Gambling with someone who doesn't take advice...what would you do?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
"Friendly" Scotch Doubles

Every Saturday we play a "friendly" game of scotch doubles. Oh, we do play a race to 4 for $20. But we flip coins to determine who are partners. But...I also created a rule that after the losers pay off, they have the OPTION to re-flip for new partners. Sometimes you get the same partner of course. But at least it doesn't force one player to always get stuck playing with the worst player of the bunch. Doing it this way, rarely does anyone get stuck more than around $40-60. Quite a few times both sides are fairly even and the losing team stays partners and they give it another go.

I do agree about not coaching your partner too much. I've found that weaker players especially do much better if you let them shoot the shots and leaves that they are comfortable with, or you might tell them to shoot a certain english on the cue ball that they would never do on their own, causing them to miss horribly. LOL There are also very decent players that have big egos. They simply NEVER want to take advice from anyone else!

One guy left in a fit recently, because he won and refused to even flip for the break in the next set, and we were going to keep the same partners. When he wouldn't flip for the break, I said, okay then I want to flip for new partners. That's when he realized that he was being a jerk. We don't play to win at all costs. Most of us are friends and like to play for a little something to make it interesting. We don't allow a "dream team" of the best two players to dominate the game all night long. :thumbup2:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I can say in a scotch game, is 'MADE MINE', which is the outcome of

a poorly executed shot that does my partner no good. But 'eh' they knew how I played

before we were partners, shouldn't of expected more from me. I like it when playing with

someone, and start seeing 'how' they play certain situations. You can learn a lot from

playing with someone as your partner.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our little in House barroom League has a scotch tent at the end of summer session. A strong player gets a random draw lesser player. I was fortunate to get a fair weaker player and we were sailing along. We had some bad tables and I played strong safes and got him ball in hand when we needed it. 1 timeout per game (coaching) which I would call for the ball in hand situation if we needed it. We are in the 1st game for the championship and I am at the table about to shoot when my partner calls timeout. I was flabbergasted. He told me if I pocketed the 3 he could bank the 1 because he is a great banker! I explained the table layout,where every ball went and in which order,and told him dont ever water our timeout again. He replied I didn't think you knew what to do.;)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
yep!

That’s the thing.

When someone asks for advice, the honest response is usually “You should’ve asked for advice two shots ago when things looked easy but you didn’t plan ahead and took the wrong shot. But here we are now and things look bleak.”

Alternatively, giving advice earlier means talking about how to address problem balls and stay in shape. That kind of advice applies to every shot. And can be tedious to give or receive outside of a formal lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the best posts in the thread! By the time many players realize they are in trouble they have often eliminated the way out of that trouble.

Another issue is when trying to give technical advice. "Tips of english." Well, first problem is some call half a tip of english the first tip, some call a full tip of english the first tip. Then, front hand, back hand, and parallel shift english all give different results. Speed is equally ambiguous. Soft, medium, hard? How about MPH? Doesn't matter, two people are rarely on the same page.

If the other person asks I will suggest the ball, maybe the pocket if it is in question, and the general area I would like the cue ball. Let them work out for themselves how to make it happen. If it doesn't happen my response is always the same, "no big deal." "You stupid moron you just cost us both fifty bucks!" isn't going to help now and is almost certain to result in more of the same later. People often feel more pressure playing partners then when that partner adds to that pressure, things really go south. Gotta keep your partner relaxed.

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tell my partner...Youre too heavy, man.

Then I unscrew and pay up.

One of the best posts in the thread! By the time many players realize they are in trouble they have often eliminated the way out of that trouble.

Another issue is when trying to give technical advice. "Tips of english." Well, first problem is some call half a tip of english the first tip, some call a full tip of english the first tip. Then, front hand, back hand, and parallel shift english all give different results. Speed is equally ambiguous. Soft, medium, hard? How about MPH? Doesn't matter, two people are rarely on the same page.

If the other person asks I will suggest the ball, maybe the pocket if it is in question, and the general area I would like the cue ball. Let them work out for themselves how to make it happen. If it doesn't happen my response is always the same, "no big deal." "You stupid moron you just cost us both fifty bucks!" isn't going to help now and is almost certain to result in more of the same later. People often feel more pressure playing partners then when that partner adds to that pressure, things really go south. Gotta keep your partner relaxed.

Hu

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so much gambling but I played in a partners 8 ball tourney for years that I won a lot of money in. One stretch I won it 6 weeks in a row by playing very basic 8 ball strategies with a little bit of luck, this wasn't scotch so I pretty much had to manage my partners shot selection until I knew 95% I could run out. One partner in particular that I didn't ever recall him winning this tourney was my partner one week and he was very forceful in trying to manage our strategies which clearly told me that he thought he was the better player.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he solicited your advice and then did the opposite? That seems hard to believe.

Unless he thought you were George Costanza. :wink:

LMAO.

If either of us got in trouble or they played safe, we'd chat about it. I can't say how many times he didn't do what we discussed, but it was enough.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, had to be late '80's, I was hanging with a local player when these 2 ladies came in and wanted some action (first time I ever saw female road players) and me and my buddy said sure. We weren't big gamblers and I think we ended up playing $5 a game scotch doubles 9B.

My buddy, who was generally a good shot, was clearly not doing well with the pressure and every time I said "do this so I can do that" he would do something completely different and miss or hook me, etc. Either way, it was obvious his errors were making us lose. This went on for about 1 to 1.5 hours and at the end we were down about $60. When we called it we paid the women and I looked at him with my hand out and said "You're paying my share for not listening and doing your own thing which costs us" (or something similar). He balked at it but then both the ladies agreed with me and he ultimately paid me.

Ever have a partner totally screw up the set, if so, what did you do about it? Clearly, I never played with this guy as a partner again.

Is it possible the women were better players than you and your buddy?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad habit to get into - that's why not.

The bad habit was choosing the wrong partner, hasn't happened since :thumbup:

And it wasn't Robin Bell Dodson. I sent her a message on FB but she didn't remember playing a match like that.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense but this sounds like a redundant question or something. Do what you did never play with him as a partner again. Lesson learned. I probably myself wouldn't have criticezed my friend/partner like that or made him pay or told him how to play. You made the choice to have him as a partner that was where the mistake was made.

Last edited: