Foul or not?

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
This happened the other night and I was wondering if you would call a foul on this. I was shooting 8 ball and my opponent scratched giving me ball in hand on the eight. We were using the "measle ball" for all the games that night but on a bar table it doesn't come out on the cue ball end, it goes to where the rest of the ball are. I picked up the regular cue ball (not thinking about it) and used it to shoot the eight in. Nobody noticed or said anything and it wasn't an issue.
I was just wondering if I fouled since I didn't use the correct cue ball that was being used in the game?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
It was white, it was a cue ball. It should be up to your opponent to call a foul (or question it) as soon as you put the ball on the table. If he didn't then he accepted that the ball you chose was in play.

Last edited:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were playing for cash, then yes, it was a foul and you should send the money to me.

Heh, hell no, it was a formality, you grabbed a cue ball and banged your 8 in ... who cares which cue ball you used.

Lazy Ledy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think it was a foul. A cue ball is a cue ball, if your opponent didnt say anything then who cares.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Thanks to all for the feedback. I didn't think it was a foul but I wasn't sure and wanted to be prepared if it ever happens again.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Hold the phone, guys! If you are in a league match or tournament play, and the measles ball was the ball provided for that play...it is a foul to switch out CBs.

Lisa

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Hold the phone, guys! If you are in a league match or tournament play, and the measles ball was the ball provided for that play...it is a foul to switch out CBs.

Lisa
"Ruh Roh" I was in league play. A less than popular league here on AZ...lol. I'll make sure not to let it happen again just to be safe. I think I'll just remove the regular CB at the start of the match. That should fix the situation.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
"Ruh Roh" I was in league play. A less than popular league here on AZ...lol. I'll make sure not to let it happen again just to be safe. I think I'll just remove the regular CB at the start of the match. That should fix the situation.

Not sure which one is the less popular league...LoL...since there are staunch supporters of both. The rule book I was referring to is that of the BCAPL. The APA may handle this situation differently.

Typically, the equipment that is supplied at the beginning of a match, is the equipment that must be used for the duration of that match...unless such time as the equipment is deemed unsuitable by the LO or Referee. At that point, the equipment can be changed, but not during a live game. This relates primarily to tables, ball sets, CBs, and racks.

Lisa

Last edited:

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
This happened the other night and I was wondering if you would call a foul on this. I was shooting 8 ball and my opponent scratched giving me ball in hand on the eight. We were using the "measle ball" for all the games that night but on a bar table it doesn't come out on the cue ball end, it goes to where the rest of the ball are. I picked up the regular cue ball (not thinking about it) and used it to shoot the eight in. Nobody noticed or said anything and it wasn't an issue.
I was just wondering if I fouled since I didn't use the correct cue ball that was being used in the game?

Good question. I'm not sure that I have a position on the issue, but ... it DOES seem wrong to change cue balls during the game.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Technically, it was a foul in BCA play. It's a foul that I wouldn't call on my opponent in that particular situation though. You had bih on the 8 for the win. You pulled out the table cb, put it next to the 8, and shot the 8 in. No big deal. However, if you would have pulled that cb at the beginning of the rack, I would call foul. In that situation, you could theoretically be better at controlling that cb and gaining better position, which would obviously be an advantage to you. In that case I would call foul for swapping regulation equipment. I hope that makes sense.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Technically, it was a foul in BCA play. It's a foul that I wouldn't call on my opponent in that particular situation though. You had bih on the 8 for the win. You pulled out the table cb, put it next to the 8, and shot the 8 in. No big deal. However, if you would have pulled that cb at the beginning of the rack, I would call foul. In that situation, you could theoretically be better at controlling that cb and gaining better position, which would obviously be an advantage to you. In that case I would call foul for swapping regulation equipment. I hope that makes sense.

Really? Please tell me you don't actually believe there are league players that are so in tune with the game that they can control one cue ball better than another? And I'm not talking about a regulation ball vs the huge pay table ball. But even then, really? League players?
MULLY

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Really? Please tell me you don't actually believe there are league players that are so in tune with the game that they can control one cue ball better than another? And I'm not talking about a regulation ball vs the huge pay table ball. But even then, really? League players?
MULLY

90% of our matches are on barboxes. We have one room with big tables. So yes, I am talking about the bowling ball sized bb cueballs. There is definitely a difference in the way a measles ball and a bb ball plays. Even so, I can feel the difference between a red circle cb, and a measles cb. And I play league too. Does that answer your question?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Also Mully, I think you're making the mistake of lumping all league players together. I live in a small town. We have an 8-ball league that is non-sanctioned, non-handicapped, and played under BCA rules. It's 15 bucks a year to play, so a lot of very good players play in it for the cheap table time. We have a couple players who have placed in the money in the Reno Open. We have a couple more players who play money games for a living. These players are certainly "in-tune with the game" to notice how cue balls play differently.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really makes you wonder, at least it does me. your playing with a M c/b. It will not return if you scratch because it it not heavy enough to tip the weight scale. Knowing that, it sounds really stupid to play that way unless the tables are open.

Someone did not do their homework, be it the captains or the room owner. Anytime a player scratches the table has to be opened, by someone, to finish the game. I mean to me that is really a dumb move. The owner should have had open tables and collect green fees. The other option is put in quarters to get your c/b back. The OP did not say if the tables were open or not. It sounds like they were not.

The bb c/b should have been removed by captains or owner before league play started. If someone called a foul on me I'd tell the to shove it where the sun does not shine. I rarely played league because of all the whiny nit picky rules.

I owned a room and I took away the bb c/b's before league and replaced them with red circles. We charged a green fee. Was there a m /cb on every table?

Rod

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member

In a word,no.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member

If one was to infer that perhaps your less than popular league has a name that starts with an 'A' and ends with an 'A' , you may simply refer to their
Official Team Manual:
In the eight-ball rules , section 11, beginning on page 51 , there are various ways to lose; your situation is not covered in that section , and it
therefore does not apply.
So we will move back to section 10 , fouls . on page 49 it clearly states
"these are the only fouls resulting in ball-in-hand.All other violations are sportsmanship violations". Your situation is not listed under this section.
There are certain 'violations' in the league that starts with an 'A' that require the opponent to stop you before you commit them , or no penalty will be assessed. An example would be failing to shoot from behind the
headstring with ball-in-hand on the first shot after a break . The rules say you must do it , but if you don't , and he doesn't stop you prior to the shot , no penalty may be assessed.
Sportmanship violations would require either malicious intent , or a repeated pattern. You had no malicious intent , and you're not going to do it again , soooo ...

YOU WIN !

By the way , if you are dealing with the APA , you can ask them rules questions directly at their website , poolplayers.com by clicking on the contacts box at the top of their page. You generally receive a fast , courteous , and CORRECT reply. Beats the HECK out of 'somebody told me'
it was like this. In my region , even the League operator has frequently had incorrect assessments of the rules until a national 'clarification' is sent.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also Mully, I think you're making the mistake of lumping all league players together. I live in a small town. We have an 8-ball league that is non-sanctioned, non-handicapped, and played under BCA rules. It's 15 bucks a year to play, so a lot of very good players play in it for the cheap table time. We have a couple players who have placed in the money in the Reno Open. We have a couple more players who play money games for a living. These players are certainly "in-tune with the game" to notice how cue balls play differently.

What he said! While I quit playing in leagues several years ago, I can tell you for sure that there are league players who can play with the best amateurs anywhere and can tell the difference between cue balls and how to control them.

Last edited:

sjharr

insert something witty...
Silver Member
Personally, I wouldn't mind if you switched back and forth the entire match, probably just end up sharking yourself anyway. :wink:

I'm curious. Did you start the match with both cue balls already in the table? (I'm assuming you played this match on a barbox) If so, I would be inclined to say that using either one would not be construed as a foul.

Steve H