Eye glasses for pool

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This must be the 150th thread started abut billiard glasses.
Wake up.
Get contacts.
NO GLASSES on your face at the table.
They are unnecessary.
Very simple.
Bifocals, astigmatism, no problem.
Get contacts.
i have a phoria in addition to astigmatism
i was told by my optometrist
because i need prism in my prescription
contacts were not an option for me

terpdad

Registered
When I was looking into these, I showed a picture to my optician. She pointed out they're just regular glasses turned upside down. We experimented w/ several pairs of ordinary glasses in the store & she was right. You'd obviously have to reverse the stems & nose piece, but the place you buy your glasses may be able to convert regular frames for cheaper than buying specialized billiard glasses, depending on prescription.

Tadaimarlon

The name of them (and a link preferably--but at least the name) might help other people be able to find them too. I don't know how much luck people are going to have finding them by searching ebay for "eye glass raiser upper thingies", especially on a German site.
They are called "Sightlifter". It looked interesting so I checked them out, international shipping costs more than the item itself, $21 for the item, $35 for shipping..

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
They are called "Sightlifter". It looked interesting so I checked them out, international shipping costs more than the item itself, $21 for the item, $35 for shipping..
A quick search turned up the link below as the first search result. I may be reading it incorrectly but it looks like from this page the price (in US dollars) is $23.95 plus $8.16 shipping to the US? Might be worth looking at if people find that shipping cost more palatable.

Tadaimarlon

O si search turned up the link below as the first search result. I may be reading it incorrectly but it looks like from this page the price (in US dollars) is $23.95 plus $8.16 shipping to the US? Might be worth looking at if people find that shipping cost more palatable.h
Oh, I see. I didn't check eBay, I checked their official website

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I am going through this right now. My optometrist is a real sports geek and is getting this right for me. He did all kinds of vision measurements and had his in-house optician work something up. (Edit: they are rimless glasses with a larger blank. Single vision “tuned” for 6 feet away). I’ll get the glasses soon and will report back

I also tried a couple types of contacts and they aren’t as clear/crisp/ as glasses. I have an astigmatism so I have those lenses. They are ok, and would work. I had lasik 20 years ago and a touch up isn’t recommended for me.

So, in short, I’m getting these glasses direct from my eye doctor. They didn’t have a template, so they are custom making them.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a optician who handles glasses/frames from Randolph Engineering. The make glasses for the military, aviation and shooting. They have a shooting frame that has an adjustable nose piece to allow progressive lenses to adjust up to sight in on the front sight. Dropped down they look like regular aviators. Very high quality and only need one frame for life.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wedgees. Bought off amazon under 6 dollars. They go on your earpieces and keep them from sliding down. Just have to find the frame you can live with.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have several eye issues and have bought pool glasses from all the main players
i recently had cataract surgery and need new glasses for my new precription
the price from curran was going to be alittle north of $600 as i recall
so i decided to use https://billiard-eyeglasses.com/
who i had used before
gordon was very helpful in the past and he spent time with me now discussing my new prescription
cost with shipping to me in florida was $308 canadian which was $241 USD
i highly recommend billiard-eyeglasses
the glasses are high quality/ fit well /and most important
I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW !!! :D
View attachment 627885View attachment 627886
Very good prices.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That and a lot of people don't like shit touching their eyes.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's too bad.
I am surprised the contact makers have not come up with a fix for that.
Perhaps it is a little rare.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going through this right now. My optometrist is a real sports geek and is getting this right for me. He did all kinds of vision measurements and had his in-house optician work something up. (Edit: they are rimless glasses with a larger blank. Single vision “tuned” for 6 feet away). I’ll get the glasses soon and will report back

I also tried a couple types of contacts and they aren’t as clear/crisp/ as glasses. I have an astigmatism so I have those lenses. They are ok, and would work. I had lasik 20 years ago and a touch up isn’t recommended for me.

So, in short, I’m getting these glasses direct from my eye doctor. They didn’t have a template, so they are custom making them.
I also have an astigmatism.
Contacts work great.
Crystal clear.
Either your prescription is wrong or the contact maker was not the correct one.
I use Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus.
They are specifically made for an astigmatism.
They last two weeks per pair.
With insurance they cost me about 100 bucks every 6 months.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What frames from Zenni do you recommend so they extend above the eyebrow? I've found they need to go that high when shooting a table length shot unless you have quite an upright stance.
My glasses work for me and I have no way of knowing if they will work for you or not. Our individual eye locations and facial bone structure could be totally different. I will add I have been using Decot for years but wanted to try something else that is substantially less costly. So I took a chance, now I am going to purchase a second pair.

The website has a virtual try on which is very simple to perform. I used the camera on my desktop for my photo then tried many different frames. You can also shop by size, gender and a plethora of other filters. My wife thought I was crazy at first and I tend to agree but now I have become a believer. The markup on eye-wear is incredible... They do have a referral program which I am not interested in BTW. Just passing along my own experience. I will add the lens height on my first glasses was 38 mm, the new ones I am ordering are 41 mm. I also recommend nose pads which I find beneficial in holding my glasses up higher for pool. So I understand your concern, again the search filters are your friend..

To the members saying buy contacts they are not an option that worked for me. I never found any that were comfortable and past a certain age most doctors will tell you it is not likely you will be comfortable for many reasons, dry eye seemed to be my issue...

All the best to you, I hope you find something that helps your vision needs.

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I also have an astigmatism.
Contacts work great.
Crystal clear.
Either your prescription is wrong or the contact maker was not the correct one.
I use Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus.
They are specifically made for an astigmatism.
They last two weeks per pair.
With insurance they cost me about 100 bucks every 6 months.

Those are the same ones I had. I also tried B&L. Didn’t like them for pool. I definitely prefer glasses. (Edit: I’m going to try the B&L again today. Maybe I’ll like them better this time).

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This must be the 150th thread started abut billiard glasses.
Wake up.
Get contacts.
NO GLASSES on your face at the table.
They are unnecessary.
Very simple.
Bifocals, astigmatism, no problem.
Get contacts.
I disagree with your comment that glasses are unnecessary for so many reasons. Are you a doctor, NO. Can everyone wear contacts, NO very simple answer, YES glasses are necessary for lots of people...

theattendant

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is a bit more to pool glasses than just having a big frame. you also need to move the focal point of the lens up to where you will be looking at down on a shot. otherwise you will get a prism effect the farther you get from the optical center of the lens. I would say that technically glasses would give you a better visual picture in day to day life than contacts, but with the variance of where your eyes are when playing pool, i think that contact lenses would be a better choice provided you aren't presbyopic and even that wouldn't be so much of a problem if you don't look at where the tip will contact the cue ball when shooting.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That and a lot of people don't like shit touching their eyes.
That's me! If you gave me a billion dollars I wouldn't be able to put a contact in my eye. I can't even watch someone do it on their own eye. It completely freaks me out.

I couldn't do the lasik for the same reason.

Basically anything near my eyes completely freaks me out. Even eye drops.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Curran glasses. I am (was) local to him and have been getting my glasses from him since I first started wearing them in the 4th grade. I was actually his first customer for the billiard glasses. There is a picture of me somewhere on his website (when I got my second pair from him).

To make the proper glasses, you need to go to someone who cuts their own lenses and does all the hole drilling for the various parts. A store like Curran's is few and far between these days. He is a guild certified optician. As was his father, and now his son as well. Its a 3rd generation store. Most of the eyeglass places now are retailers with low skilled workers as salespeople. They send the order to an optician house to actually do the work. They are just a retail front now. So any pool specific modifications like Curran does will be hard to find.

I think the guy in Canada does similar work, although I don't have his set to compare.

The main things the glasses need are to be higher vertical, and to shift the center of the lens (when its in the "blank" form before its cut) higher on the frame so your eye is looking through it when in your stance. The lower your stance, the higher both of these points are.

Then there is the whole complication if you are older and need an rx for a specific distance. I still have youth type single vision lenses, so I can't comment on that experience.