Explain This to Me...

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I hear ya!! Some of us do not have the luxury of these ridiculous waiting lists. The sad part is....I wanted the cue to actually PLAY with....imagine that! No closet queens in my reality, I play with what I buy. I can tell you it's very disheartening when you're waiting on your turn, only to see others passing you by....and listing their cues immediately for sale, looking for the flip/profit.

Like I said, in my mind, it is definitely an integrity issue. If they are willing to do this to me, then what else are they willing to do?

While I can understand your frustration, it's not like this is the only industry where money gets you preferential treatment.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Production cues get knocked. Why because someone decided to get all the latest high tech equipment, space and employees to make more cues at a cheaper price. Well guess what's selling and more importantly. BEING PLAYED WITH.

I have a 27yo Helmstetter that has served me quite well....not a cue snob.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
While I can understand your frustration, it's not like this is the only industry where money gets you preferential treatment.

I guess I don't get out much...because I have never had anywhere I spend my money treat me any different than anyone else...as the money spends all the same.

Oh, and not frustrated...not at all. I am grateful for the makers I have worked with, and they have provided me with some great players (knowing my specs helps). It has come up in a conversation, where people who have posted the bank rolls, been treated poorly in their opinion, but still opted to follow through with the transaction.........because that's just the way it is....even tho they think it's wrong. My point being is that if you condone bad behavior, the behavior will only continue, because there are no consequences. You take away the rewards for the bad behavior, and the behavior will change...or they will get out of the business, which may not necessarily be a bad thing.

No different than properly raising children.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the same time, if the maker is so busy/popular that he can't possibly make cues for everyone in a reasonable amount of time, why shouldn't he pick-and-choose his work? I'm sure Frank Lloyd Wright wasn't accepting "small" jobs...

A fine analogy, IMO.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
A fine analogy, IMO.

Actually, it's not. There are makers out there that when they have hit a certain point in their number of orders that to take on anymore would cause them to fall behind, thus leaving disappointed customers.....they just post that they are no longer accepting new orders until they have fulfilled what is already on their plate. It good business, and shows INTEGRITY. It shows they actually care about their customers....and that'll get them repeat business.

When you create these 'lists'...you're basically just blowing a whole lotta sunshine up a whole lotta asses....because you're never gonna fulfill them in a fair manner. This shows a lack of integrity, IMHO....and a total lack of regard for your customers.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Actually, it's not. There are makers out there that when they have hit a certain point in their number of orders that to take on anymore would cause them to fall behind, thus leaving disappointed customers.....they just post that they are no longer accepting new orders until they have fulfilled what is already on their plate. It good business, and shows INTEGRITY. It shows they actually care about their customers....and that'll get them repeat business.

When you create these 'lists'...you're basically just blowing a whole lotta sunshine up a whole lotta asses....because you're never gonna fulfill them in a fair manner. This shows a lack of integrity, IMHO....and a total lack of regard for your customers.

It worked fine when it was just makers choosing their work. It has since been revealed that the makers are taking on lots of work, then prioritizing their work based on money.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
...The reality is this...in a fair market, it doesn't matter what prices are being asked...the consumer will dictate whether or not that the price is in line, by either spending or not. They are freaking cue sticks, for pete's sakes!!....not a precious metal or gem. The best way to combat this is by not being so free with opening the purse-strings. If you quit rewarding this type of behavior, it will stop....

very, VERY good thread.

"it's only worth, what someone will pay for it."
and Credit Card chargebacks, are effective.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, don't take it personally. I doubt mr wright was without wrong.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
You walk into a nice resturant, and the food is good and you are treated well........you go back, and you tell your friends.

You go into a similar resturant, and the food is good....but you're treated like crap...you never go back, and still tell your friends, albeit to warn them off. If you are treated really badly....you walk out.

Let's try this...

Ordering a custom cue is supposed to be a pleasant experience. You find a maker you like, you're treated fairly, you get exactly what you wanted.....you've had a pleasant experience.

You order a custom cue, are treated poorly, you might be lucky enough to get what you want, but the expereince was less than enjoyable. That is not a pleasant experience.

Why in the hell would you willingly be treated in such a manner...when it's your hard earned money on the line?!

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
very, VERY good thread.

"it's only worth, what someone will pay for it."
and Credit Card chargebacks, are effective.

Thank you very much. I just want people to start using their noodles, and spend their money where perhaps it is more deserved.

Yes, it is no secret that many makers are bad business people. Then hire an assistant, or take a small business course at your local community college...but the customer shouldn't have to bear the brunt of a maker's shortfalls.

I don't subscribe to the line of thought that 'because I am a poor business person, and cannot manage my workload effectively....I'll just start a 'list', which will help drive up the demand, because I can only produce but so much a year....and then I can justify raising my prices, while still keeping customers on the hook.' People will have more respect for you if you're just honest and tell them, 'hey, I got all on my plate that I can handle currently, so until I get things caught up and customers orders happily fulfilled, I can no longer accept new orders at this time.I apologize for the inconvenience.'

Smart money goes with the honest, straightforward maker every time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for the record, I have never been on a list and am opposed to buying a cue I can't touch first.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I hear you, girl!!!

Fact is....American consumers have to be some of the most gullible people on Earth. Either that, or we're just plain stupid. Greed...ego...high-and-mighty attitudes...snobbery...these are just some of the things that fuel our spending/buying habits.

I would never spend that kind of money on a playing cue (nor would I ever collect cues)...would never wait more than a few months for a cue to be built...but...

...it's their time and money, not mine. They can do it that way if they wish...it's just not for me.

I shake my head in amazement at some people though!!!

Maniac

Could not agree more ! I have seen some of the best play from The Miz to Efrin some had expensive cues some not Have seen many think with the perfect cue they could play great .The Greats play perfect with the cue they have in there Hands

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Question...did you know about the cue makers back log before placing your order? Something else to think about...no one likes eating at an empty restaurant. And, if a faster return for you investment in a cue is important to you, why on earth would you be thinking about ordering a custom made cue, instead of just going out and buying a production made cue? Sometimes...the best someone has to offer...is just not found at Walmart on the shelf just waiting on you to walk by and so you can decide if you want to but it or not:D

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank you very much. I just want people to start using their noodles, and spend their money where perhaps it is more deserved.

Yes, it is no secret that many makers are bad business people. Then hire an assistant, or take a small business course at your local community college...but the customer shouldn't have to bear the brunt of a maker's shortfalls.

I don't subscribe to the line of thought that 'because I am a poor business person, and cannot manage my workload effectively....I'll just start a 'list', which will help drive up the demand, because I can only produce but so much a year....and then I can justify raising my prices, while still keeping customers on the hook.' People will have more respect for you if you're just honest and tell them, 'hey, I got all on my plate that I can handle currently, so until I get things caught up and customers orders happily fulfilled, I can no longer accept new orders at this time.I apologize for the inconvenience.'

Smart money goes with the honest, straightforward maker every time.

I'm in the service industry as well, and in no way can I keep up with the amont of customers on my waiting list, somewhere in the neighbourhood of about 800 or so. If I lose someone on that waiting list...I'll never onow it because at a moments notice...someone else is right there to replace the ones I've lost because of whatever reason. Some of the cue makers are in the same boat I'm in, and speaking for myself here...I'm not taking on new people to teach my trade to just so someone can get their table worked on by someone I taught....it takez way to damn long to teach someone how to do what I do, and I still don't have a guarantee that they won't screw the jobs up working on their own....so I'd imagine the cue makers feel the same way as I do when it comes to hiring extra help in order to lessen the work load a little so that you might get you custom made cue a little earlier that expected....only to complain about something to do with the cue once you do receive it...LOL

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You walk into a nice resturant, and the food is good and you are treated well........you go back, and you tell your friends.

You go into a similar resturant, and the food is good....but you're treated like crap...you never go back, and still tell your friends, albeit to warn them off. If you are treated really badly....you walk out.

Let's try this...

Ordering a custom cue is supposed to be a pleasant experience. You find a maker you like, you're treated fairly, you get exactly what you wanted.....you've had a pleasant experience.

You order a custom cue, are treated poorly, you might be lucky enough to get what you want, but the expereince was less than enjoyable. That is not a pleasant experience.

Why in the hell would you willingly be treated in such a manner...when it's your hard earned money on the line?!

I agree.

The best steak I have ever eaten in my life was at Mancy's Steakhouse in Toledo, Oh. It was the most perfectly aged and cooked beef ever. My fork cut this steak, a knife was not needed. But, I never went back and never will. If that maitre d' would have reached across my table and the $100 plus anniversary dinner to bark out orders to bus boys one more time, I would have given her a shot to the ribs.

Talk about brand loyalists, $22,000 for a $16,000 MSRP Harley Softail is outlandish. People waited two years for that while being treated like shit. By the way, it was a Toledo HD dealer's attitude that drove me away from Harley.

I wonder what that Heritage Softail Classic is worth today? :grin:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I agree.

The best steak I have ever eaten in my life was at Mancy's Steakhouse in Toledo, Oh. It was the most perfectly aged and cooked beef ever. My fork cut this steak, a knife was not needed. But, I never went back and never will. If that maitre d' would have reached across my table and the $100 plus anniversary dinner to bark out orders to bus boys one more time, I would have given her a shot to the ribs.

Talk about brand loyalists, $22,000 for a $16,000 MSRP Harley Softail is outlandish. People waited two years for that while being treated like shit. By the way, it was a Toledo HD dealer's attitude that drove me away from Harley.

I wonder what that Heritage Softail Classic is worth today? :grin:

Jake's Steak House Restaurant in Issaquah, WA has about a 3 month reservation waiting list to eat there, no walk ins taken...because their steaks are just that damn good, as well as everything else there, and they're only open during dinner hours....I wonder if they would do better if they just opened their hours of service to be like all the other restaurants in their area of service;)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Answer, in economic terms: Value is subjective.

Jeff Livingston

Last edited: