? For Cue Builders only!!

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Bob's correct

You may think you're traveling the road of nobility but you're also opening the door of discrimination.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I build cues for the player and collector. If they want to play with it or put another shaft on it that is fine. I am also okay with the collector who wants to keep his cue in mint condition and never hit a ball with it. About the only thing that bugs me is when I have discounted a cue to a very high caliper player because they keep telling me how much exposure I will get with them playing with my cue and then hear they sold it or gambled it away.
Seems like I just keep having to relearn that lesson every several years. :smile:

Ive stopped listening to "players" who want to promote my cues. They are usually just playing games.

LosOsosCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind at all. Some people like a LD shaft, its not a crime. Personally I like a maple shaft. Putting the cue in storage is okay with me a well. They feel its nice enough to have but don't want to play with it all the time or ever. I just like to see someone take care of the cue what ever they chose to do with it. I'ver got a cue back from a customer who decided he did not like the guy he was playing so he used it as a bat. Fixed it, and now its back in for a refinish because he missed a shot and slammed the butt end and broke the Ivory butt cap. I'll fix it every time, but I do wish he took better care of it.

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is more maddening:
Someone buying a cue you built and putting a off the shelf LD shaft on it.
Someone buying your cue only to put in storage

Second one.
I would not trust ANY custom build shaft, ever.
(SS360 is not a custom shaft for me, for example).

Do be so personal about this.

Cheers,
M

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that I have made more than a few simple full splice cues from pre made blanks, but what you do with your cue after you have payed for it, is your business.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, a cue maker may well be passionate about their craft, they still have to eat unless they have some bottomless pit to draw funds from. Reputation and quality get you those funds

As someone who builds stuff for a living (not cues, by the way) I couldn't agree more. I'm grateful for every sale, and the only thing that would upset me is if the customer wasn't satisfied and happy. Anyhow, no matter what anyone does, I can always build an identical one if it matters that much to me. I'm a pro...there's no luck or magic involved, so there's really no reason to ever get upset.

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second one.
I would not trust ANY custom build shaft, ever.
(SS360 is not a custom shaft for me, for example).

Do be so personal about this.

Cheers,
M

Not custom? Sorry, although I now also sell standard spec shafts through Seybert's the largest part of my business is personally making custom SS360 shafts to fit most any cue out there, to most any spec, including for my custom cues.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not custom? Sorry, although I now also sell standard spec shafts through Seybert's the largest part of my business is personally making custom SS360 shafts to fit most any cue out there, to most any spec, including for my custom cues.

I hope I don't raise any feathers, but what actually defines a "SS360" shaft?

It is the materials, the length, the taper, the joint, the tip, or a combination thereof?

What is the difference between a stock shaft that Seybert's carries and your "custom" shaft? Can a customer order specs other than a custom-fitted joint and collar?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
SS360 definitely Custom

It is the materials, the length, the taper, the joint, the tip, or a combination thereof?

What is the difference between a stock shaft that Seybert's carries and your "custom" shaft? Can a customer order specs other than a custom-fitted joint and collar?

SS360 is a custom built shaft by Bob Danielson, no question of that. He now supplies them to Seyberts.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SS360 is a custom built shaft by Bob Danielson, no question of that. He now supplies them to Seyberts.

Who are they customized to?

Or does the term custom just mean that they are individually crafted? Or that they are unique to that particular shaft?

What exactly does custom mean, in this context?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who are they customized to?

Or does the term custom just mean that they are individually crafted? Or that they are unique to that particular shaft?

What exactly does custom mean, in this context?

Custom built and designed by Bob Danielson and yes individually crafted. I don't prescribe to the theory that a cue is only custom, if built to your personal specs.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shafts for Seybert's come in 10 joint styles/collar combinations as SS360/2 my 2nd gen LD shafts. They also come in 10 joint styles/collar combinations as SS360/P, in this case as 11.75mm which are not 2nd generation.

Customers can order lengths to somewhat over 31",
Ferrule diameters from 13.5mm down to 10.00mm (just finished one at 9.9mm).
Any joint diameter.
A straight for 14" pro taper (not the same as the Seyberts /P) in any diameter down to 10.00mm.
A conical taper down to 10.00mm
Choice of ferrule material/length if other than standard is desired.
Choice of tip of other than standard is desired.
Matching trim rings.
Partials for your favorite cuemaker to finish.
Custom shaft weight (did one at about 11oz with 10.00mm tip).
Most joint threads, don't have the tap for the wavy yet or a couple other odd ones.
And the SS stands for Sweet Spot, has for over 20 years.
I do not match other tapers, my tapers work on my laminated shafts. I can pull the taper back a bit but otherwise it is what it is.
Custom enough?
I personally make all the shafts... from processing boards, cutting triangles, gluing, turning, finishing. I have some help from my g/f while cutting triangles and gluing and have had a couple of helpers over the years but currently no one besides my g/f.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shafts for Seybert's come in 10 joint styles/collar combinations as SS360/2 my 2nd gen LD shafts. They also come in 10 joint styles/collar combinations as SS360/P, in this case as 11.75mm which are not 2nd generation.

Customers can order lengths to somewhat over 31",
Ferrule diameters from 13.5mm down to 10.00mm (just finished one at 9.9mm).
Any joint diameter.
A straight for 14" pro taper (not the same as the Seyberts /P) in any diameter down to 10.00mm.
A conical taper down to 10.00mm
Choice of ferrule material/length if other than standard is desired.
Choice of tip of other than standard is desired.
Matching trim rings.
Partials for your favorite cuemaker to finish.
Custom shaft weight (did one at about 11oz with 10.00mm tip).
Most joint threads, don't have the tap for the wavy yet or a couple other odd ones.
And the SS stands for Sweet Spot, has for over 20 years.
I do not match other tapers, my tapers work on my laminated shafts. I can pull the taper back a bit but otherwise it is what it is.
Custom enough?
I personally make all the shafts... from processing boards, cutting triangles, gluing, turning, finishing. I have some help from my g/f while cutting triangles and gluing and have had a couple of helpers over the years but currently no one besides my g/f.

Thank you for all your information. It sounds like you make something for everyone's needs. I hope to find someone over here who has one that I can try out. I have more cues than I need but a good playing shaft always is nice to add.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom built and designed by Bob Danielson and yes individually crafted. I don't prescribe to the theory that a cue is only custom, if built to your personal specs.

I appreciate the clarification, as this is NOT what custom means in other contexts, so it is confusing,

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I can accept either option. What drives me crazy is when people abuse and break cues that i worked so hard to build. But, like Dale said, its their cue, let em throw it at the wall if they want. Ill sell em another one later. Lol. I make cues for myself that have shafts made from an OB classic partial that i finish. Im fond of the LD shafts myself.

Joe