FlipVideo Ultra HD (yes, its pool related)

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member
FlipVideo Ultra HD (yes, its pool related) + Short Vid of me shooting.

After knocking the idea around for a few months, I finally broke down a purchased a video camera.

I ended up picking up one of these:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/flip-ultrahd-black/4505-6500_7-33637213.html

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-ATR1B-Tripod/dp/B000VJRUKS

I wanted something that was easy to use and inconspicuous. Nothing would drive me more crazy than every person in the pool hall constantly interrupting my practce/play time with questions like, "Whats that?" or "Why are you taping yourself?"

After only having it a few days, I already believe it will make positive changes in my game. There is really something about seeing yourself move/jump up on shot that has far more impact than someone just telling you.....

Ive been playing this game for about 10 years, and this is the first time I have gotten to see myself play (With the exception of a lesson I got from Scott Lee)

The device records for two hours on its rechargable battery life/built in memory, which is more than enough for a long practice session or a Ghost race. It comes will all the video editing software built into the device, so there is no software installation necessary. It records in 720p, and the picture quality is good enough in low light situations like pool rooms. The software will link up with your Facebook and youtube accounts for easy sharing.

I also want to throw in a plug for the Magic Rack. Ive been using it for about a week, and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Its a fantastic product. No more wasting time leaning over the rack getting the balls to touch. I love it.

And for your viewing pleasure, here is me (Im the guy breaking) shooting a few racks on table 11 at Park Place Billiards. One of the wonky-er (is that a word) tables in the area. Tight pockets, deep shelves, rolls off some, and the pockets are cut a little off......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJ9v-pSFXg

Last edited:

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a Flip Ultra HD, and I love it. I posted a vid of myself a couple months ago, and I got a lot of great feedback. Keep the videos coming, Bryan!

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Peripheral Equipment for the Flip Ultra HD

I am really not very technical so could you please give me an idea of how much mounting brackets cost to set one of these up in my pool room at home? Also, any other information you could share with a moron would be gratefully appreciated. The quality of your video looked great. Thanks for sharing this information with other AZers.
nelldrake@lakemartin.net

Cue: McDermott with I2 shaft.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta tell you from a guy who has used 20 dollar video cameras to 20,000 dollar video cameras the quality on that little thing really is astounding !!! Well done great video.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I actually work for Cisco, the manufacturers of that camarea and I just absolutelly love it.
Very good pick!!!
Nice video as well.

After knocking the idea around for a few months, I finally broke down a purchased a video camera.

I ended up picking up one of these:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/flip-ultrahd-black/4505-6500_7-33637213.html

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-ATR1B-Tripod/dp/B000VJRUKS

I wanted something that was easy to use and inconspicuous. Nothing would drive me more crazy than every person in the pool hall constantly interrupting my practce/play time with questions like, "Whats that?" or "Why are you taping yourself?"

After only having it a few days, I already believe it will make positive changes in my game. There is really something about seeing yourself move/jump up on shot that has far more impact than someone just telling you.....

Ive been playing this game for about 10 years, and this is the first time I have gotten to see myself play (With the exception of a lesson I got from Scott Lee)

The device records for two hours on its rechargable battery life/built in memory, which is more than enough for a long practice session or a Ghost race. It comes will all the video editing software built into the device, so there is no software installation necessary. It records in 720p, and the picture quality is good enough in low light situations like pool rooms. The software will link up with your Facebook and youtube accounts for easy sharing.

I also want to throw in a plug for the Magic Rack. Ive been using it for about a week, and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Its a fantastic product. No more wasting time leaning over the rack getting the balls to touch. I love it.

And for your viewing pleasure, here is me (Im the guy breaking) shooting a few racks on table 11 at Park Place Billiards. One of the wonky-er (is that a word) tables in the area. Tight pockets, deep shelves, rolls off some, and the pockets are cut a little off......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJ9v-pSFXg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have one too and the quality is quite good. Better than the Samsung and the Sony I own.

Works on two AA batteries that actually last quite a while.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
For anyone looking to purchase one of these, the Kodak Zi8 is a better option, as it slightly outclasses the Flip (higher ranked in almost every tech review online). It has a removable SD card, an external sound jack, a better built case, and contains all the other typical features that the Flip has, like an HDMI-out jack.

Same price point as well. $149.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
For anyone looking to purchase one of these, the Kodak Zi8 is a better option, as it slightly outclasses the Flip (higher ranked in almost every tech review online). It has a removable SD card, an external sound jack, a better built case, and contains all the other typical features that the Flip has, like an HDMI-out jack.

I noticed that the Flip didn't advertise an HDMI jack and was wondering if they had an accessory hdmi cable that I didn't see.

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member
I noticed that the Flip didn't advertise an HDMI jack and was wondering if they had an accessory hdmi cable that I didn't see.

The Ultra HD Flip does have an HDMI out. There is a Mini HDMI jack on the side of the camera.

The cable is not included, but a no name brand cable can be had online for < $5....

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The Ultra HD Flip does have an HDMI out. There is a Mini HDMI jack on the side of the camera.

The cable is not included, but a no name brand cable can be had online for < $5....

ahhhh, thanks again.

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
I have the same camera (mino flip HD) that I use on one of those little mini flexible tripods. I use it for pool, my band, family stuff, etc... It's about the size of a cell phone so you can just throw it in your pocket. it couldn't be any simpler.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member

While doing a lil shopping online for the Flip, I ran across the ZI8 and was going to ask if anyone had used that one. I thought the Zi8 would have an advantage if I wanted to add more memory.

Thanks for your input Nathan.

Anyone else use the Kodak and have any thoughts? Not trying to take over the thread but would love to hear some comparisons as this will be one of my near future purchases.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
While doing a lil shopping online for the Flip, I ran across the ZI8 and was going to ask if anyone had used that one. I thought the Zi8 would have an advantage if I wanted to add more memory.

Thanks for your input Nathan.

Anyone else use the Kodak and have any thoughts? Not trying to take over the thread but would love to hear some comparisons as this will be one of my near future purchases.

No problem. :)

I did a fair amount of research on these two units recently, as I just purchased a Zi8 myself. I have two $5,000 camcorders, but they're massive. These little pocket cams are great for getting a camera into places where a real camcorder can't.

The Zi8 has *drastically* better sound than the Flip. It has sharper footage, better low-light capabilities, an external mic jack, and has the external SD slot. It can also shoot 720p60, which is nice feature.

The only downside is that the Zi8's footage is tinted slightly red, almost as if the color balance is off a bit. For me, I can easily correct this on my computer afterwords, so it's not really an issue.

If you Google the two, you'll find a ton of comparison reviews. I only saw one review that rated the Flip higher, and the guy clearly forgot to take note of the audio differences. Neither device can compare to the quality of a real digital camcorder, but they're still pretty remarkable relative to their size and cost.

Review:

http://gizmodo.com/5325151/kodak-zi8-wallops-flip-with-1080p-image-stabilizer-and-sd-slot

A Youtube clip filmed with the Zi8 of some cute Chinese Taipei girls at Hooters: (lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ln2EcGHPg

Last edited:

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member
No problem. :)

I did a fair amount of research on these two units recently, as I just purchased a Zi8 myself. I have two $5,000 camcorders, but they're massive. These little pocket cams are great for getting a camera into places where a real camcorder can't.

The Zi8 has *drastically* better sound than the Flip. It has sharper footage, better low-light capabilities, an external mic jack, and has the external SD slot. It can also shoot 720p60, which is nice feature.

The only downside is that the Zi8's footage is tinted slightly red, almost as if the color balance is off a bit. For me, I can easily correct this on my computer afterwords, so it's not really an issue.

If you Google the two, you'll find a ton of comparison reviews. I only saw one review that rated the Flip higher, and the guy clearly forgot to take note of the audio differences. Neither device can compare to the quality of a real digital camcorder, but they're still pretty remarkable relative to their size and cost.

Review:

http://gizmodo.com/5325151/kodak-zi8-wallops-flip-with-1080p-image-stabilizer-and-sd-slot

A Youtube clip filmed with the Zi8 of some cute Chinese Taipei girls at Hooters: (lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ln2EcGHPg

How is the battery life on the Zi8?

From what I have read, its about 90 minutes of non stop recording 720p30.'

More videos of hooters girls.... :-D

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member
I also have a Flip Ultra HD, and I love it. I posted a vid of myself a couple months ago, and I got a lot of great feedback. Keep the videos coming, Bryan!

I am supposed to be hitting some with Donny Mills again this upcoming Sunday (with an ever growing, ridiculous, amount of weight.) If he doesnt mind, Ill post the first two hours of the trouncing up here for everyone's viewing pleasure. :thumbup:

interman

Registered
Oh great I went from not realizing I need a video camera, to seriously considering the zi8. My wallet hates you, nathandumoulin :D

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks Nathan :D

The only downside I can see to the Zi8 is the extra cost of the memory to get up to the memory size of the Flip. But the plus is you can go even larger if you want (among other things).

Video quality is good enough on both units, but I do like the ability to go to the 720p60. Might help if trying to slow mo a stroke or golf swing.

Woody

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thanks Nathan :D

The only downside I can see to the Zi8 is the extra cost of the memory to get up to the memory size of the Flip. But the plus is you can go even larger if you want (among other things).

Video quality is good enough on both units, but I do like the ability to go to the 720p60. Might help if trying to slow mo a stroke or golf swing.

Woody

What year is that Harley? Johnnyt