Future of American Pro Pool: Young Guns

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
True, well partially. Austin did lay his cue down and started playing tennis and was competing and defeating players from his and upper age brackets in the amature ranks in California.

Then he discovered Girls or they discovered him.

He's grown to 6' plus. Still 17 or just turning 18.

He's been playing pool in tournaments when he needs gas money... LOL.

He is also doing well in school, and will probably continue his education.

I don't think Austin Murphy is shooting much pool these days. He has not been at BEF Jr Nationals for the past 3 years. Heard he laid down his pool stick to focus on his Tennis game. ( If this is not true, I might have at least started a good rumor to help him get a good money game going).

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still need to add Josh Brothers to the list!

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I did. Thanks for the gentle reminder. :smile:

Updated list:

Deo Alpajora
Adam Behnke
Jesse Bowman
Josh Brothers
Chris Byrne
Justin Bergman
Chip Compton
Brendon Crockett
Mike Dechaine
Mike Delawder
Oscar Dominguez
Mitch Ellerman
Jess Engel
Chris Furtrell
Joey Gray
Justin Hall
Chuckie Holyoke
Jason Klatt
Matt Krah
Lane Jensen
Raymond Linares
Shane McMinn
Anthony Meglino
Eric Moore
Johnny Morra
Shannon Murphy
Josh Newman
Sylver Ochoa
Adam Pendley
Marcus Pendley
Beau Runnigen
Danny Satinoff
Brandon Shuff
Landon Shuffett
Jeremy Sossei
Tommy Tokoph
Shane Van Boening
Shaun Wilkie

JMuck

Silver Member
Thx,
What a rivalry, could be like the Williams sisters.

Be great to see another SD 8 Ball Express Van rollin' down the highway again. Which family member taught Shane, do you know, and did Dick Spitzer help out in any way?

Dick set the standard for pool in western South Dakota and the whole state.Shane benefited from this high standard and its effects on a core group of people who lived the game for a long time.Shane's constant exposure to the game via his grandfather,grandmother,his mom and her sister and various pool hall rats were his biggest influences.Shane had to fight for position in the pecking order like everyone else except he was always the little kid in the room.

Shane's biggest strength---he is a HUMAN SPOUNGE.He picks things up visually faster than anyone I have ever known.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick set the standard for pool in western South Dakota and the whole state.Shane benefited from this high standard and its effects on a core group of people who lived the game for a long time.Shane's constant exposure to the game via his grandfather,grandmother,his mom and her sister and various pool hall rats were his biggest influences.Shane had to fight for position in the pecking order like everyone else except he was always the little kid in the room.

Shane's biggest strength---he is a HUMAN SPOUNGE.He picks things up visually faster than anyone I have ever known.

That is truly a good trait to have in any endeavor. Pool takes a lot of concentration to execute shots proficiently.

Another trait I have noticed that most champions have in common is they're smart. I mean "high IQ" smart, not book smart. They seem to be able to digest things faster.

Jimmy Reid once told me that he had the highest SAT score in the country one year when he was in high school.

Also, some pool players seem to do well in other sports, such as tennis, golf, bowling, and baseball. I guess they pick up the techniques and strategies faster than most.

No matter how smart anyone is, there's one thing for sure, and that's in pool, you must hit balls over and over again. It is like learning how to play a musical instrument, and to play sweet music, one must practice, practice, practice. There are no shortcuts to success. ;)

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I did. Thanks for the gentle reminder. :smile:

Updated list:

Deo Alpajora
Adam Behnke
Jesse Bowman
Josh Brothers
Chris Byrne
Justin Bergman
Chip Compton
Brendon Crockett
Mike Dechaine
Mike Delawder
Oscar Dominguez
Mitch Ellerman
Jess Engel
Chris Furtrell
Joey Gray
Justin Hall
Chuckie Holyoke
Jason Klatt
Matt Krah
Lane Jensen
Raymond Linares
Shane McMinn
Anthony Meglino
Eric Moore
Johnny Morra
Shannon Murphy
Josh Newman
Sylver Ochoa
Adam Pendley
Marcus Pendley
Beau Runnigen
Danny Satinoff
Brandon Shuff
Landon Shuffett
Jeremy Sossei
Tommy Tokoph
Shane Van Boening
Shaun Wilkie

I guess I can forgive you just this one time:grin:

SplicedPoints

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like a lot of players on the list are known regionally within the US, but don't seem to get out much. Plus not many of them have participated in tournaments that have footage posted on Youtube. So it's hard to judge how good they really are.

As a bench mark, how do they compare to the Ko brothers from Taiwan?
You've probably seen Ko Pin Yi's videos and probably know how well he plays. He just won a major tournament in Indonesia in 2011. He's 22.

Video of him winning the title, beating SVB. I think they play at about the same speed. SVB's break wasn't working and that was mainly the difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcqch0weQK4&feature=related

His younger brother, Pin Chung, came second in All-Japan Open and second in Malaysian Open, both in 2010. He just won a stop in the Taiwan Men's Pro Tour last month, becoming the youngest ever to win a stop, at 15 and 10/12 yrs old. Wu Chia Ching wasn't able to win a stop on the TW tour after he's won 2 world championship titles and after he turned 18.

He's a video of him kicking his brother's ass 11-1 in the semi-finals. Pin-Yi just came off his win in Indonesia, but couldn't do much in the match. KPC appears to be a great shot maker, making some difficult hard shots look quite routine. His break seems to be quite good too, with a good balance of power and control.

1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tz9eyqF-eA&feature=related
2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znT7D0iV8A&feature=related
3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603Jim9u1_4&feature=related
4.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7XfHCf58uo&feature=related

Apparently there's a 3rd kid in the family. But it may take a couple more years before we see him in action. He's only 13.

Last edited:

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chuck Ralston

From St. Louis / Poplar Bluff

Made it to the 8th round of banks at derby city, has won alot of tournys in the midwest etc... only about 25 yrs old I think

Krypto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jo-Jo

Nobody knows Joseph (JoJo) Cole, even after a second place finish in the APA U.S. Amateurs? He has won Viking Tour Stops in AtL and placed high in the BCA Nationals the only time he travelled to play in it. My money is on this kid.

I am not sure how old Paul Song is, but if he is under thirty, I like his game too.

Just sayin,...