Funny pic/gif thread...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Widow by the looks of that red hourglass.
View attachment 672626
I’ve smushed loads of these my whole life. Where I grew up we had them, they live in Vegas as well. I’ve never been bitten by one-few close calls picking up pallets, but never stung.

I’ve smushed more than I can count with my palm, first few were kinda scary. Then after I figured out that works every time it’s not a big deal.

I know a few people who have been big/stung by them and depending on the level of their allergic response their wounds varied. Nobody I know ever lost their life-however I do believe in a small % of people they can be lethal. It’s painful. I remember one person with their arm in a sling for a month or 2 from a bite.

Their webs are very very tight and if you strum the web you can hear it-where most other spiderwebs are very delicate(except bird spiders and spiders that live in trees) black windows live under things in dark areas so having thick webs is a unusual trait they have. There’s no web “pattern” like the tree spiders. But their webs are noticeable and when we used to lift anything up and see webs we’d touch the web to see if they were present or other spiders (with delicate webs)

Interesting topic

Fatboy<——-not snake bit or spider bit(so far) ok I’ve been bit by snakes. But I’m not “snake bit” different topic. 💪😃

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
F6A3BDCE-49EF-4A13-B102-DB585984D251.jpeg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black widows also have a distinctive web. It is the tightest strongest web I have experienced.
I just read this after my long post. Yes you are correct.

The only web I felt that was stronger was in Africa with 12’ webs from spiders looking to catch prey. They were much larger spiders.

Pretty cool topic. I’m into this sort of stuff, always have been. It’s amazing what happens in nature and how it all works.

Best
Fatboy😃

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve smushed loads of these my whole life. Where I grew up we had them, they live in Vegas as well. I’ve never been bitten by one-few close calls picking up pallets, but never stung.

I’ve smushed more than I can count with my palm, first few were kinda scary. Then after I figured out that works every time it’s not a big deal.

I know a few people who have been big/stung by them and depending on the level of their allergic response their wounds varied. Nobody I know ever lost their life-however I do believe in a small % of people they can be lethal. It’s painful. I remember one person with their arm in a sling for a month or 2 from a bite.

Their webs are very very tight and if you strum the web you can hear it-where most other spiderwebs are very delicate(except bird spiders and spiders that live in trees) black windows live under things in dark areas so having thick webs is a unusual trait they have. There’s no web “pattern” like the tree spiders. But their webs are noticeable and when we used to lift anything up and see webs we’d touch the web to see if they were present or other spiders (with delicate webs)

Interesting topic

Fatboy<——-not snake bit or spider bit(so far) ok I’ve been bit by snakes. But I’m not “snake bit” different topic. 💪😃
Back when I was a biology teacher, I had my students build terrariums in empty 3 liter bottles. Kids brought in all kinds of stuff. Been bit by a big ol' black widow. No allergic reaction, but the pain was intense. OTC meds didn't touch it, Norco didn't touch it. Finally had to go to the ER for a morphine shot just to get some sleep. Believe it or not, got hit by a 6" centipede that was as bad, if not worse.

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Back when I was a biology teacher, I had my students build terrariums in empty 3 liter bottles. Kids brought in all kinds of stuff. Been bit by a big ol' black widow. No allergic reaction, but the pain was intense. OTC meds didn't touch it, Norco didn't touch it. Finally had to go to the ER for a morphine shot just to get some sleep. Believe it or not, got hit by a 6" centipede that was as bad, if not worse.
I was breaking camp after a week of archery deer hunting in the Cascades. In the process I dropped a piece of firewood across the top of my foot and ankle. No big deal, I finished breaking camp and drove home, three hours. On the way my ankle began to throb, no big deal.

The next morning I was up before dawn and on an airplane headed to SLC for a seminar. On the flight my ankle started to throb again, no big deal. Within 30 minutes it began to swell. I removed my boot which made it feel much better. It was a fairly short flight but by the time we touched down my ankle was so swollen I couldn't get my boot back on. Big deal and getting bigger. Missed half a day of the seminar as I was visiting the doctor.

When I pulled my sock off my ankle was very swollen and right on top where the ankle joins the foot was a three inch raised red circle with two punctures in the center a little over a 1/4 inch apart. The doctor asked where I had been and I told him about the hunting trip. Best we could figure, one of a number of spider species was chillin in the woodpile until I disturbed it. Then it took shelter up my pant leg into my boot. When I dropped the firewood on my foot it scared the spider and he bit me. Thr bite pain was covered by the pain of the dropped wood. Never saw the spider, he likely exited my boot right after biting me.

I spent the rest of the seminar on crutches and couldn't get a boot on for several days.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting topic

I’m originally from Ohio and the black widow’s reputation made it seem pretty scary. After moving to the San Joaquin Valley they seemed pretty alarming the first couple of times. But as you said, you get accustomed to being around them. They are pretty timid which is why the biggest danger is bumping into one that is hiding. I bought a house while living there and was crawling around in the crawl space below the main floor. I noticed that the rat traps had black widows by each of them. I thought about spraying to kill them but then got thinking it might be the dumbest thing I ever did. There were no bugs in the rest of the crawl space and it seemed they might actually be my friend. True symbiosis. They never bothered me in the house and I left them be in the crawl space. They are kinda cool looking; very shiny black.
1AC94BEF-7FB0-4D58-8E37-38848D21F6C0.jpeg

Brown Recluse?
I’ve never seen one, but know a guy who was bit by one. That is a scary spider. He was hospitalized for quite a long time.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you. Centipedes are supposed to be nasty.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m originally from Ohio and the black widow’s reputation made it seem pretty scary. After moving to the San Joaquin Valley they seemed pretty alarming the first couple of times. But as you said, you get accustomed to being around them. They are pretty timid which is why the biggest danger is bumping into one that is hiding. I bought a house while living there and was crawling around in the crawl space below the main floor. I noticed that the rat traps had black widows by each of them. I thought about spraying to kill them but then got thinking it might be the dumbest thing I ever did. There were no bugs in the rest of the crawl space and it seemed they might actually be my friend. True symbiosis. They never bothered me in the house and I left them be in the crawl space. They are kinda cool looking; very shiny black.
View attachment 673149

I’ve never seen one, but know a guy who was bit by one. That is a scary spider. He was hospitalized for quite a long time.
San Joaquin Valley is where I grew up from 3rd grade.