Filler's Victory Celebration

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never approve of this disrespectful crap. Not with Earl ( who I love to watch play )
or anyone else. Filler has been doing this since I saw him at Mosconi Cup a few years
ago. His own teammates told him to stop. Screaming when he made a 7 ball or the
8 ball....very poor sportsmanship . Just find the money matches he played with Chua
at the 9 ball tourney in norfolk this year. Runs his mouth after the game is set.
You can wolf before, not during ! He would have had a hard time playing in the 70's.
We don't put up with that crap !

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being perfectly candid (as always) and I think it goes away from the majority opinion on this thread but I find Joshua's celebration style distasteful.

I'm asking myself why exactly this is. I remember when Busty won and circled the perimeter with joy high fiving everyone he could and I was perfectly okay with that and similar other celebrations like with Darren, Johnny, Earl, etc.

There may be something to his starting to celebrate before the last balls are pocketed or the barking noise or, for me, maybe more likely is that *he is* so young and when these other guys are doing it it feels like they paid a lot of dues to get there.

Odd how different players can strike us all so differently.

In no way diminishing his accomplishment because it is huge so Congrats Joshua Filler. I do find myself, however, rooting for his opponents more than not.

Hey, how about when Kid Delicious beat Earl in a big tourney in New England and somehow got himself up on the table - how could anyone not love that? :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

I am with you 100% on this. The jumping on the table is bad enough. However what really pisses me off is the celebrating & screaming before the last ball is even sunk. I have seen world class players miss easy shots out of nowhere or have a ball skid. Anything could have happened. Would it kill you to wait 10 or so more seconds to actually have the ball drop before celebrating?

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
The thing about sport and competitive endeavours is that it is basically thousands of hours of hard work and a shitload of sacrifices. There can only be one winner and you’ll ultimately lose more than you win so to speak, for most athletes.

Their moment of glory is fleeting and feels like seconds in relation to the time they put into the game. And they may never experience it ever again in their lives.

Most of us probably will not come close to understanding how it feels like to win the world title. Let’s not tell them how they should treasure this monumental moment in their life. If need be just implement a set of rules with respect to decorum and just give them a slap on the wrist as a middle ground. Not sure why we keep having to argue about these things. Can’t we just get back to CF vs wood and aiming systems?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on guys. The man just won a big tourney and it's a major life event. I've seen bigger celebrations at a $5 blackjack table over a push.

Tap, tap, tap. Finally, a voice of reason.

I loved it. When I see a pool player at a major event expressing emotion, I think it is good for pool as a whole.

Nobody -- and I MEAN NOBODY -- in mainstream America will enjoy watching emotionless robots play mute pool, like a certain continent of the world is wont to doing.

Give me emotion, more Mosconi-esque-type emotion. I like it! This is what pool needs to give it a boost in popularity. :cool:

There's a bunch of Negative Nellies in this thread who don't like seeing a young man overcome with joy after the almighty win. This forum is getting ridiculous. Isn't there anything else to talk about in the pool world. Sheesh!

And for what it's worth, I think he's handsome. Very handsome. He and his wife make a beautiful couple. I'm disgusted by those who start to tear down a pool champion's physical looks. WTH! What is wrong with people? If he looked like Ichabod Crane and wins a world championship, social shooters would start dressing like Ichabod Crane, wanting to know what kind of horse does he ride, where did he get his hat, what does he shoot with.

Those same computer-sniping sucker-punching monkeys are the very first ones to stand in line and ask a pool player for his autograph or a photo opp. Seen it happen so many times, so many, many times. These trolls write things they would NEVER say to a person's face. Cowards! All of them. They live under a rock and get their jollies off on putting down others because their lives are so damn miserable. There's a couple of 'em in this thread.

Filler is the real deal. Let's embrace him and enjoy the ride. I don't care if he's from Germany at this juncture. We got Tyler and Sky now. Their turn will come too.

Pool purists seem to enjoy players looking exactly like they're from Children of the Corn when they compete and win. Yuck!

Attachments

• children-of-the-corn.jpg
    children-of-the-corn.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I like the kid being emotional. We pool players always swallow down our joy over a victory as if we feel guilty for having done a good job (maybe because any win relies on some bad luck or bad performance of our rated opponent)

Regarding "celebrating" the 8, I believe this was his most honest emotion in the match ... He was relieved about that shot, more than any other and it took him time to re-settle after it to be able to make the last 9.

I think part of his celebration is indeed staged, like building up some kind of "brand", like hi Hulk Hogan pose and straightening his hair to the camera ...
In the Mosconi Cup I am 100% that most of his attitude during the match was mainly to piss off the crowd and Dennis (in any other event I despise such a behavior, with Mosconi it is part of the show)

Didn't someone say, Pia was at a similar great ladies event in China at that time?
She would have certainly stuck out in a Pinoy crowd :grin-square:

Btw a crowd that celebrated the mistakes of the foreigner is something I do not approve too much, but I understand that this is different in other parts of the world

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, referring to a 21 year old man as a "kid" is condescending.
Calling him a young man would be more respectful.
I wasn't a "kid" when I was 21 and I suspect most of the rest of you weren't either.
:thumbup2:
ummmm.....South Dakota Kid? we still call SVB that.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't a "kid" when I was 21 and I suspect most of the rest of you weren't either.

Good grief. Now we get into semantics.

Well, he's a kid to me. There. I said. Joshua Filler is a kid. And I like the kid. There. I said that too.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member

I loved it.

<snip>

There's a bunch of Negative Nellies in this thread who don't like seeing a young man overcome with joy after the almighty win. This forum is getting ridiculous. Isn't there anything else to talk about in the pool world. Sheesh!

And for what it's worth, I think he's handsome. Very handsome. He and his wife make a beautiful couple. I'm disgusted by those who start to tear down a pool champion's physical looks. WTH! What is wrong with people?

<snip>

Those same computer-sniping sucker-punching monkeys are the very first ones to stand in line and ask a pool player for his autograph or a photo opp. Seen it happen so many times, so many, many times. These trolls write things they would NEVER say to a person's face. Cowards! All of them. They live under a rock and get their jollies off on putting down others because their lives are so damn miserable. There's a couple of 'em in this thread.

<snip>

Pool purists seem to enjoy players looking exactly like they're from Children of the Corn when they compete and win. Yuck!

Since it was me who posted the picture comparisons of Filler and "Pharma Bro" then, logically, it has to be me who you're referring to as at least one of those "computer-sniping sucker-punching monkeys". OUCH! :embarrassed2: :(

You know I think the world of you, Jennie, but c'mon please; lighten up. I was trying to inject a little humor into the thread, it was a joke for Pete's sake. And if you read a few posts further you'll see I shared my honest opinion on Filler's celebration which differs from yours but it is my opinion and aren't we entitled to share our take here on the azb forums?

Wishing you a bright holiday season and a wonderful 2019.

best,
brian kc

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You know what 'Bata' means?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I just put down my latest Jack Reacher book by Lee CHILD.....
...um....what was that about a kid?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since it was me who posted the picture comparisons of Filler and "Pharma Bro" then, logically, it has to be me who you're referring to as at least one of those "computer-sniping sucker-punching monkeys". OUCH! :embarrassed2: :(

You know I think the world of you, Jennie, but c'mon please; lighten up. I was trying to inject a little humor into the thread, it was a joke for Pete's sake. And if you read a few posts further you'll see I shared my honest opinion on Filler's celebration which differs from yours but it is my opinion and aren't we entitled to share our take here on the azb forums?

Wishing you a bright holiday season and a wonderful 2019.

best,
brian kc

Brian, I wasn't referring to your post. Of course, your opinion is welcome, as is everyone's opinion.

I have a strong disdain for those who ridicule professional pool players' appearances, looks, and name-calling. That was the point of my post.

Happy Holidays to you and yours! :smiling-heart:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not my style

His style of celebrating is not for me, nor is many of the European players and audience at the Cup.

But, pool is some what unique in that you can walk around slowly and be under a tremendous amount of pressure with no physical way of letting the stress out, as is possible in other professional events.

So t is no wonder players whoop and holler and chest thump after a big win. I think if he were to walk over and compliment the player he just defeated and then jump around like a head shot rabbit it would be more bearable to watch.

In spite of his antics he is a ball making machine, he makes 9 Ball look easy and he is only 21. What the hell is he going to be like in 5 years, look out. So glad he was not playing for Team Europe this year, but I fear he will be next year.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
His style of celebrating is not for me, nor is many of the European players and audience at the Cup.

But, pool is some what unique in that you can walk around slowly and be under a tremendous amount of pressure with no physical way of letting the stress out, as is possible in other professional events.

So t is no wonder players whoop and holler and chest thump after a big win. I think if he were to walk over and compliment the player he just defeated and then jump around like a head shot rabbit it would be more bearable to watch.

In spite of his antics he is a ball making machine, he makes 9 Ball look easy and he is only 21. What the hell is he going to be like in 5 years, look out. So glad he was not playing for Team Europe this year, but I fear he will be next year.

Said it before, it just seems forced, like he intended on doing it before the match started if he won and now he's carrying through no matter what.

Great talent and have bet on him many times over the past few years. Just be yourself kid and dont copy those old guys before you, it just seems disingenuin.
Jason

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I loved it. When I see a pool player at a major event expressing emotion, I think it is good for pool as a whole.

Nobody -- and I MEAN NOBODY -- in mainstream America will enjoy watching emotionless robots play mute pool, like a certain continent of the world is wont to doing.

Give me emotion, more Mosconi-esque-type emotion. I like it! This is what pool needs to give it a boost in popularity. :cool:

And for what it's worth, I think he's handsome. Very handsome. He and his wife make a beautiful couple. I'm disgusted by those who start to tear down a pool champion's physical looks. WTH! What is wrong with people? If he looked like Ichabod Crane and wins a world championship, social shooters would start dressing like Ichabod Crane, wanting to know what kind of horse does he ride, where did he get his hat, what does he shoot with.

Filler is the real deal. Let's embrace him and enjoy the ride. I don't care if he's from Germany at this juncture. We got Tyler and Sky now. Their turn will come too.

Way off base as more emotional excitement will not rise the popularity of pool in the USA, actually nothing realistically will bring it back to its peak of popularity.

Nothing wrong with expecting a professional to celebrate AFTER winning instead of potentially prematurely seconds before.

If he somehow missed that 9, you most likely would be one of the first bashing him for premature celebration.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Understand something....when you win a world championship you can do whatever the **** you want

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from what i've heard he's always been very animated like this. i don't care, and i don't think the cue on the floor or climbing up on the table was a big deal. i didn't mind earl doing it either, because like filler he played entertaining and passionate pool. i think it's a trade-off, extrovert players with high self confidence and big passion tends to show their emotions more than others. i can happily trade that for being able to watch fast and loose pool instead of kaci-like grinders

earl was my idol, shooting pool the way it's supposed to be played. no soft-breaking, slow playing bs. unfortunately his sharking and erratic behaviour turned worse with age, but in my book he is still the best shooter pool has ever seen

i wonder how much of this disdain for filler has to do with his nationality and (lets be honest) punchable face..

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opinions are like..............

Brian, I wasn't referring to your post. Of course, your opinion is welcome, as is everyone's opinion.
I have a strong disdain for those who ridicule professional pool players' appearances, looks, and name-calling. That was the point of my post.
I have a strong disdain for pool players or any other person in the public eye/entertainment business who is overweight, has rotten teeth, or dresses like he/she just rode into town on a watermelon truck. Those are some outward indicators of a deep seated inner weakness. (which can be easily exploited in competition).
The name calling I can do without. Since it is usually something women do collectively when they get together to bash men...."ewwwwww he is such a creep, he actually asked me to have a drink. Maybe I can sue him"
I'm glad my opinion is also welcome (as you so elegantly put it in the first part of your post)
:)

Last edited: