Found this book online.......has anyone here read it?

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Just ordered "Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards" by Bob Fancher Ph.D. I was going to order "A mind for pool" but this one caught my eye as I was in buying mode on the computer. Has anyone read it? Opinions?
I think I'll still get Capelle's book as well but this one looked interesting.
Sorry....the click to look inside wont work here.

51NXX7CUPLL_BO2204203200_PIsitb-sti.jpg

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Great Book

This book was recommended to me by a friend who noticed that I tried too hard and got frustrated with my performance. It is the greatest. I have read it multiple times and reread certain sections of it repeatedly.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Great....I just want to keep my cool a little better in pressure situations. I usually do well, but I can feel myself starting to become overwhelmed with adrenaline. The last thing I need is to start missing shots because the bloods pumpin' too much. :thumbup:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is definitely not for everybody. Like Scott said, some people have trouble with it. I've read it numerous times and it's done nothing for me. Very cerebral. It is, according to my wife, a left brain/right brain thing. If you're lucky, you'll get something out of it. I wouldn't bother with A Mind for Pool. Of all Capelle's books I liked this one the least.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Great....I just want to keep my cool a little better in pressure situations. I usually do well, but I can feel myself starting to become overwhelmed with adrenaline. The last thing I need is to start missing shots because the bloods pumpin' too much. :thumbup:

This is on the short list of must read books for pool players. I found it to be absolutely brilliant. :thumbup:

It should help you immensely in dealing with those pressure situations.

Best,
Brian kc

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been a few years since I read this book so I really don't remember too much about it. The thing that sticks out in my mind though is I seem to remember him saying that if I miss a hard shot I shouldn't feel bad about it because I'm probably not good enough to make the shot anyway.

Maybe I'm like Roger Clemens and just (misremember) what I read.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just ordered "Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards" by Bob Fancher Ph.D. ... Has anyone read it? Opinions? ...

I liked it. I'd also recommend Timothy Gallwey's "The Inner Game of Tennis" which is mostly about physical competition and therefor applicable to pool. You can get it delivered to your house for $8 total.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
I liked it. I'd also recommend Timothy Gallwey's "The Inner Game of Tennis" which is mostly about physical competition and therefor applicable to pool. You can get it delivered to your house for $8 total.

Heard about that book ..... I'll have to read it as well. The price is deff. right. :thumbup:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I read this long, long, before I read Pleasures of Small Motions. From post #6 I would also recommend Mental Toughness Training for Sports by James E. Loehr, it may be out of print but shouldn't be too hard to find. This addresses the concerns you mention, among other things. Also Winning, the Psychology of Competition by Stuart H. Walker. This is about sailing but the mind set is what's important.
Sorry I can't be more positive about PoSM and A Mind for Pool but neither one did much for me.