and he disagrees I'd have a ref rule rather than just let him go ahead and shoot without saying anything.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1) How does practice time work? If I get to the table ahead of time and he's there do I just walk up and ask him to let me hit some balls? Do I just find a different table? Its not like a few minutes hitting balls on that table is going to prevent me from getting completely destroyed.

2) Do I check his racks? I know Earl has done that to players in the past but I'm going to feel like a total moron if I get up from my chair and look at Shane's rack each time. Do I make sure the cue ball is behind the head string?

3) Do I look at any object ball close to the rail to see if its frozen? I think BCA rules state that I need to declare it.

Based upon my experience I would advise you:

If he's there first, he will undoubtable ceed the table to you when he's done. If you're there first, do your practice routine, then ceed the table to him.

If he's racking for you, check his racks, he will undoubtably check yours.

Never hurts to check and declare balls frozen. It's an accepted part of the game.

Before you start you can ask, "Are we calling all shots?" and go from there. But chances are he will call/point at them automatically anyway.

Having said all that, not all monsters are as polite and professional as Shane. There are probably a few hard boiled cases that might try and intimidate, or short change you. Unlikely in a tournament setting but you have to be on your toes. Just be polite and stand up for yourself.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I haven't had the privilege of shooting in the same tourney as SVB, but I do shoot on a tour that includes Wilkie, Shuff, Davis, Stottelmeyer and even Karen Corr...not quite HOF, but farely well known. :)

My advice (since you're asking) is:

If it's opponent racks for you, inspect the rack everytime. Don't be afraid to call out a gap (unless you want it). If it's rack your own, I'd let it go...unless you want him all over your rack every time and you all end up spending more time re racking than playing.

Warm up time...in most places the "etiquette" is for each player to allow the other one rack to loosen up. Most pros that have been on the table for a while warming up will cede it over to an amateur opponent as soon as they finish running off the current rack.

Balls frozen to the rail are pretty rare, so unless there's a question and you know his best option is to roll up on that ball, I'd say there's no reason to get out of your chair.

He will call shots that aren't obvious. But on the other hand, he will assume that combos or banks will be obvious to you if they're obvious to him. I also wouldn't give him the last ball, even if it's a hanger. You start doing that, and then when you don't he may think you're making a move and get annoyed. Make him finish it everytime and there won't be any misunderstandings. If a shot needs a referee or neutral party to observe, go ahead and tell him you want someone to watch the shot. Close calls go to the shooter, so no need to give the best player on Earth a free swing at a close call! :)