Funny pic/gif thread...

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
68CE54D1-CAE0-4130-836A-B986171BD1E7.jpeg

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
As to this pic, and the one with the telephone pole through the car, I claim photoshop, although the pics are entertaining......

I see shit like this all the time. Unsecured loads flying off pickups, vans and trailers on the freeway is not uncommon, particularly with what passes as contractors these days.

My insurance agent warned me of this exact scenario when I suggested waiting until summer to replace my cracked windshield.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see shit like this all the time. Unsecured loads flying off pickups, vans and trailers on the freeway is not uncommon, particularly with what passes as contractors these days.

My insurance agent warned me of this exact scenario when I suggested waiting until summer to replace my cracked windshield.
Yes, flying wood, etc, all the time. But in the pic, the windshield is all wrong, its literally larger than it should be, and looks like it melted on top of the wood. The top edge of the "windshield" is also all wrong. No scratches on the hood as well. The rear corner of the plywood, would have to have sheared thru the metal a-pillar, etc.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like it got dropped on the post in the second pic or something... pretty wild

Look at the section of pole under the car. for whatever reason he, or somebody else, knocked a section out of the pole. Then the top fell through the windshield.

I used to run a wrecker service. Most of the time you could figure out what probably happened but now and then you got into weird stuff. A flat intersection, A normal sized pick-up with normal sized tires was sitting crossways on top of a full sized early eighties car. Usually severe damage, you drag them apart and roll. The weirdest thing, neither the car or the truck had more than very minor damage! Now what the hell do I do? A busy intersection, no time for a bunch of planning.

The pole reminds me of a guy losing control and running into an old metal works building. I circled that block until somebody flagged me down! The wooden supports were not buried on bottom and the car had hit one, knocked the whole wall in the air, and then the wall dropped back down behind it. The only obvious damage to the building was a loose piece of tin that a medium sized dog might have squeezed through!

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member

Not much fun to photoshop, I am betting it is real. The reflections of sky and cloud make the upper edge of the windshield look funky, a closer look and it is just fine. Also, I see the top of the passenger door pushed out by the plywood. Likely to happen real world, a nice touch in photoshop, most wouldn't think of it! I used to do outdoor photography. It was annoying that I would post some of my most fun or interesting pictures and I would always get comments, "great photoshop!"

(A long story about plywood, hopefully entertaining or skip on down the page)
Back around 1980 I was working four tens in the petro-chem plants, climbing iron to hang sheet metal. I would get off work on Thursday and go straight to my partner's where our eighteen wheeler was parked. 3500 mile round trip driving alone and maybe helping load some alfalfa if I couldn't avoid it, 520 bales. My tarps didn't quite reach the bed of the float and customers didn't like straw colored alfalfa even if it was purely surface. My partner had seen some used plywood cheap and scored it to bridge the gap.

He and his nephew had loaded the plywood on the truck and had it bound down. They had loaded it on the very back of the forty foot float and had put it crossways, loaded as wrong as possible! I whined a little but I had had a rough day and was setting out dog tired without messing with plywood, fugget! I tightened the strap holding the plywood down a little more and rolled. The interstate was maybe three miles away and an oil line started leaking before I made the sled. Gonna be one of those trips! Easiest to make a full loop, drive about five miles of sled and then back up the old highway the yard was on. Gonna add a couple hours more to the trip fixing the tractor. Not being a happy camper I let the diesel bellow as I slammed up through the gears until I hit seventy or a couple over.

I felt a little hitch and looked into my driver's side mirror to see a wild sight. Those forty sheets of CDX plywood escaped at seventy miles an hour. The sheets flew in all directions including a pretty complete half circle. The ones going up went well above a hundred feet. I wouldn't bet one-fifty, I wouldn't bet against it! I'm scanning frantically in my rearview now wondering how many wrecks I am going to cause and fearing just what this picture shows.

By the grace of the God that looks after fools and drunks there wasn't anyone behind me for maybe a quarter mile. Grace can just go so far though and the first vehicle back there belonged to a state trooper, a very very pissed off state trooper, that plywood was quite a sight in a mirror, probably a lot more impressive looking through a windshield!

We had went another half mile or so before he got me pulled over. He wanted me to pick up and clean up all of the plywood. I explained reasonably that I couldn't back the eighteen wheeler a half mile down the sled, I would get off at the next exit and loop back. I got off at the next exit and fixed the oil line as planned then back to the interstate. There were shattered layers of plywood everywhere, lots of debris. There weren't many of those forty sheets that survived and scavengers had taken care of anything worth picking up. I didn't see any big pieces so I didn't know if any sheets survived either.

West bound and three hours down. Fourteen hours before I can park this puppy and I'll be going straight to the farm since I am running late. I got up at 4AM Thursday and after a lot of hard work I would see a bed sometime Saturday night if I was lucky. My partner was amazed that I could sleep for eighteen to twenty-four hours without twitching!

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think he sheared it off and it snapped a few feet up. The bottom piece fell down and the top piece dropped into the car. Maybe the wires slowed the fall and kept it upright.
I’m calling photoshop....look at how clean the hole in the windshield is

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a Z-28 that was wrecked by a teenager here in Chattanooga in 1978

View attachment 593036

View attachment 593037

Musta been a wild ride for the 0.2 seconds it lasted! Odds of anyone surviving that look like zero but I have seen a lot of crazy things, we can only hope. I think what looks like a pole probably was a tree when this happened. I have seen smaller trees cut a car half in two. How in the hell did the car get rolled up like it went through an old fashioned can opener? They probably couldn't figure that out when the wreck was fresh.

Those Uniroyal 70 series Tiger Paws were all the rage for awhile, great commercials too!

Hu

(edit)
I see I missed all around! It was a pole and the car wasn't rolled up as much as it appeared on the roof. Unfortunately the one thing I was right about was DOA, probably within seconds which would have been the only good thing.

Two kids, a sixteen and a fifteen year old in a Z28 much like that one tried to take a curve too fast, got sideways, drifted into the other lane and got T-boned by a 3/4 ton Ford that a man I knew and a friend of mine were in. Same thing with the two kids the same ages as these, the impact was on the passenger door and wrapped the entire Camaro around the truck. Luckily for my friend and the man she was with, Camaro's are soft. The man driving was almost unhurt and my friend lived but suffered a pretty badly mangled foot that left her crippled for life but able to walk. A lot of pain, three weeks in the hospital, and she had to remember the wreck killing two boys that were little more than children dying in the wreck she lived through for the rest of her life. She knew guilt was senseless but emotion and reason are two different things. The picture posted is one I wish I hadn't followed up on, bad memories brought to life.

Last edited: