Filler back to the carbon shaft

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The issue that many manufacturers were talking about a couple of years ago was that good Canadian rock maple used in the shafts is getting harder to find. Talked with Tony from Tiger back in 2019 and he told me that, of the wood he had on bought to turned down for shafts, only about 30 percent of it would be passing grade.

dendweller

The issue that many manufacturers were talking about a couple of years ago was that good Canadian rock maple used in the shafts is getting harder to find. Talked with Tony from Tiger back in 2019 and he told me that, of the wood he had on bought to turned down for shafts, only about 30 percent of it would be passing grade.
Years ago there was talk about counting the rings, that you need old growth maple. I've gotten so used to lighter shafts that when I pull out an old shaft that weighs 4 or better I don't like it.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
It's been my experience that the people who say they shoot "about the same with any cue", really aren't very good players.
A pool cue is a a player's instrument and, like musicians, good players perform better with equipment they are most comfortable with.
I've been playing for 40 years. I can detect even the most subtle differences between cues, and it DOES effect my overall play.
Filler misses his wood Z3. It's his most comfortable shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been my experience that the people who say they shoot "about the same with any cue", really aren't very good players.
A pool cue is a a player's instrument and, like musicians, good players perform better with equipment they are most comfortable with.
I've been playing for 40 years. I can detect even the most subtle differences between cues, and it DOES effect my overall play.
Filler misses his wood Z3. It's his most comfortable shaft.
Really?? Explain Efren then. Arguably the greatest of all time plays the same with everything he picks up. Most of this 'cue stuff' is nothing but head games.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll add my two cents as I recently dipped my toe in the world of carbon fiber. I decided on the Cuetec Cynergy 12.5mm primarily because a good friend had a hand in the R&D and the limited time I've hit with one, it seemed to be the one that felt and sounded like a wood shaft vs the competition. I started playing pool about 30 years ago and used solid maple shafts exclusively until I got the Cynergy. I've got roughly 4 hours of table time (practice) on the Cynergy. My take: the Cynergy is not LD. There's a fair amount of deflection or squirt going on, which I like coming from a solid maple shaft. Close to medium length spin shots are't a problem but medium speed, long spin shots took some adjustment. The use of inside English is still a work in progress in terms of consistently hitting the aiming point. I will say that I can direct the cue ball on certain shots in a way I cannot with a solid maple shaft. I can also move the cue ball with less effort, especially on draw shots. I've joked with my buddies it's borderline cheating. I really like how smooth it is even without a glove. I was worried I might have to add a glove to my list of equipment but I don't think I'll need to. I also like the fact that it's easy to clean and it will never "blue". To wrap it up, there is certainly a level of adjustment needed, at least for me but it isn't insurmountable by any means or a deterrent in continuing on. I would think a World Class player would have far less difficulty in adjusting but the mind is a very powerful thing. Case in point: I'm a little neurotic about things matching so I had to go the extra mile and have the ringwork added to the Cynergy to match my player and to right-size the collar diameter. I would have never felt "comfortable" with it with the shaft collar being a smaller diameter than the butt and the ringwork out of balance.

52688915044_c587356abc_h.jpg

52688642596_29c4ab1d80_h.jpg

Zerksies

Years ago there was talk about counting the rings, that you need old growth maple. I've gotten so used to lighter shafts that when I pull out an old shaft that weighs 4 or better I don't like it.
It's one the the reasons why a company like predator exists. Back in the 90's it was rough finding good quality lumber then too. So you laminate modern wood pieces together to hopefully make something the equivalent or better then old growth wood

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really?? Explain Efren then. Arguably the greatest of all time plays the same with everything he picks up. Most of this 'cue stuff' is nothing but head games.
Players like Efren have gotten a custom to playing with wood shafts for decades. They know exactly how much the shaft will squirt and compensate for that. LD wood and carbon shafts play different and those old school players choose to stay with what they know. I am friends with Johnny Archer and Rodney Morris and they mentioned similar thoughts.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
First of all, Efren isn't the best of all time. He was the best of his time.
Bigger pockets, slower cloth, no jump cues, etc.

Second of all, Efren hates carbon fiber shafts-- which is what this discussion is all about.
Yah, he switches cues all the time, but they're all wood, and he isn't, nor ever was, the shooter Josh Filler is.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New maple shafts dent so easy it seems. The older maple is a lot harder imo. Some of these cheap maple shafts get nicks like they might as well be made of balsa. A good hard maple shaft doesn't nick easy at all.

Viking gets good wood for shafts imo.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Threads like this are the reason I’ve moved away from pool and enjoy golf. A different class of people that don‘t give a shit what anyone plays with or if they feel it makes them better. No one cares if the 18 handy capper spends 2 grand on a new set of clubs . Good for Him. In golf no one cares if Taylor made is making a new driver every year to OMG make money. They are a business of course they are. If you like the new driver buy it if not don’t. No one cares. In pool it’s the end of the world if a company is trying to make money with something new.
The guy can play with anything he wants. He’s a generational talent . None of you are. So if you like the way a wood shaft feels great.. if you like the way carbon fiber feels. Great. If you feel good and you have confidence you play good it’s that simple.

Attachments

• 9B1BD71E-6FA1-4765-8B90-E1867B86DABB.jpeg
    9B1BD71E-6FA1-4765-8B90-E1867B86DABB.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 67

Zerksies

Players like Efren have gotten a custom to playing with wood shafts for decades. They know exactly how much the shaft will squirt and compensate for that. LD wood and carbon shafts play different and those old school players choose to stay with what they know. I am friends with Johnny Archer and Rodney Morris and they mentioned similar thoughts.
Effren is playing with a Z shaft

Threads like this are the reason I’ve moved away from pool and enjoy golf. A different class of people that don‘t give a shit what anyone plays with or if they feel it makes them better. No one cares if the 18 handy capper spends 2 grand on a new set of clubs . Good for Him. In golf no one cares if Taylor made is making a new driver every year to OMG make money. They are a business of course they are. If you like the new driver buy it if not don’t. No one cares. In pool it’s the end of the world if a company is trying to make money with something new.
The guy can play with anything he wants. He’s a generational talent . None of you are. So if you like the way a wood shaft feels great.. if you like the way carbon fiber feels. Great. If you feel good and you have confidence you play good it’s that simple.
I promise you some golfers care. I used to deliver a new club every other week to one guy. He was so excited he would call me so he could meet me to get the new club of the week.
Filler apparently isn’t using what he wants. It’s forum people discuss things

BelleBelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very little difference in predator wood shaft vs predator Revo. Now if we’re talking about a standard wood shaft non low deflection then yes that would be totally different.