Ever want to drive a Maserati.

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
Me too. How about someone starts renting out cues. I would love to play with a Southwest but do not want to spend over 2K on one. This could be a way to keep ownership of the cue but still get some dough out of it. This place does it with cars. http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/ Why couldn't it work for cues?

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try putting up an offer on one of the cue enthusiast categories. Make a specific offer, like "I'd pay $100 to rent a Southwest cue for 1 month" or whatever particulars you think are fair, and are willing to do. See if you get a bite.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too. How about someone starts renting out cues. I would love to play with a Southwest but do not want to spend over 2K on one. This could be a way to keep ownership of the cue but still get some dough out of it. This place does it with cars. http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/ Why couldn't it work for cues?

I think the biggest issue here is insurance and scamming. Vehicles have VIN, require a copy of a legitimate driver's license, and may require a background check. Anyone could have a cue sent to a business or drop receptacle and never return it.

Then you have to deal with nicks to the cue, warpage due to shipping to various climates (even within continental US), shaft bluing, individual's preferences on weight and diameters (Searings and Szambotis are more rare and customized than Lamborghinis).

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
iba nailed it. Too easy to steal a cue. FWIW, I've never played with a southwest, but I have driven a Maser...

Last edited:

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could be done on a short-term basis at DCC or the Open. Cues could be rented like table time. This might work fairly well for people to try well-known and long-awaited cuemakers. The renter could be required to leave their cues, ID, and fill out a short "application".

The problem would be that an individual would have to own an assortment of cues from different makers. I do not see it being profitable for the owner unless the maker gave significant discounts or operated on profit-sharing. That being said, if any major cuemaker likes this idea and wants to operate on profit-sharing (90% until the cue is paid in full) I will start this immediately.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I let anyone play with my cues anytime they want....if someone wants to try something out I let them.

I hate, yes hate those nits who think, "I am the only guy the ever hit a ball with my cue..." Ugh, get a life.

Its just a piece of wood...:rolleyes:

Ken

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I let anyone play with my cues anytime they want....if someone wants to try something out I let them.

I hate, yes hate those nits who think, "I am the only guy the ever hit a ball with my cue..." Ugh, get a life.

Ken

Yea but a expensive one.. LOL I will let anyone use mine as long as I know there not gonna mess it up. I would not let my wife use my $1500 Gilbert. But let others hit it all day...

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea but a expensive one.. LOL I will let anyone use mine as long as I know there not gonna mess it up. I would not let my wife use my $1500 Gilbert. But let others hit it all day...

Have your wife see me....she can use mine.

Ken

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
This could be done on a short-term basis at DCC or the Open. Cues could be rented like table time. This might work fairly well for people to try well-known and long-awaited cuemakers. The renter could be required to leave their cues, ID, and fill out a short "application".

The problem would be that an individual would have to own an assortment of cues from different makers. I do not see it being profitable for the owner unless the maker gave significant discounts or operated on profit-sharing. That being said, if any major cuemaker likes this idea and wants to operate on profit-sharing (90% until the cue is paid in full) I will start this immediately.

There are people on here with hundreds of cues. The played with cues could be rented for an hour while the people watch. Take a Balabushka or Szamboti. Would you pay $100 (or more) to get your hands on one for an hour? I definately would. I can not afford 10,000 right now to own one. Someone that owns one could make a killing renting it. The owner could sit and watch to ensure the cues' safety. The catch-22 is the people that own them, I believe, do not need the extra cash.
Like you said with renting table time. A poolhall owner could invest in a few cues and have $100 an hour rates to rent this cue or that cue and you can play on the table for free. It is a whole new take on the poolhall. Instead of renting table you rent the cues. It seems like a great idea.
Here is the scenario- You give the owner 2 or 3 hundred bucks to play with this Ivory joint Gina for an hour. When the person returns the cue they get 1 or 2 hundred back. If there are damages you can take it out of the deposit.

iba nailed it. Too easy to steal a cue. FWIW, I've never played with a southwest, bit I have driven a Maser...

I would take an hour drive in a Quattroporte over two Southwests. Congrats on that drive. I bet it was amazing. I worked at a mechanic and the fastest car I drove was an old Porsche 944.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...I would take an hour drive in a Quattroporte over two Southwests. Congrats on that drive. I bet it was amazing. I worked at a mechanic and the fastest car I drove was an old Porsche 944.

4porte?! You better go for a 550 Bimmer, or they make this special one called the M5:grin::wink:

And 'the fastest car I drove was an old Porsche 944'...may be the only time those words have ever been used together! j/k...I know there are MONSTER Porsches out there that would make most of us pee our panties. ~400hp from Stuttgart is brutalish.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4porte?! You better go for a 550 Bimmer, or they make this special one called the M5:grin::wink:

And 'the fastest car I drove was an old Porsche 944'...may be the only time those words have ever been used together! j/k...I know there are MONSTER Porsches out there that would make most of us pee our panties. ~400hp from Stuttgart is brutalish.

The 944 turbo was a phenomenal and far underrated sports car. Rear wheel drive on this model made it one of the few Porsches you could "get sideways". It pales in comparison to any newer model but would toast an older 911.

As far as the newer models, a number of Cadillacs outperform the Cayman and the Boxter. Porsche, excelling on aesthetics only since 1966.

Last edited:

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member

I saw a Quattroporte yesterday on I-10 and had to change my pants. My mechanic shop does not specialize in foreign super cars so having a Porsche is a treat. There is only one other Porsche there I remember. It was a newer 911. I did not get to drive it though because I had to pick something up.

christyd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

Yeah Kenny it's just a piece of wood!
That is so hilarious coming out of your mouth:grin:....even if you are being sarcastic!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The Maser I drove was back in the 60's...A Ghilbi. $$$$ classic these days, but back then? We were just guys playing with cars. Even the exotics were within the reach of a working stiff, if he wanted one badly enough.

I quit my membership in PCA, Porsche club of America, after 39 years...in 2007, sold my 1972 911S to a friend in Istanbul. The whole scene had become too full of people who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing. The porcupine joke had become true.

These days, I drive a Mustang...a 2009 Bullitt model. It's a nice driver.

I've never played with one...but I can't really imagine a $$$$ cue playing all that much better than my under $1,000 Josey.

A funny observation I made during the BCA regionals @ Lincoln city...the more ornate cues could be spotted with players in the lower divisions. In the "masters singles" division, the cues became less ornate...lots of sneakies, wrapless, cues made from house cues, etc.

All that said? If offered the opportunity to rent a cue with a great rep, like a sugartree, a Gina, a Southwest, a Black Boar, etc.? I honestly don't know if I would or not.

I do know I have zero desire to rent an exotic car.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I thought the AZB Wanted/ForSale forum is pretty efficient? You buy the cue that you want, play with it until you get tired, then sell it back online.

From what I've seen, most of the renters use the same wording as the same cues re-appear over and over again. Forsale Cue XYZ, it hits like a ton, only been test hit.

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
I thought the AZB Wanted/ForSale forum is pretty efficient? You buy the cue that you want, play with it until you get tired, then sell it back online.

From what I've seen, most of the renters use the same wording as the same cues re-appear over and over again. Forsale Cue XYZ, it hits like a ton, only been test hit.

I am guilty of that in a way. I buy some cues if I think they are underpriced to help trade up to nicer cues. When I can not trade them I just sell them. I have a Scruggs, Blackcreek, Jensen, Sumrall, Nitti and a few other nice cues and I play with a shitty Joss or a shitty Meucci Sneaky. I want to try a Gina, Cog, and Southwest because they may play even better. I am constantly on the lookout for a better hitting or more valuable cue. I think I would not like Southwest. I am sure Gina and Cog are right up my alley though. The thing is I do not want to drop 2Gs on a cue that I may not even like. Maybe people could start having trial periods when they sell cues. Send it to me for a week and if I like it you keep the money. If I do not you send me my money back and I send you your cue back.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Renting cues might work, but you would need to have a system for insuring the cue or a very steep deposit on unique or very high end cues. Renting most cues would be like getting a Honda at Hertz. Cues are all basically the same - some wood and a joint. There's just not enough substance to make them stand out like you can with cars.

Just looking at a generic 10X scale: the difference between a $100 cue and a $1,000 cue isn't going to be that noticeable, much less a $1,000 to $10,000. But the difference between a $10,000/$15,000 car and a $100,000/$150,000 car is.

If you like to drive, try this: http://www.dfwdriveyourdream.com/tours.shtml

-td