Gamblers play worse in Tournaments?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Do you feel a lot of players that gamble a lot on pool seem to play under their speed in tournaments? If so...why do you think that is? I'm not trying to say I was a big time money player..because I wasn't, but I always played for money...but hardly ever over $50 a set or a game of 14.1. I know I never did well in tournaments. Johnnyt
 
Some people need the whole "this is for $$$" thing hanging over their heads to really get their head in the game.

I know a few guys who love to play for money, but often don't play as well as they can in tournaments, because there's simply not as much on the line for'em.
 
always hard to say

Johnnyt said:
Do you feel a lot of players that gamble a lot on pool seem to play under their speed in tournaments? If so...why do you think that is? I'm not trying to say I was a big time money player..because I wasn't, but I always played for money...but hardly ever over $50 a set or a game of 14.1. I know I never did well in tournaments. Johnnyt


Some people choke in tournaments even though they are used to gambling. Gambling is an every day thing for them but they have less control in a tournament and therefore more pressure on them. The often long wait between matches can be a killer for some too. Last but not least, gamblers are often less than comfortable with the spotlight on them leading to poor performance, real or artificial.

Hu
 
It's also a different type of pressure. You can keep playing for money as long as your bankroll holds. In a tournament setting, your done when you lose.
 
Johnnyt said:
Do you feel a lot of players that gamble a lot on pool seem to play under their speed in tournaments? If so...why do you think that is? I'm not trying to say I was a big time money player..because I wasn't, but I always played for money...but hardly ever over $50 a set or a game of 14.1. I know I never did well in tournaments. Johnnyt

I have played 50 years. Not sure the answer is the same for all players. For some I think its a comfort level, for others its the attention, for others its the amount of the $$, ----- and these reasons can work either way for gambling or tournament play. For others its the instant payday after each game if its gambling. For some really good pros, I think they can do either well.
 
Gambler...
you pick your opponent, wager, time, game, rules, spot if any and table or in other words.. you play at just about your comfort level or just at the point that makes you bare down.



Gambler in Tournament...
you pay an entry fee....
and then the TD tells you:
your opponent, time, game and format, rules (and enforces them) and if any the TD tells you the spot and then what table to play on, and in some cases... what time you have to be ready to play.

If you gamble a lot, playing in a tournament can be giving up a lot of control of your game and what you want to accomplish.

Why play your speed when there might be someone in the tourament that you can 'control'... and match up later?
 
In gambling if you have enough barrels you can withstand a shaky start and eventually play your game. In tournament play everytime you make a mistake and your opponent capitalizes on it with a win there is nothing you can do to erase that win and it gets him closer to home.
 
I think the above are good reasons why a lot of gamblers play under their speed in tournaments. For me I think it was the point that a slow start meant two and out in most cases. Johnnyt
 
In my opinion tournament play is much tougher than matching up. For all of the reasons stated above.

For example: Shane was playing Robbie Saez in the final 8 on the losers side at the UPA tournament. They go hill-hill and Saez breaks and snaps the 9. That one shot determined the whole event. Shane is out, Rob moves on.

Now if they are gambling, just reload and fire again, no sweat. Tournaments are a different animal, but I think it is telling that most tournament champions have a lot of time in the box playing for the dough. Gambling will definitly expose any flaws in your game.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sjm
I have watched the two best gamblers around my area for years and Stevie Moore can play great either way, on the other hand Tony Watson has allways been better at gambling. In the last year or so it seems that Tony is also playing better in tournaments, and sometimes it becomes important to put some cash in the pocket no matter how you do it.--Leonard
 
I think it's the issue of phasing yourself. In tournament, you have break in between matches. Your adrenaline will fluctate or even run-out quicker.
 
Back
Top