Flat pool racks

Velvet Hammer

Greetings, I am a good player and teacher, and was thinking of buying one of the flat pool racks that seem to be around now.
My local guy sells the magic rack but is out, I would really like to try one of them before I buy. Actually I'd like to try them all to see what I liked best.
Any thoughts, experience, or advise from the group would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Whatever rack you get, two things are important. Too heavy a rack, if dropped will cut the cloth. Make sure the rack allows good room for the fingers to push em tight against one another. You can find a good plastic for around $30 that will do the trick.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever rack you get, two things are important. Too heavy a rack, if dropped will cut the cloth. Make sure the rack allows good room for the fingers to push em tight against one another. You can find a good plastic for around $30 that will do the trick.

I think he’s talking about a template rack. Magic rack, accu-rack, etc…

They all work well. I like the accu-rack because it lasts longer for me. If it gets a bend or kink in it, a touch with an iron brings it back to life…

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings, I am a good player and teacher, and was thinking of buying one of the flat pool racks that seem to be around now.
My local guy sells the magic rack but is out, I would really like to try one of them before I buy. Actually I'd like to try them all to see what I liked best.
Any thoughts, experience, or advise from the group would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David
Accu-Rack

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used three quite a bit: magic rack, turtle rack and accu-rack. In my experience, if the balls being used are fairly new, all three racks work very well. But if the balls are older with a lot of wear and tear and consequently a little smaller than newer balls, the accu-rack will generally continue to rack tight, whereas the magic rack will often have some gaps - with the turtle rack in between.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After seeing quiet a few pool matches with Magic racks and the balls settling because of the racks I think I'll stick with a normal rack.
most triangle racks are so bad you can't get balls to freeze consistently. accu-rack allows a perfect freeze. the delta13 rack is best triangle rack(haven't seen the new Pred rack yet) but its noisy without some kind of insert to quiet it.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Poor man use 15 hole reinforcers, that are peal n stick.

What I call White Donuts.🥳
This is a terrible idea unless you have some sort of template to line them up with, then you still have to worry about human error when applying them.

Besides, template racks are extremely affordable regardless.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This is a terrible idea unless you have some sort of template to line them up with, then you still have to worry about human error when applying them.

Well I have seen guy lays out the white donuts, who were too cheap to buy magic rack.

Project to time once.

Honestly s cheap plastic or wood rack works for most people.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What kind of misfiring synapses are in control?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everybody's forgetting that John Schmidt set his record using the Perma Rack system which uses the donuts mounted on the table surface and just recently Jason Shaw used a similar system by Outsville. I have the Perma rack system on my table.

ap.jpg

ao.png

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the Perma Rack system better because the template can last years and years and you can get the page savers (donuts) at any office supply store. I've been using this system for about 4 months now. Haven't touched my custom Westley rack since installing the system.

Rack.jpg

Last edited:

stewie

I like the Outsville Accu Rack best for 2 reasons:
  • the holes are not round, but tapered. So, before putting in the last ball you can push the rack forward and let it fall back in place. Somebody mentioned smaller, used balls and these handle them best, IMHO
  • they roll up and get flat again. I bought a 1-1/2 in. x 12 in. sink drain pipe: roll it up in there and it fits in my case. They need a few minutes to get flat again, but by the time you warmed up, they are ready to go
The plastic ones I owned before never get back in shape, once rolled up. And they were damaged more easily.