Fedor Mosconi cup

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom could make the argument to Fedor that they could increase the payouts if the US was more competitive.

From there they need a rule that both works to balance the teams and passes the funny looks test. “Players who have lived at least 75% of the past 3 years in a country other than their home country may elect (upon invitation) to represent their host country in international events. For validation, players must demonstrate proof that the host country has been their primary residence, such as proof lease or property ownership documentation, as well as proof that they have paid taxes (e.g. income or property) in their host country for at least 3 consecutive years.”
What would be the fun in winning if we didn't beat their best?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... so winning 2 of 10 Mosconi Cups is just about correct for the predictions based on Fargo given a small sample.
That's why the smart money is on Europe. The bookies are making the Americans about a 2:1 underdog. I guess there is enough pro-American money coming in to keep that line.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Not sure where you are going with this, but "Russian" isn't a race, it's a nationality. People have been excluded due to their nationality in professional and amateur events since International competition has been a thing.
I had to explain to John Barton that China is not a race a few years ago.
Were people this dense before social media?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Residency rules are important. We all come from somewhere else, but where we lay our heads for the majority of the time should be who we represent IMHO.
Matchroom could make the argument to Fedor that they could increase the payouts if the US was more competitive.

From there they need a rule that both works to balance the teams and passes the funny looks test. “Players who have lived at least 75% of the past 3 years in a country other than their home country may elect (upon invitation) to represent their host country in international events. For validation, players must demonstrate proof that the host country has been their primary residence, such as proof lease or property ownership documentation, as well as proof that they have paid taxes (e.g. income or property) in their host country for at least 3 consecutive years.”

slugrack

Matchroom owns the Mosconi Cup and they make the rules. As it stands the players 'represent' either Team Europe or Team USA. Matchroon can do what they want.

Personally, I like Gorst as a player and as a person but I do not feel comfortable with a citizen of a communist country (at war with a NATO country) representing the USA.

Fedor is a citizen of the Soviet Union and Ukraine is a NATO country? News to me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It makes more sense to change the name from the Mosconi Cup to the Reyes Cup and have European and Asian teams compete.

Be better for the fans too, which is basically why they have the event. It's purely entertainment.
That's not why they have the event. The Mosconi dates to 1994 and was conceived months after the death of Willie Mosconi. The event is a tribute to the legendary Hall of Famer and Flora Mosconi was in the loop and authorized the creation of an event that would honor her late husband. Any suggestion that the fans don't absolutely love the Mosconi as it exists today is unfounded, for no event in the game generates more enthusiasm from both players and fans.

Nonetheless, a Team Europe vs Team Asia match might make for a nice event and if you want to call it the Reyes Cup, that's fine, but it shouldn't replace the Mosconi Cup, a proven long-term winner.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If it's for pure winning, of course you would want to be on the stronger team. But Mosconi Cup is about pride of representing a country not personal winning and from what I have seen of Fedor talking about living in the US, he is one of the people that would play as an American even if it's not a lock to win. Plus, with him on the team, the chances of USA winning is nearing 50/50. If someone can get Dechaine to be more of a team player and get a better practice and work ethic similar to SVB, the US would be very competitive with adding him and Fedor.
🤣🤣🤣

Thresh

Not sure where you are going with this, but "Russian" isn't a race, it's a nationality. People have been excluded due to their nationality in professional and amateur events since International competition has been a thing.
Russian is an ethnicity and nationality, with Eastern Slavic ancestry.

But, what you are saying is, if they said no "Mexicans" allowed, that's not racist because they didn't use the word Hispanic? I'd still say that's racist, but I guess that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Matchroom owns the Mosconi Cup and they make the rules. As it stands the players 'represent' either Team Europe or Team USA. Matchroon can do what they want.

Personally, I like Gorst as a player and as a person but I do not feel comfortable with a citizen of a communist country representing the USA.
It's his fault he was born in Russia?

Adults judge people by their character, but you do you

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was Fedor, I’d want nothing to do with the Mosconi Cup. Why would he want to be in the middle of all that drama and controversy?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Would the Russian federation receive a portion of Fedors winnings if he did play?

The money would be used as a non profit.

L.S. Dennis

That's not why they have the event. The Mosconi dates to 1994 and was conceived months after the death of Willie Mosconi. The event is a tribute to the legendary Hall of Famer and Flora Mosconi was in the loop and authorized the creation of an event that would honor her late husband. Any suggestion that the fans don't absolutely love the Mosconi as it exists today is unfounded, for no event in the game generates more enthusiasm from both players and fans.

Nonetheless, a Team Europe vs Team Asia match might make for a nice event and if you want to call it the Reyes Cup, that's fine, but it shouldn't replace the Mosconi Cup, a proven long-term winner.
Well said, agree totally

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Our opinions may differ, but I gave up on the Mosconi Cup when fans overseas hit one of our players with a pacifier and another time made rude comments about another players wife. It stops being serious pool at that juncture. I don't even keep track of it anymore. It has become as silly as NBA/NFL sports has become, what with the fans acting like a bunch of adolescents. Not professional pool, IMHO.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our opinions may differ, but I gave up on the Mosconi Cup when fans overseas hit one of our players with a pacifier and another time made rude comments about another players wife. It stops being serious pool at that juncture. I don't even keep track of it anymore. It has become as silly as NBA/NFL sports has become, what with the fans acting like a bunch of adolescents. Not professional pool, IMHO.

It has turned into a hooliganism attendance with more disruption than is really needed even for a louder atmosphere, to the point of outright rudeness and disrespect of the players, and pretty much all from the European side from what I can tell. They brought over the drunken rowdiness from soccer into the Mosconi Cup. Willie would be turning over in his grave seeing how the fans are acting.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'll respect your opinion. If you don't enjoy it, that's OK. It's a made for TV exhibition for sure, but I've always had fun when I attend.