G-Core or iShaft opinions...

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kerry...The first thing to emphasize is that the 'hit' or 'feel' of a shaft is extremely individual. I've probably played with Predators (314's and Z shafts) for 50-60 hrs total, and never cared for them (Predator seems to be something people love or hate...there's no middle ground! LOL). I've played 30+ hrs with OB shafts, and they just don't feel the best to me...although they are excellent quality shafts. I was never a fan of skinny shafts (in the 70's 14mm was the pro standard). Although G-Core shafts come in different diameters, Jerry Powers asked me to play with the smaller one, and give him my honest opinion...good, bad or indifferent. Knowing and respecting Jerry's cuemaking knowledge, I agreed to it, even though I told him "Jerry, I don't like little shafts!" LOL So, between the LD characteristics, and the small diameter (11 3/4mm) I managed to talk myself into 'hating' the way it felt and played. That said, I committed to give it 100 hour trial, and by the time I got there I was in love with it. I'm having Kent Davis make me a cue now, and he has his own version of LD shafts, which I'm going to have made, as they "feel" very similar to my G-Core.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,

I appreciate the feedback. When the Predator shaft first came out, I liked the concept, but every time I tried to hit with one, it felt dead and hollow to me. My solid maple shafts simply "hit" better. I must have tried it like 5 times, each time hoping it would feel good, and it never did. Finally one time at the Super Billiards Expo I was able to put a 314 onto the butt of my own cue, and for some reason it felt good. The rest is history. However, I will still say that I like the feel of the *hit* of a good old maple shaft much better. I've tried some custom cuemakers LD shafts that felt nice...Mike Lambros made a nice one, and just recently I tried one from Mike Webb that felt GREAT. However, the LD characteristics were not really as significant as with my 314-2. I will say that having a custom cue maker take a Predator partial shaft and install their own joint makes a pretty huge difference in the overall feel and hit. On my Gilbert cue, I have 2 314-2 shafts: one he put the joint in and one is off the shelf. I must say his hits better, and actually is not a mile away from the hit of the regular maple shaft I got from him with my cue.

Anyway, like you say it is so subjective for each individual. Someone posted a thread about their new OB Classic Pro shaft, and I must say I am itching to give a good long try with the OB Classic because of it. I also dislike the really skinny shafts. My friend Katie has the Z2 shaft on a nice Webb cue, and while it plays great, I just can't seem to get any feel for the ball with the shaft that small.

As always thanks again for sharing.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the radial laminated construction decreased the deflection!

Nope. That is not the purpose of the radial lamination. The proposed reason for the radial lamination is so that the shaft will flex the same amount in any direction, so that the shaft plays consistent no matter how you spin it. With a traditional maple shaft, you get a grain pattern that has an orientation in one direction. This means that the shaft will flex a certain amount one way, but a different amount if you rotate it 90 degrees. I should point out that another "benefit" of the radial lamination (or any lamination for that matter) is that they can use considerably lower quality wood and still achieve acceptable results.

The thing that causes the reduced deflection (cue ball squirt) in a Predator shaft is a reduction in the mass of the last 5 inches or so of the shaft. This is achieved by hollowing out the center of the shaft, using shorter ferrules, and using ferrule materials that are light weight. This is the idea behind the OB cues laminated wood ferrule--less weight.

Hope this clarifies the situation,

KMRUNOUT

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you find that the G-Core applies more english to the cue than a regular shaft like some say the predator and ob cues do?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you find that the G-Core applies more english to the cue than a regular shaft like some say the predator and ob cues do?

Yes, i believe it would have this effect *exactly* the same as the Predator and Ob shafts. And by this I mean that I don't think ANY of these shafts apply "more" english to the cueball. I think that is a myth. I don't think it matters what shaft you use--if you hit the cueball at the same distance from center and the same speed, you get the same spin. I think the reason this belief may have come about is because the reduced cue ball squirt characteristics of "low deflection" shafts like Predator and OB give players the confidence to hit further away from center. Hit that same spot with a traditional shaft and you get the same spin.

Can anyone confirm this? Maybe Dr. Dave or Bob Jewett?

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the radial laminated construction decreased the deflection!

no, radial lamination has nothing to do with deflection. laminations are used to make the shaft radially consistent, so that it has a more consistent flex however the shaft is oriented. it may also help reduce warping. to reduce deflection you must reduce the weight of the very tip end of the cue. there are lots of ways to do this, but laminating the shaft doesn't do anything to reduce the tip end weight.

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I’m new to the forum and new to pool. Been playing for less than a year and I’m hooked. I stared with an off the shelf Viking and found that once I started applying English I started missing. Did all the reading and now understand about squirt. I was reading up on the G-Core and nowhere does it say it improves squirt but says it improves accuracy but it says trough a stiffer shaft. Doesn’t that contradict what most people are looking for and can I expect to lessen squirt if I order one?

Thanks,
Phil

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I have a G-Core, and am quite satisfied with it.

I'm afraid I'm not much help regarding comparisons, as I haven't tried the other LD shafts that are available.

I do like the G-Core, tho. A good solid hit.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
"iAnything" seems to sell good these days, as long as the "i" is lower case and the next letter is upper case. I have havent figured out what the "i" really means with all of Apples products, I wonder if Apple did a trade mark on that idea, if so the iShaft people might get a shaft where the wont like it, LOL

:

If your assertion regarding "iP" or "iS" is true then McDermott would have already been sued by McDonalds

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got both an i2 and G-core for my McDermott Mike Massey cue. Of the two, I'm more accurate with the i2 over the G-core. The G-core seems a bit lighter to me than the i2 and feels more like a traditional shaft.