EU Sanctions and the Mosconi Cup

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, one of many promising threads in the main forum hijacked by politics. Most of us are focusing on how these circumstances will immediately affect pro pool and the Russian players. How we got to this moment in time, politically speaking, is NPR stuff.
In all fairness, is it really possible to have a thread about EU Sanctions without politics?

No offense, but the topic itself should've just linked directly to NPR.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a good note, Fedor and Kristina are in USA and will explore opportunities to compete. Americans welcome both of them with open arms and look forward to having them play pool. Before the invasion of Ukraine, USA loved Fedor and Kristina, and they still do.

Margaret Fefilova from Belarus, Tyler Styer's lady, is staying in Wisconsin near him and also is welcome with open arms by our pool community.

My neighbor used to play tennis professionally, and she said when Russia again invaded a country back in her day, the Australian pro tennis players refused to play the Russian tennis players. Thank goodness, our pool community is not like that with our Russian pool pros.

I am still upset at a well-known American pool personality lobbing verbal insults to 24-year-old Sergey Lutsker, a young Russian, on a Facebook thread when Sergey said he would not be playing in the Lasko event due to the Russian ban. The American posted that if he wanted to play pool, then he should stop bombing Ukraine and leave, as if this young man had anything to do with the bombing. It was offensive to read. Sergey is just a young pool pro from Russia hoping to establish a pool career. Unlike Fedor, Kristina, and Margaret, this probably may never happen for him as he's not as popular or as well known.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
sanctions are one of the effective ways to punish an aggressor country by helping to turn its citizens against those in power.
sometimes it hurts those not involved.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
this thread has gotten into a biden and trump bashing thread. shame on you guys. none of you are informed enough to even comment from narrow minds and closed points of view. take it to a political forum.

Sanctions ARE political.

A thread that STARTS political will be political.

Jeff Livingston

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yep, best keep the pursuit of liberty - free passage denied by mass murder out of sight out of mind.

the only thing bite'me biden made clear with putin was the names of those paying off the biden family for access to US trade, bite'me needed that cleaned up.

Yes, with the anti-republic forces now in charge here have already surrendered to the threat of nuclear war.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I don't want to bomb this thread, but can we please stop with the political postings? All we are seeing is the same political viewpoints that have been shared in many other threads. Like Stu said, it would be great to keep this thread on the pool player side of things.

Mike

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The first words of the thread title say:

....sanctions...

What are sanctions? Those are when a govt uses it monopoly on violence to thwart (some, ahem) businesses from doing business with their customers and suppliers.

Political at its very core.

Jeff Livingston
Here's the original post:

Please, no political rants. Many sports are banning Russian teams. Some sports are allowing Russians to play, but no anthem, flag or spectators. If this leads to individual Russians being banned, whither Fedor?

The thread topic is clearly framed, and no, it's not political at its very core. It can be summarized as given the sanctions going on in sports, how will Fedor be affected? To interpret this post as inviting political rants is just plain ignorant, or maybe just self-serving.

You and other NPR junkies who try to twist the content of every thread so that you can preach your political views have done and are continuing to do great harm to this forum. Maybe we need two main forums, one called Main Forum Pool and another called Main Forum NPR.

The main forum is going to s*** because of posters like you who try to bring politics into as many threads as possible.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to bomb this thread, but can we please stop with the political postings? All we are seeing is the same political viewpoints that have been shared in many other threads. Like Stu said, it would be great to keep this thread on the pool player side of things.

Mike
Where did you think it was gonna go?? Seriously. No way it was going to stay non-polit. Move it NPR or something. 'ZAP' a few of these early and people will get the message.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Will the IOC allow for athletes like Fedor to compete independently from their home nation?

The IOC ruling hasn't been put to the test the same way doping standards are enforced.

The IOC should create a decision for athletes wanting to compete but not represent Russia. College level sports like track and field routinely have people compete independently of a school, they compete unattached.

This problem might be new in pro sports, its not new in college track and field.

Fedor is an independent agent, however he is being treated otherwise.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will the IOC allow for athletes like Fedor to compete independently from their home nation?

The IOC ruling hasn't been put to the test the same way doping standards are enforced.

The IOC should create a decision for athletes wanting to compete but not represent Russia. College level sports like track and field routinely have people compete independently of a school, they compete unattached.

This problem might be new in pro sports, its not new in college track and field.

Fedor is an independent agent, however he is being treated otherwise.
Compete where???? How many IOC-sanctioned pool events are there? None? FG's only real out is to leave Russia for good.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Where did you think it was gonna go?? Seriously. No way it was going to stay non-polit. Move it NPR or something. 'ZAP' a few of these early and people will get the message.
A man can dream, can't he?

I really don't want to move it to NPR, as there is a pool related issue that is supposedly being discussed here.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Thank you. And there are other important issues under consideration. Shouldn't the issue be that our discourse be courteously made?

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Thank you. And there are other important issues under consideration. Shouldn't the issue be that our discourse be courteously made?
If only political discourse could stay courteous, then that would be great. Unfortunately, it never does.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Compete where???? How many IOC-sanctioned pool events are there? None? FG's only real out is to leave Russia for good.

EU creates emergency refugee status for Russians abroad during the invasion.
Sports organizations can lead the discussion on what representing a nation means.

Is Fedor a government sponsored athlete?
Can athletes from Russia be offered "diplomatic trial visas" to participate in sports representing alternatives to countries? Athletes can represent colleges. Don't ask who would be offered the diplomatic trials.

Any chance Fedor has dual citizenship?

Last edited:

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let any russian athlete request asylum anywhere and renounce his citizenship, ONLY THEN can they be allowed to play. Otherwise до свидания.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like gorst is a native of moscow, his life is by permission only.

What is the context of his permission papers to Moscow when in need of an extension for free passage beyond Russia?

Has gorst, and the others spoken of here, been given a free pass on a public statement on their conditions to proceed beyond Russia?

Better yet, if he, and the others, believe in mother Russia - it’s cause and purpose, why hasn’t he and others returned to defend and extend into the pillaging, rape and murder of its fellow European’s?

What’s the European team worthy of when headlined at matchroom (a communist accepting entity of china) and, why should usa players give them any bother, foreplay and recognition?

Even better, better yet, what would mosconi think of being associated with the communist good of the people. Back in his day communism was big, which part of it was he?

Hummm …its still a big deal

I did have a couple of questions from the fellow that posted here from austria, just to be clear on a couple things. My grandmother fled from there when hitler arrived. Today, here in the usa where coups have consequences, I don’t have to visualize what it was like for my grandmother.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sanctions are one of the effective ways to punish an aggressor country by helping to turn its citizens against those in power.
sometimes it hurts those not involved.
That's kind of what the current group on power has been doing here the past year

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
Looks like gorst is a native of moscow, his life is by permission only.

What is the context of his permission papers to Moscow when in need of an extension for free passage beyond Russia?

Has gorst, and the others spoken of here, been given a free pass on a public statement on their conditions to proceed beyond Russia?

Better yet, if he, and the others, believe in mother Russia - it’s cause and purpose, why hasn’t he and others returned to defend and extend into the pillaging, rape and murder of its fellow European’s?

What’s the European team worthy of when headlined at matchroom (a communist accepting entity of china) and, why should usa players give them any bother, foreplay and recognition?

Even better, better yet, what would mosconi think of being associated with the communist good of the people. Back in his day communism was big, which part of it was he?

Hummm …its still a big deal

I did have a couple of questions from the fellow that posted here from austria, just to be clear on a couple things. My grandmother fled from there when hitler arrived. Today, here in the usa where coups have consequences, I don’t have to visualize what it was like for my grandmother.
I guess my post was removed

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Here's the original post:

(snip)

The main forum is going to s*** because of posters like you who try to bring politics into as many threads as possible.

Did I start a POLITICAL THREAD HERE?

Talk to that guy. I responded in kind, so sue me.

Jeff Livingston

CapnCarom

This is supposed to be a BILLIARDS forum, people! The OP said, in so many words, "NO POLITICAL RANTS". Does this forum have any moderator(s)? Why haven't these s*** posts been removed, NOT for political point-of-view, but for violating the request of the OP, and the nature of this forum? I'm very disappointed that this, and other, forum(s) don't adequately proctor their members' posts. Be clear that I am *NOT* advocating censorship - I want topical clarity and relevance, in ANY forum I choose to invest my time in.