flying with my cues?? HELP!!!

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
The airline will not allow me to carry-on my cue case. I need some advice on how to pack my cues for under the plane, The case is 36" long and I don't have a suit case that big. thanks Sam.

erica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The airline will not allow me to carry-on my cue case. I need some advice on how to pack my cues for under the plane, The case is 36" long and I don't have a suit case that big. thanks Sam.

I guess you could just keep them in the case, assuming it is hard case that will protect them. Airlines will allow you to check your case and I believe the contents are insured automatically up to 2500$ (not sure if 2500$ is still the figure, but it was a couple years back). If I was you I would just ask the airline what their insurance policy is. You most likely will be correct in assuming the hard case will keep them physically safe. The other worry would be the airline not losing your checked luggage. You could always UPS them to wherever your going..... good luck
Erica

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Another option is to buy a cheap, but sturdy, duffel bag. Pack your clothes, towels and other soft stuff around the case.

RayBell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When we traveled to Chicago last month for TAP Nationals, the airline allowed us to carry on our cases, but, not the cues. I put my cues in soft cases and packed them in my suitcase between all my clothes. Then, just carried the empty cue case with me. Didn't have a problem...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to Leow's or Home Depot and buy some plastic PVC pipe of the diameter needed to hold your cues and shafts. Buy a "cap" for one end and glue it on and buy a cap with threads for the other end and screw it on.

Wrap your cues in something soft (towels, paper, etc.) and put them in the tube and seal it. Make sure you label it well with your name, address, etc. and put it with your checked baggage. Lot of fishermen use this type of rig to carry their fishing poles.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Just flew to Mosconi Cup, put my cue in my suitcase, wrapped in socks (a single case was 3/4" short of fitting). Allow me to tell you what NOT to do.

I arrove, my sniper tip had fallen off - My ferrule sustained traumatic damage. So, I played like a donkey in Vegas with a house cue. Got home, with CSI American Rotation matches on a timeline. My cue, 39 years old, has a brass dowell up inside the ferrule and a "step-up" of wood at the ferrules base. Major surgery. I then used my Kamui voucher, from Cantrill's Earl vs Shane PPV. I called the cue doctor. Had to immediately jump in the American Rotation ring, unchalked. I felt like I was playing left handed, on stream no less.

I should have fed ex'd it to and fro Vegas. Traveling with a cue - I blew it, and paid for it in more ways than one.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I made a travel case out of an 8" concrete form from home depot. The thing has made several flights with no problems or damage of any kind. Cost about $15 total to make

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Just flew to Mosconi Cup, put my cue in my suitcase, wrapped in socks (a single case was 3/4" short of fitting). Allow me to tell you what NOT to do.

I arrove, my sniper tip had fallen off - My ferrule sustained traumatic damage. So, I played like a donkey in Vegas with a house cue. Got home, with CSI American Rotation matches on a timeline. My cue, 39 years old, has a brass dowell up inside the ferrule and a "step-up" of wood at the ferrules base. Major surgery. I then used my Kamui voucher, from Cantrill's Earl vs Shane PPV. I called the cue doctor. Had to immediately jump in the American Rotation ring, unchalked. I felt like I was playing left handed, on stream no less.

I should have fed ex'd it to and fro Vegas. Traveling with a cue - I blew it, and paid for it in more ways than one.

Hey I member you! I saw you at Best Billiards.......whos the kid on your back???

Attachments

• gt6fjKF.jpg
    gt6fjKF.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 421

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I thought the rules were changed to allow sporting equipment like cues to be carried on. Is it only certain airlines that still don't allow it?

It was a proposed bill (or whatever they call it). Seemed so promising. It included pool cues, short knives :eek:, fishing poles and I dunno - battery operated devices ;) . It never passed and appears dead in the water right now. :mad:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I bought an old Haliburton for the baggage handling crew, and I put a soft case in my suitcase to use once I get to the hotel.