Finishing question

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi Dan,

I spray horizontally and don't spin the cue.

After each pass I rotate the jig so my spray fan gets a little over lap in the butt cap area as my start point.

I have spun but I like the no spin a lot better. It is easier for me concerning the distribution of the clear and I can control my travel speed by watching the wetness factor during the lateral pass of the gun much easier when the cue is not spinning.

Spin or no spin does not really matter. It is the final product finish where the rubber meets the road.

Rick

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Up until recently I'd sprayed my cues vertically, but then decided to build a horizontal spray rig. In short, it's powered by a 300 RPM gear-reduction motor and 6:1 pulleys for a final speed of 50 RPMs. I've sprayed a few test pieces, and when I lay down heavier coats, I'm getting overlap patterns that spiral down the piece.

Trying hard to figure this out through trial & error, but I'll probably go through a lot of clear before getting it right. Should I slow down while taking the gun across the cue. Speed up the RPMs? Perhaps a wider the spray fan? More reducer? All the above?

someone once told me it's impossible to spray at my 550 rpms

but i do , have for 6 years

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I spray my cues at the lowest speed of a Craftsman lathe at 850rpm. No issues so far.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
i'm bettin Brent has finish on the ceiling and the opposing wall where he sprays. Probably a shadow of Brent on the wall where the finish landed on him instead of the wall.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm bettin Brent has finish on the ceiling and the opposing wall where he sprays. Probably a shadow of Brent on the wall where the finish landed on him instead of the wall.

When that happens ,the amount you are putting on is too thick.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member

no way buddy
i have no slingage (is that a word?) :grin:
no runs no drips no humps no bumps
when i can see the line of light reflecting like pictured, i'm a happy camper
sprayed yesterday, 9 coats with a $17 (shipped) .5mm gun
i beleive the speed i use helps flatten & level out the clear
yeah i know, they dont spin a car when spraying it :D
but this works for me
maybe santy claus will bring me a nice $400 sata gun

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 252
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
cant argue with that., until recently i've never been able to get finish to lay down like that. Man its a good feeling when you do!

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no way buddy
i have no slingage (is that a word?) :grin:
no runs no drips no humps no bumps
when i can see the line of light reflecting like pictured, i'm a happy camper
sprayed yesterday, 9 coats with a $17 (shipped) .5mm gun
i beleive the speed i use helps flatten & level out the clear
yeah i know, they dont spin a car when spraying it :D
but this works for me
maybe santy claus will bring me a nice $400 sata gun

Slingage
Coined by Zeus of the popular MMA site MiddleEasy, "it's a way to denote that a person has insulted someone by 'slinging' words at them."
Dude, you caught some major slingage!

I don't think 'slingage' is what you meant. Perhaps you meant 'slobbage'?

Slobbage
slobbage (noun) : The dirt, mess, and general funk left behind after an individual moves out of an apartment, home, sells their car, changes their desk, etc...

No, it's not 'slobbage' either. Maybe you were thinking 'slippage'; would that be what you're looking for. I think 'spillage' would be more grammatically correct although nothing was actually spilled. Maybe 'floppage' since it's flopping around. Yes, it's 'floppage!

Floppage
floppage: noun 1: The measure of an object's current state of horizontal, vertical, or diagonal flopping.

Then there is always runnoffage, excessage, toomuchage. It's too early for this.

:grin:

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Finish question

I've done it just about all the ways mentioned above. What works best for me is horizontal, spinning. I have a 0-1750 rpm DC motor and controller. I sent the rpm to where I can walk the wetted area down the cue with out barber polling. If you are spraying the proper
thickness, it's amazing how fast you can spin the cue with out fly off.
Last time I shot clear( I also shoot uv this way) I started wtih 2000 to knock off a few
dust nibs and some minor leveling. Then buff. I've got an old sata minijet 2 with 1.0sr nozzle set that will atomize just about anything we would shoot. Back then it was
just over 200.00. Money well spent. I recently bought a cheap harbour freight gun to shoot
uv isolator and it worked pretty good, but it didn't atomize the material like the Sata. And it sure didn't clean up as easily.