First cue tip install

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first cue tip install on my McDermott cue, had a lepro on it and decided to change to an elk master. Only tools I used were a utility knife, sand paper and glue. Just looking to see if I have done it right/ any advice for future installs.

Thanks,

Spencer Hughes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It looks like the tip is not flush with the ferrule. But that could be an illusion from the camera.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Look like you glued a 12.5mm tip on a 13mm shaft.
The tip is smaller then the ferrule it looks like. Not good.
You need to buy the tips larger then the shaft and trim
of the excess with a sharp knife and then sand it round.

It also looks like you sanded the half inch of
wood just below the ferrule, again, not good.

gr. Dave

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
As far as doing it "right" well there is now a tip on the end of your ferrule. As far as any advice, don't do tips anymore. Find someone who does it regularly.

Good thing is at least it was only a McDermott.... I second the "not good"

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
As far as doing it "right" well there is now a tip on the end of your ferrule. As far as any advice, don't do tips anymore. Find someone who does it regularly.

Good thing is at least it was only a McDermott.... I second the "not good"
Just another negative reply!
if you don't have anything positive to say why say anything?
Look like you glued a 12.5mm tip on a 13mm shaft.
The tip is smaller then the ferrule it looks like. Not good.
You need to buy the tips larger then the shaft and trim
of the excess with a sharp knife and then sand it round.

It also looks like you sanded the half inch of
wood just below the ferrule, again, not good.

gr. Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

Do you have glasses? Did you see what he did to his ferrule?

YES it was "another negative reply". BECAUSE if the OP did a little research on YouTube he'd have found at least 1 nice video showing how to NOT damage his cue....

By the way, Where is YOUR stellar advice??

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did it myself because there is no cue repairmen around myrtle beach area....hopefully I can still play with it and I'll try better next time....thanks for the replies.

Spencer

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the help...next time do you recommend buying 14mm tips to install as my ferrule is 13mm? Also should I just buy a new shaft replacement from ozone and have the tip I want placed prior to shipping?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tip replacement

This is my first cue tip install on my McDermott cue, had a lepro on it and decided to change to an elk master. Only tools I used were a utility knife, sand paper and glue. Just looking to see if I have done it right/ any advice for future installs.

Thanks,

Spencer Hughes

Hi spencer

Your messing up.......................... if you like that cue then you shouldn't practice on it.

You don't sand on the ferrule nor the shaft, You did both...........
Take the cue to a cue repair person that owns a lathe...................
As of right now the ferrule needs to be shortened or replaced and if you keep on doing what you last time and your shaft will be destroyed..

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Probably because the original poster specificially asked for feedback on the quality of his install? If he didn't do a good job, it wouldn't be very nice or respectful at all to tell him he did.

KMRUNOUT

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

Because the OP asked for a critical review of his work.

In keeping with today's education self-esteem programs: Shugg you are AWESOME! You did a great job! You and Mortuary Mike get the same "Participation Trophy".

If your budget allows it, I'd invest in a 2nd shaft. When you need a new tip just send it to a qualified cue repairman and use the second shaft while it's gone.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Agree with Mike on finding a repairman with lathe. If you want to get good at it yourself though, I would avoid razor blades, utility knives and the like. Tape the ferrule, and use sandpaper on a tip that starts out bigger than the ferrule. Then, patience is the key.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Agree with Mike on finding a repairman with lathe. If you want to get good at it yourself though, I would avoid razor blades, utility knives and the like. Tape the ferrule, and use sandpaper on a tip that starts out bigger than the ferrule. Then, patience is the key.

Hoot,

Razor blades and utility knifes are fine in a pinch, if you use some basic care, when you truly have no one to do it for you but as Mike said he now needs to find a repairman with a lathe to repair the ferrule...

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
It looks like the tip is not flush with the ferrule. But that could be an illusion from the camera.

Agreed, you either sanded the bottom of the to on an angle or something else is wrong. Being elk masters are cheap they are great to practice with, just cut it off and start over.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hoot,

Razor blades and utility knifes are fine in a pinch, if you use some basic care, when you truly have no one to do it for you but as Mike said he now needs to find a repairman with a lathe to repair the ferrule...

True Tim, blades CAN be used, but I've seen so many scratched and gouged ferrules, as well as chewed up tip sides over the years, that it's not something I'd recommend for everyone. Here are a few examples of my own tape and sandpaper method, with no contact with the ferrule. It takes a lot longer than whittling away with blades, but, afterall, I'm an incurable perfectionist. :)

Attachments

• DSCN0378.jpg
    DSCN0378.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCN0346.jpg
    DSCN0346.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 508

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Wild wing how do you get it so precise?

It's like when the kid asked the old man how do I get to Carnegie Hall?

The old man said, practice son, practice...

I've been doing it for 40 years, so that's part of the answer. But here are the steps:

After installing the tip, wrap the ferrule with tape. I recommend Scotch freezer tape, as it comes off the easiest without leaving a residue.

I put the shaft in a thick towel, and put gently in a vise, so I can use strips of sandpaper and rotate the shaft inside the towel. I use 400 grit sandpaper for this. The sandpaper contacts the tip and tape, but not the ferrule. Don't sand too much on one piece of tape; keep replacing the tape after a few rotations, or you'll sand through the tape.

After several pieces of tape, you'll get to the point where it's hard to sand down any more tip, but you'll still have a little lip of the tip beyond the ferrule. At this point, you put the tape on as usual, but 2 to 3 millimeters or so below the tip, exposing a tiny bit of ferrule. Don't worry, the thickness of the tape will prevent you hitting the ferrule. Keep sanding with the strip of sandpaper, but check the tip carefully after each rotation until you've got that tip nice and flush, but still no contact to the ferrule, as you can see. Once it's perfect, finish the sides of the tip by burnishing, and shape the top of the tip.

It is a bit tedious to do, but you asked how I get it precise. Those are the steps.

All the best,
WW

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Absolutely. It will not only give you some excess to trim so the tip is flush with the ferrule, it the tip will also have a bit more meat on it at the crown.

Thanks for the help...next time do you recommend buying 14mm tips to install as my ferrule is 13mm? Also should I just buy a new shaft replacement from ozone and have the tip I want placed prior to shipping?