Face square?

dquarasr

Registered
I’ve been watching a lot of videos of the best players. Niels, Fedor, Joshua, etc. One thing in common: they all have their face square to the shot, even if they align opposite side-eye dominant.

In particular, I watched Albin O. Absolutely meticulous. Pleasure to behold.

Due to physical limitations, I simply cannot get my face perfectly square to the shot. It hurts to do so, and contorting my body, even in the face of the discomfort, is tiring and not sustainable for more than a few racks.

Attached is a photo of about the best I can do. Even this position breaks down after 45-60 minutes.

Question: am I destined for a lifetime of inconsistency or can I overcome and play well with a slightly left-right tilt? Any tips to making this tilt work?

(Yes, I know the answer is spending 6-8 hours a day working through this, but at 67 I don’t have the stamina, or to be honest, the time. If this is the answer, then so be it.)

BTW, in this photo I’m pretty happy that the cue is under my vision center, just right of my substantial proboscis.

Thanks, Doug

1674841787327.jpeg

dquarasr

Registered
P.S. I also recognize that my elbow is not directly behind my head. Again, another physical limitation. I have verified though that for the most part I can deliver the cue pretty straight as long as I grip loosely and relax my forearm.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an instructor who stands behind my name, right or wrong, I would never answer a forum question privately. I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to read what answers or fixes people here recommend to a question. I'm always up for a fair discussion or debate if someone disagrees with me. That's what forums are about. Put it out there for everyone to see.

I don't like sneaky teachers and I don't like players who go along with sneaky teachers. Whether you realize it or not, you're putting us up against each other and we can't even defend ourselves because we don't know what's being said.

This goes on a lot in this forum. Sneaky teachers are either cowards or con people. Is that someone you want teaching you?

dquarasr

Registered
As an instructor who stands behind my name, right or wrong, I would never answer a forum question privately. I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to read what answers or fixes people here recommend to a question. I'm always up for a fair discussion or debate if someone disagrees with me. That's what forums are about. Put it out there for everyone to see.

I don't like sneaky teachers and I don't like players who go along with sneaky teachers. Whether you realize it or not, you're putting us up against each other and we can't even defend ourselves because we don't know what's being said.

This goes on a lot in this forum. Sneaky teachers are either cowards or con people. Is that someone you want teaching you?
Huh? Where did I express that I want a private response?!? Did someone post a response that was deleted?!? I'm lost . . . .

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not an instructor but if you look at pics of top pros you will find many DO NOT have their nose parrallel to the cue shaft
meaning their head IS NOT SQUARE to the shot line
so you dont have to hurt yourself and can shoot like a pro
even with a left to right tilt and your substantial proboscis 😀👍😏

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I’m pretty happy that the cue is under my vision center, just right of my substantial proboscis.
Like this?

I can't tell if your cue is directly in line with your sight - could your back hand be a little outside it? Only slightly, if so (and of course it's hard to tell anything from one photo).

pj
chgo

dquarasar.png
dquarasar.jpg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't be at all concerned with head/face position. Do what feels right and looks right from behind the cb, then keep doing it over and over again. Your results will get more and more consistent, because your mind will work it all out - the visuals, the mechanics, the muscle memory, everything needed to make it all work.

dquarasr

Registered
Like this?

I can't tell if your cue is directly in line with your sight - could your back hand be a little outside it? Only slightly, if so (and of course it's hard to tell anything from one photo).

pj
chgo

View attachment 684419View attachment 684420
The line you drew is the shot line. My elbow might be out a little bit but the cue is on line. You can see it from the chalk line from me practicing the X drill.

EDIT: actually, no. Your line is right (from the viewer’s perspective) of the shot line. The shot line is the chalk track from the x drill.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not an instructor but if you look at pics of top pros you will find many DO NOT have their nose parrallel to the cue shaft
meaning their head IS NOT SQUARE to the shot line
so you dont have to hurt yourself and can shoot like a pro
even with a left to right tilt and your substantial proboscis 😀👍😏
Is he square?
not to me
he plays pretty good
jmho
icbw
i am not an instructor

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been watching a lot of videos of the best players. Niels, Fedor, Joshua, etc. One thing in common: they all have their face square to the shot, even if they align opposite side-eye dominant.

In particular, I watched Albin O. Absolutely meticulous. Pleasure to behold.

Due to physical limitations, I simply cannot get my face perfectly square to the shot. It hurts to do so, and contorting my body, even in the face of the discomfort, is tiring and not sustainable for more than a few racks.

Attached is a photo of about the best I can do. Even this position breaks down after 45-60 minutes.

Question: am I destined for a lifetime of inconsistency or can I overcome and play well with a slightly left-right tilt? Any tips to making this tilt work?

(Yes, I know the answer is spending 6-8 hours a day working through this, but at 67 I don’t have the stamina, or to be honest, the time. If this is the answer, then so be it.)

BTW, in this photo I’m pretty happy that the cue is under my vision center, just right of my substantial proboscis.

Thanks, Doug

View attachment 684358
I'd like to answer a question you didn't ask. Personally speaking, I play best when everything is RELAXED. I notice something in you that you see often in pool halls. Your face is all scrunched up. Lips are tight, forehead furrowed. Maybe your glasses are causing that. I find it hard to keep one part of my body relaxed when another part is tense. If your face has tension it is likely the muscles related to delivering the cue are also tense, even just a little. Again, for me personally, when I learned how to deliver the cue while maintaining relaxation, questions of head position or feet or all that stuff just didn't matter. Balls go in from everywhere as long as your muscles allow you to deliver the due in the direction you want it to go.

dquarasr

Registered
I'd like to answer a question you didn't ask. Personally speaking, I play best when everything is RELAXED. I notice something in you that you see often in pool halls. Your face is all scrunched up. Lips are tight, forehead furrowed. Maybe your glasses are causing that. I find it hard to keep one part of my body relaxed when another part is tense. If your face has tension it is likely the muscles related to delivering the cue are also tense, even just a little. Again, for me personally, when I learned how to deliver the cue while maintaining relaxation, questions of head position or feet or all that stuff just didn't matter. Balls go in from everywhere as long as your muscles allow you to deliver the due in the direction you want it to go.
Point taken. Because of my neck it’s hard to get low. I’ve tried a more upright stance. I might experiment with that again. Thanks for the input.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point taken. Because of my neck it’s hard to get low. I’ve tried a more upright stance. I might experiment with that again. Thanks for the input.
In my opinion you are lower than you need to be. You can play just as well a little higher up.