Experiments in looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is starting to sound like a conspiracy to get players doing the wrong thing, just so you can beat them!
It is only wrong for you if it doesn't work. Not advocating anyone change, just saying if you haven't seriously tried it, you should not knock it. I may look last at the OB most of the time, but the other works very well also.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recently taken a different approach, that being spending time regularly practicing drills with a Rempe Training CB. I first wanted to see how close I was hitting the CB compared to where I was aiming to hit it. I found a bit of focused practice yielded nice improvement in my CB stroking accuracy. Doing this may yield improvement in ball pocketing while still allowing you to look at OB last. However, if you're convinced looking at CB last works best for you, then by all means do it your way.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recently taken a different approach, that being spending time regularly practicing drills with a Rempe Training CB. I first wanted to see how close I was hitting the CB compared to where I was aiming to hit it. I found a bit of focused practice yielded nice improvement in my CB stroking accuracy. Doing this may yield improvement in ball pocketing while still allowing you to look at OB last. However, if you're convinced looking at CB last works best for you, then by all means do it your way.
That is the only point I was making.

Donkey Bruce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is starting to sound like a conspiracy to get players doing the wrong thing, just so you can beat them!

America keeps losing the MC, and there's a scarcity of talent. The dots never seem to be connected around here.

this is the dark age.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Donkey Bruce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
;Coming from someone that several of us have thought might be Travis Trotter....this is rich.

Consider this a warning.

To be clear, are you warning him because you thought he's someone he isn't? What sort of chance does that give him?

DrClean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this turns out to be true, that looking at the cueball is more advisable than looking at the object ball, this could turn the pool universe upsidedown.

It would prove all the instructors wrong. All the instructors on this site would lose their credibility.

It would prove every professional player wrong. It would prove every snooker player wrong. Every player in every cue sport. It would be a new beginning in pool.

So you will understand why at the present I am unsure if it is a joke or not. I am not saying it is out of the realm of possibility.

From what I recall, I think both johnny archer and earl strickland look at the cueball last. Stated in their TAR interviews.

edit: oops didnt see previous posts mentioning this.

Last edited:
From what I recall, I think both johnny archer and earl strickland look at the cueball last. Stated in their TAR interviews.

edit: oops didnt see previous posts mentioning this.

That is absolutely false, and those extracting that information from TAR interviews were just taking statements out of context and not listening properly.

Pangit

Banned
To be clear, are you warning him because you thought he's someone he isn't? What sort of chance does that give him?

Bruce...all I can say is that I've been to Mr. Wilson's Office more than I want to admit. I'm on my my last leg...leaning on a crutch :smile:

I don't have a Mulligan left. I LOVE your spirit...:grin-square:

Tread lightly...Mr Wilson put's up with lots of stuff...don't be the next PJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUf7r_9yNs

Us trolls MUST learn how thick the ice is...if we want to stay alive. :D:D

DrClean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is absolutely false, and those extracting that information from TAR interviews were just taking statements out of context and not listening properly.

"When I teach guys, I say really the number one thing you have to do is concentrate on the cueball. Cuz, that's all you really ever hit."

"The reason amateurs don't get much better, is because they're not focusing enough on the cueball"

"Once you get down over the ball, the object ball doesn't matter."

All of those came from the JA v SVB Tar interview (45:30-46:40)

"When I teach guys, I say really the number one thing you have to do is concentrate on the cueball. Cuz, that's all you really ever hit."

"The reason amateurs don't get much better, is because they're not focusing enough on the cueball"

You take it out of context and are trying to trick people purposely I believe. Do you think we are that foolish to believe that Johnny looks at the cueball last?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You take it out of context and are trying to trick people purposely I believe. Do you think we are that foolish to believe that Johnny looks at the cueball last?

He certainly does. I have watched Johnny play for over 300,000 hours and it's quite obvious.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
He certainly does. I have watched Johnny play for over 300,000 hours and it's quite obvious.

That, and he said it on video for all to see.

Don't let the man actually saying it detract you, though, Chris. He probably didn't mean it. He probably said it to get more people to play badly.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't let the man actually saying it detract you, though, Chris. He probably didn't mean it. He probably said it to get more people to play badly.

Very sneaky, Johnny... Well played.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

None of those sentences translate into looking at CB last.

-roger

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you're inferring that from the quote above, I think you (and others) are being a little too creative with your statements. Archer may look at the cueball last, but he doesn't explicitly state it in what I've seen quoted above.

I like to look at the cueball on my warmup strokes, just to give me assurance that I'm cueing where I intend to, but when I execute the shot, I'm looking at the contact point on the object ball.

Stephen Hendry was an interesting case, where his eyes used to switch between the object ball and the pocket when he was on the shot. And that's the greatest cue sports player of all time.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member

To be fair,
Since you apparently have no context as to who Travis Trotter is....maybe you should figure that portion of the discussion out....at least.

Once you have a firm grasp of that, it might make more sense.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
okay enough is enough. I am not normally the kind of person to throw out a challenge but since this discussion is pissing me off so much all you CB last guys got 40 point start on the big table with 3-1/8" pockets for a grand.
Lets see how accurate you really are.
:D

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Go to "Ask the Instructor"

In the thread Shot / stroke problem a poster put forth the proposition that looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke was "fundamentally wrong". I had already provided evidence that Willie Hoppie considered looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke as fundamentally basic. I had read Willie Hoppies book Billiards As It Should Be Played well over 20 years ago. At the time I was content with my aiming process and just chalked up the cue ball last as a 3 cushion thing. Kind of the way I considered his more upright stance an "Old School" thing compared to the chin on the cue of the top snooker players and shot makers. Anyway the discussion led me to experiment with looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke.

I started experimenting with looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke around 01-04-2013, and am pleasantly surprised with the result.

The first thing I noticed was expected. I was able to much more precisely place the cue ball.

The next noticable improvement was shooting off of the rail. My make percentage improved looking at the cueball.

The break shot was next, I was hitting the rack more squarely and more consistenly controling whitey.

Then I starting improving my make percentage on the long backward angle shots that I have always struggled with.

Now practicing with a new technique and competing are two different things. The first time I put it to the test in competition, it was a leap of faith. My percentage was so low on this shot that I figured what the heck what to lose, might as well try it looking at the cue ball. Length of the table and straight in married to the rail, make it and I get the same shot on the eight ball. It worked perfectly!

Now I am two weeks into this experiment and feeling really comfortable with looking at the cueball. So I go to an old cut shot drill that I know what my percentages of make miss looking at the object ball are and am able to make a higher percentage looking at the cueball last.

So after a couple of weeks my cueball control has improved, my shot making has improved and my confidence has improved with no downside. Could some of this improvement be due to the "New" effect? Certainly, but regardless of why I am thrilled with the improvement in my game.:thumbup:

Looking at the cueball when delivering the stroke has also given me new insight into the TOI and what CJ meant when he spoke of "pining"(sp) the cueball.:cool:

I know that the "Ask the Instructor" column doesn't get much action, which is too bad.

But there's a thread, "Why OB last?", that has excellent responses by excellent teachers.