Flying commercial airline, it appears I'll need to check my cue as baggage and cannot "carry-on". Thoughts/options?

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be flying Southwest soon and my JB case is 39" long and SW airlines policy is; "Your carryon can be no bigger than 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H). If it’s bigger than those dimensions, it will need to be checked". Since my case is 39" long I'll have to check my cue/case as baggage. I don't like this idea much. Any ideas about a protective case of some sort to put it in? I was thinking something like a gun/rifle case if I could find one that would work.
Thanks for any replies.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I will be flying Southwest soon and my JB case is 39" long and SW airlines policy is; "Your carryon can be no bigger than 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H). If it’s bigger than those dimensions, it will need to be checked". Since my case is 39" long I'll have to check my cue/case as baggage. I don't like this idea much. Any ideas about a protective case of some sort to put it in? I was thinking something like a gun/rifle case if I could find one that would work.
Thanks for any replies.

Harbor Freight Rifle Cases are Chineses Copies of Pelican brand.

Use small one a Travel Cigar Case, served me well for years.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Unfortunately, pool cues have been considered "weapons" that must be checked for a long time. I think maybe 20 years now. So, the carry on bag issue really isn't the problem. [https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/pool-cue]

When I travel with my cues, I just grab a rolling duffle and put my JB case inside it. I get everything in one bag. Easy peasy. Some folks have bad luck checking cue, but I've done it this way for a decade without issue.

Check out this thread. https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/how-to-pack-your-cues-on-airplane.543915/#post-7279990

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PROTEGE-...Pc5QEl-15fkruigJsz8aAgZiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

-td

skiergd011013

if you care deeply for your cue, i wouldnt consider checking it in. I bought a brand new rolling luggage bag for my last trip, and by the time i picked it up at baggage claim, the wheels were smashed, and it looked like they played football with it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
if you care deeply for your cue, i wouldnt consider checking it in. I bought a brand new rolling luggage bag for my last trip, and by the time i picked it up at baggage claim, the wheels were smashed, and it looked like they played football with it.

People who work baggage at air ports do not handle with care. Its b just a piece of baggage. No big deal, maybe if it was theirs they might care.

The airline ticket has all sort of terms, conditions, you are subject to if you fly, and check belongings. Printed on ticket, who reads this fine print?

The airlines liability is limited, so why should they care if they lose, damage, or destroy your checked property?

Same applies to USPS, UPS, or FedX its just a package.

Actually had FedX Ground run over a Long Wood Shipping Container made or 2 x 4’s, and Plywood. After I stood off, before it got to person sent to

Took over 6 month to get paid off because of their employee neglect.

Contents went from be Custom Flintlock Rifle, to Scrap Metal, and many Pieces of Wood.

Guy on receiving end got all the pieces in black plastic bags. His photos of shipping contained showed tire marks.

That was my last dealing with FedX, claim process is ugly.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Unfortunately, pool cues have been considered "weapons" that must be checked for a long time. I think maybe 20 years now. So, the carry on bag issue really isn't the problem. [https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/pool-cue]

When I travel with my cues, I just grab a rolling duffle and put my JB case inside it. I get everything in one bag. Easy peasy. Some folks have bad luck checking cue, but I've done it this way for a decade without issue.

Check out this thread. https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/how-to-pack-your-cues-on-airplane.543915/#post-7279990

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PROTEGE-...Pc5QEl-15fkruigJsz8aAgZiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

-td
I've been doing it this way for 20 years, over 100 flights international and domestic...never had a problem. :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I just grab a rolling duffle and put my JB case inside it.
I've been doing it this way for 20 years, over 100 flights international and domestic...never had a problem.
I wrap my cue in bubble wrap and stuff that inside a PVC tube with caps on both ends (glued one end, taped the other) and check it. The plane would have to run over it to cause any damage.

The only wrinkle is that it looks like a pipe bomb, so I always go to the TSA counter first to let them examine and stamp it "TSA inspected" before taping the top cap on.

pj
chgo

Podunker

That sucks. I had a cue that went in with the regular air freight in the 90's. The pressure is different there. The weather was damp and humid heading to Charlotte. The shafts swelled with the moisture and pressure. Both ferrules cracked and had to be repaired.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you file a claim with the airline?

I solved that problem by getting a rolling duffel with a lifetime warranty. Bottom bracing fixed once and a free set of wheels when the baggage handlers managed to grind flat spots on both wheels. Eagle Creek. Wheels replaced at 14 years old.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for any replies.
Take a few pictures of the Cue and Case, use a airline approved lock and insure them for two times their value.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has been a nationwide ban (probably even worldwide) on pool cues for at least 25 years now, for weapons reasons. The only option is to put them in your checked luggage.

10 or so years ago the govt said pool cues are "now ok". But the flight attendants association said no due to the hassle.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I got you covered.

1669331953290.png

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
This is one of the more common thread topics on here. When you consider what option is cheapest (both in up front cost and in avoiding extra checked baggage fees etc), will work best, is easiest, most convenient, etc, in each of these type threads it is always the same best two answers.

Either get a suitcase that is large enough for your cue case to go inside it, and just pack your clothes etc around it. They aren't real common in a length long enough to hold a cue case, but they aren't very difficult to find either, and you can find both hard sided and soft sided suitcases that are long enough. Also, with whatever longest suitcase you already own, don't forget to see if your case will fit diagonally even if it won't fit lengthwise.

Or

Get a rolling duffel bag that is large enough for your cue case as well as the rest of your clothes etc. These are easy to find anywhere including Walmart in lengths more than long enough to fit any cue case. The ones that have sturdier frames will offer better protection.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of the more common thread topics on here. When you consider what option is cheapest (both in up front cost and in avoiding extra checked baggage fees etc), will work best, is easiest, most convenient, etc, in each of these type threads it is always the same best two answers.

Either get a suitcase that is large enough for your cue case to go inside it, and just pack your clothes etc around it. They aren't real common in a length long enough to hold a cue case, but they aren't very difficult to find either, and you can find both hard sided and soft sided suitcases that are long enough. Also, with whatever longest suitcase you already own, don't forget to see if your case will fit diagonally even if it won't fit lengthwise.

Or

Get a rolling duffel bag that is large enough for your cue case as well as the rest of your clothes etc. These are easy to find anywhere including Walmart in lengths more than long enough to fit any cue case. The ones that have sturdier frames will offer better protection.

Yep, this seems to be the most practical way to get it there, that and I'll only have one bag to carry. Thanks for all the replies.