Fedor Mosconi cup

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he can't play for Team USA because he isn't a citizen and likely won't be for a few more years.

Not sure if Team Europe will select him due to political reasons- Russia is still waging a horrendous war in Ukraine. Not Gorst's fault, but they may still exclude Russian athletes- not sure what Matchroom's policies are

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Efren played under Cesar Morales.

Problem solved.

Change his name.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Efren played under Cesar Morales.

Problem solved.

Change his name.
myeyes.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He last played in 2020 for team Europe. If he sits out this year, then that would be 3 years in a row, and I believe he could play for USA next year. That’s what MR did with captain Johan. They benched him for 3 years and then traded him. That would be my strategy if I was MR. I’d tell fedor that privately so he won’t feel slighted.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He last played in 2020 for team Europe. If he sits out this year, then that would be 3 years in a row, and I believe he could play for USA next year. That’s what MR did with captain Johan. They benched him for 3 years and then traded him. That would be my strategy if I was MR. I’d tell fedor that privately so he won’t feel slighted.
I think the standard for international sports federations is five years off for a country change, but Matchroom don't take no truck with sports federations.;)

In any case, Fedor is not a US citizen and I have not seen any definite sign from him that he intends to become one. Jayson is more of a US citizen at this point than Fedor.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The appalling ban of players in 2022 on the basis of nationality is in the rearview mirror, and the WCBS and WPA should bow their heads in shame for having imposed it.

If Fedor is an automatic qualifier based on Matchroom's rankings, Matchroom will have to do some very fast talking to exclude him from participation. He has traveled the world trying to participate in Matchroom events and had back-to-back top five finishes at the Spanish Open and the European Open. He has shown great commitment to the Matchroom tour in 2023.

Speaking for myself alone, I'd like to see him play in the Mosconi Cup. His story of overcoming hardship is an inspiring one and it will be to the game's advantage to have him playing at the Mosconi.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the standard for international sports federations is five years off for a country change, but Matchroom don't take no truck with sports federations.;)

In any case, Fedor is not a US citizen and I have not seen any definite sign from him that he intends to become one. Jayson is more of a US citizen at this point than Fedor.

Do you need to be a citizen to play for the country or just identify with being a citizen there? Meaning what is "home" to you, ignoring any legal government requirement. Since pool is such an un-official sport, why not use an unofficial selection criteria for the Mosconi, going by what the player wants to be selected as. I am pretty confident of all the foreign players living in the US, Fedor is the most likely to select to play on the US team, even though Jayson and many others have moved to the US full time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you need to be a citizen to play for the country or just identify with being a citizen there? Meaning what is "home" to you, ignoring any legal government requirement. Since pool is such an un-official sport, why not use an unofficial selection criteria for the Mosconi, going by what the player wants to be selected as. I am pretty confident of all the foreign players living in the US, Fedor is the most likely to select to play on the US team, even though Jayson and many others have moved to the US full time.
For playing in the World Championship, it is "passport holder", I believe. There is the problem of dual citizenship and that would be where the time between changes would come in. Some organizations have a five-year (maybe three?) transition period without playing.

I think Matchroom is free to do as they please and maybe someone switching sides would be an interesting wrinkle. It would be really strange for Shaw to switch. Fedor would seem a lot more neutral.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

because maybe he won't become a citizen and has to leave the US.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
It's done in Hockey all the time. Some 3rd string Canadian-"Something". Will go play for "Somethings" Olympic Hockey team. Player gets to call himself an Olympian and see the sights. Some of these countries don't even have ice rinks.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's done in Hockey all the time. Some 3rd string Canadian-"Something". Will go play for "Somethings" Olympic Hockey team. Player gets to call himself an Olympian and see the sights. Some of these countries don't even have ice rinks.
Done in lots of Olympic events. The United States is very well represented on many of those third-world countries' Olympic teams, as many do not have very strict requirements as to what they consider a citizen. You don't see it as much of late, but a few decades ago there were US college athletes that would be representing their ancestors' nations in the Olympics. Some even paid their own way.

I'd love to see Fedor become a citizen and play on our side, but he should do what is best for him and his family first.

Reactions: sjm

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, comparing those lists, USA doesn't really stand a chance against EU.
Although I don't know how Fedor actually feels about Putin, Russia, and the politics of this invasion, it would seem that the US is as close to an "adopted" home as one could hope to find. what I mean is, he seems to have a strong support system based in the States, and he was able to survive, actually thrive, during his International ban.

A few people who spent time in the same circles over the last year told me he was received very warmly in most every pool hall he walked into and was treated like "one of the guys". I read another post a while back that recommended a letter writing campaign of sorts to MR to get Fedor on the US side. Might work, but I would much rather Fedor himself come out and proclaim that it is what he wants. It's obvious that the other Euro's who have made a decision to move/live here feel it's more important to play for their homeland....maybe Fedor does as well?

Seeing him suit up with SVB and Sky as teammates would be a sight to see, but we will be fine with or without him.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Matchroom is listing him as part of Team Europe based on points:

View attachment 717593
Wow, I didn't realize this. It's nice to see that Matchroom sees Fedor as eligible for Team Europe.

There are several Matchroom ranking events remaining, however, and Fedor will need to continue his fine play to remain an automatic qualifier. Per the Matchroom website, the rankings after the Asian Open on October 15 will determine the three automatic qualifiers.

It looks like an exciting race to the finish for the automatic qualifier spots. Good luck to all who are trying to chase down a spot.