Excuse me but,...

I would let my opponent borrow during a match with me.

• Nothing ! (Get yer own!)

Votes: 33 25.0%
  • Chalk

Votes: 74 56.1%
  • Powder

Votes: 56 42.4%
  • Bridge

Votes: 83 62.9%
  • Tip tool

Votes: 73 55.3%
  • Cleaning rag

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • cue (the one you are playing)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Spare cue in your bag

Votes: 20 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
It depends on the circumstances, No league play for me so it doesn't apply. Fun match with a friend you're welcome to all but my cues. Normal matches gambling, I got nothing for you.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on how well I know the person, and whether I like them or not, I might let them use my cues. My use of them takes priority, so if I need them in the middle of your match... sorry about your luck.
I bring a couple of newer pieces of Masters chalk to the table and put them on the rail. I don't care if they use it, but if the chalk walks back with them to their seat I'll go grab it. Chalk costs next to nothing, but I brought it- again, I get user priority.
I've loaned out a bridge head on my jump cue before to a short opponent. It speeds things up over finding the house bridge, and most times I internally celebrate when the bridge comes into play. Bridge use by most people I play turns favorably for me.
Jump cues are another item that I like to see coming out from most players. I'm no pro with mine, so if the person I'm playing is at or below my skill level and they don't own one, I pretty much look at loaning a jump cue as the price for ball in hand. Even reasonably proficient players benefit from having practiced with a particular jump cue/ tip. If they're going in blind with a G10 tip/ferrule it makes me like my odds.
Tip tools... most times the need for a tip tool is a good scapegoat for a flawed stroke. I don't care if they want to grind away their tip, I have a couple different tip tools to choose from!
The only thing that I carry that isn't available for common use in any circumstance is the towel I keep in my case. I don't dig other people's sweaty, likely unwashed hands sharing my towel.

As a mediocre player on my good days, I've had people drive out of the way to come play me. I do a pretty good ATM impression sometimes. I went to play a guy once without any of my normal equipment, and he graciously allowed me to use some of his stuff. It's a good customer service policy!

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Agreed. Anything that is "consumable" (e.g. chalk, tip tool, towel, talc) or is not the playing cue itself.

-Sean
I have no problem at all with chalk,powder, even tip tool.

While I marked "nothing", it would really depend on the relationship I had with the other player, whether or not I liked them. During a night of regular weekly play I can recall an opposing player asking for a bridge, one of our players came to me and I responded "no way" because I think this the guy is a jack-ass and I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. A couple of minutes later our player needed a bridge and I took mine out, the other player began to rant, "why didn't you let me use it when I needed it?" I responded with, "Because it's mine and I don't like you. If you don't like it complain to the LO"
The guy wasn't a "jack-ass," the match was getting tight,so it became a concern. I will explain what happened in another post.

for the mostpart, it'd depend on whether i like you or not...?
however, absolutely NOT on the bridge - figure another shot without.
I would hope you like me. still wouldn't share my bridge.

Almost as bad as a guying looking for a bridge while playing me and my stupid teammate gives him mine to use. There was a bridge at the next table, not like he was not gonna find one. There is one on every table there, but sometimes one table ends up with two.

I shoot darts at him, "like wtf you doing" and of course, with my bridge is he able to make the shot, no way with the house bridge... I tell him afterwards, that when I'm playing, that he does not need to be involved with my opponent nor my equipment. Funny thing is, the teammate was mad at me about it, as if I did something wrong by telling him how to behave. Idiot.
My team mates chided me for not sharing my bridge, but I think they didn't understand the situation as I did. I regularly let all my team mates use it when we practice.

They get nothing from me but a cold stare. I would not even say a word, just look at them like they are out of their mind.

That's just how I roll.

I have never been a league player, but if I was the same would go for my so-called team mates. They get nothing from me either.

If I were to say anything I would say, "If you are not prepared to play too bad, I'm not your daddy. Would you like to double the bet?" :)
That was how I felt at the time.....

It depends on the circumstances, No league play for me so it doesn't apply. Fun match with a friend you're welcome to all but my cues. Normal matches gambling, I got nothing for you.
Couldn't agree more here. I will even go a little further if I am playing a friend and let them use my spare cue.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Here is what happened.

The situation :
my match was #4 of 5, we were up 2-1 at LTC's.
My opp needed 2 games and was not shooting well up to this game. I was on the hill,wanting to close out the match. my opp found his "mo-jo," and was coming on strong.

Hill game, I break and drop 1, but see I can't get out. I roll a nice safe for my right handed opp down table for a hard cut to the left for the 1 ball. I did this figuring he had 1- a hard cut to make, 2- had to use a bridge, and 3 was likely not going to get position for the next shot. SO,.... when he asked me for my bridge,(which I consider my equipment), It felt self-defeating to me. I politely said no, and started looking for a house bridge for him.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I think Jump cue should be on the list because it is one of those items that not everyone has and can be Very Critical in a match..

You lock the guy down hoping to get ball in hand and the guy says can I use your jump cue.. Yea Right.. Ill sell it to you!!!
I was going to add jump & break cue,but thought there were some here my not use them. I combined them in to spare, meaning that spare could be a player,jump ,or break cue.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't carry my own bridge but if I did I would let the opponent use it. I carry my own talc powder and I would let the opponent use it.

I would not let the opponent or anybody else unless I knew them well use my break cue or playing cue. I let a teammate use my cue once and after he missed a shot he slammed the cue against the rail. I also carry my own chalk.

I don't see how anybody could damage a bridge so yes, go ahead and use it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on if he is a friend, acquaintance or neither.

Friend- pretty much anything.

Acquaintance- all except cues.

Neither- gtfo!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. It is according to Google, but I'm no poodle-botherer myself, so couldn't say for certain.

2. Levity, banter enjoying etc.

One last time, since you seem hell-bent on "bantering" me about it. Yes, I have a poodle, that is a rescue from a shelter. If you knew anything about me, you'd know why. Hint: it has nothing at all to do with your implied "manliness" of a breed of dog.

And finally, for supposed "levity enjoyment" purposes, you're awfully fixated on the finest details about me. I do sell memberships for my fan club, and I have special VIP badges for my most ardent fans such as yourself. These are prized, and are considered by many like you to be along the lines of a black AMEX card. Perhaps you'll consider contacting me for a VIP membership?

-Sean

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Aren't pool players great? Dontchajustloveem?

After playing billiards for a while, I can say there is quite a difference. Billiards truly is a gentlemans game. Pool to billiards is what bowling is to golf. T-shirt and sweatpants to coat and tie. It is the general attitude that makes the difference.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Some of my opponents use my chalk, I dont use a chalk holder because I choose not to and I certainly dont have a pouch for my chalk that clips to my belt so I leave it on the rail. Since I use NSR most people see the yellow wrapper and know it is not theirs or the houses and put it back down when they pick it up, but some are just a little slow and actually walk around the table to get my chalk, no big deal, I figure I have a better chance to beat a brain dead opponent anyway.:thumbup:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

I would hope you like me. still wouldn't share my bridge.

i don't use a bridge, but my son has a slip-on. i'm 5'11" in heels & very bendy; i expect the same from my opponent.

i only like you if:
you don't shoot slop
i'm winning
and you like Philly cheesesteaks & pizza ;)

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
i don't use a bridge, but my son has a slip-on. i'm 5'11" in heels & very bendy; i expect the same from my opponent.

i only like you if:
you don't shoot slop
i'm winning
and you like Philly cheesesteaks & pizza ;)

I am 5' 9 flat-footed, so I'll guess I would be just over 6ft in 3 inch pump stilettos. :p

Pink,
Every shot counts
You can be "winning," till the end. :D
Imma "Philly Boy," It is criminal to not like them ! :cool:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Competitiveness vs. Sportsmanship

I really don't think there is a "right" answer that would blanket the situation.
An example:
I let my opp use my chalk. Now after the first time , they feel entitled to use it throughout the rest of the match. In sucha case, I would regret my sportsmanship attitude. :frown:
Just random thought....

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't think there is a "right" answer that would blanket the situation.
An example:
I let my opp use my chalk. Now after the first time , they feel entitled to use it throughout the rest of the match. In sucha case, I would regret my sportsmanship attitude. :frown:
Just random thought....

I always carry extra chalk. If an opponent doesn't have any, I give them one. Ok its not diamond or predator chalk. Its masters. It cost me 14 cents apiece. If I can't afford 14 cents, even if it was every week, I will quit playing pool. Its worth more then 14 cents to me to earn the respect and gratitude of another human being. Just an act of kindness.

That being said, there are a few people I know to which I wouldn't give the sweat out of my buttcrack if they where dying of thirst (sorry about the graphic image I just planted in your head).