GC I or GC III?

curious

Registered
I have found GC I and GC III for sale. GC III from private party and GC I from a dealer. Both look like they are in good condition. However, dealer pricing for GC I is higher by about 500. Is GC I worth that much or more over GC III? Appreciate your advice.

What is a reasonable price for a decent GC I and III's these days?

Thanks

curious

Registered
I'd go with the GC I. It's worth the extra money.

Thank you! Quote is 2750 with new Simonis cloth, delivery and installation for GC I. Reading through the forums, that price looks steep?

GC III, I may be able get to 2K or below installed.

And a GC IV close to 4K! Bit of a stretch.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! Quote is 2750 with new Simonis cloth, delivery and installation for GC I. Reading through the forums, that price looks steep?

Important variables are history of the table, present condition, and who is doing the installation.

In my opinion, the prices you were quoted are low for a good table installed by an experienced mechanic, but as I noted, there are a of variables involved.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I paid $600 for my Gold Crown III. Of course, I had to get new Simonis put on it. This was about 5-7 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 317

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You. Is the price 2750 worth for a GC I?

gc 1 is worth about 1k unless its pristine
set up with cloth should be 500 maybe alittle more
another 250 or so for new rails
add alittle more for pick up and delivery
i think thats realistic
you may want to post in the ask a mechanic forum and there perspective
good luck whichever you buy

for the record i have a gc1

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd go with the GC I as well. It is worth the extra money if it's been maintained properly.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I've seen Gold Crown 1s, 2s and 3s in a 5 hour or so radius list for anything between $1000 and $5000. No clue what they sold for though.

The last Gold Crown 2 I missed was $2000+/- and had extended rails and was 3+ hours away.

I ended up driving to Conyers, GA and picking up a GC4 for $2200 with a light, plus U-Haul 6x12 trailer rental and gas. Close to $2500 all in.

So that's there for reference.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The GC4 is a great table, I’d take it over the others. I’d say an average price is around 2k. I paid $2500 for one ten years ago.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 10 years ago i purchased a GC I from a home. Put another $4,000 or so into it. It will be with me until I die, so for me worth the investment. I am not worried about recouping my money from it. Value and final decision also depends on your disposable income. If you can afford it, that makes all the difference...

picture.php

TrevorB

Registered
I just bought my GC 1 a couple weeks ago. I feel I got a good deal @ $1000. I bought it out of state, so paid a mechanic to dismantle, then had it installed in my home yesterday with Simonis 860HR. Total invested with the work is about $2k. Money well spent.

Prob can’t go wrong with either table, so far, I love my GC.

42bda2e380815181ec44e621595249b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curious

Registered

Attachments

• GC I - 1.jpg
    GC I - 1.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 289
  • GC I - 2.jpg
    GC I - 2.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 292
  • GC III - 1.jpg
    GC III - 1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 309
  • GC III - 2.jpg
    GC III - 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 293
  • GC IV - 2.jpg
    GC IV - 2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 301

curious

Registered
Thank you all for the great pics and advice!

Without all the wonderful people on this forum, this is what I would have bought :D
https://www.costco.com/brunswick-santini-espresso-2-piece-billiard-collection.product.100687878.html

These are the pics of the ones that I am referring to, but to my untrained eye, all look the same:D, only difference is price haha :)

GC I, GC III and GC IV

First 2 images are I, next 2 images are III and last IV and another IV below. Even If I go look at them, other than the how they look and wear, I would not be able to tell a difference. To trained eyes, can anything be deduced from the pics. Both the sellers say they are in very good condition!

Attachments

• GC IV - 1.jpg
    GC IV - 1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They can all be made to play 100%.

The problem you will run into with the 1, is when/if the cushions need replacement, the cushions available today don't fit on the wood rails properly. To do it 100% right, you have to have a mechanic shave some wood off of the rails to make the modern cushions fit right. That's a pretty big job, that only a handful of guys in the country offer as a service.

The 3 also may have the same issue. Somewhere in the middle of the production years of the 3 is when that old style cushion went away, and the wooden rails were changed.

The 4 100% you won't have this issue. It accepts the new cushions with no problem whatsoever.

The 4 also has two other main differences with the 1 and 3. The plastic pockets are flush with the metal pocket castings. On the 1, 2, and 3, the plastic sticks up about 1/4". The flat design makes bridging better when the CB is near the pocket.

The second main difference is the score counters on the end rail. They were deleted on the 4. If you used them a lot, this may be a disadvantage. If you never used them, an advantage. They were also known to scratch a cue or two.

Does the light come with the 4?

I have a 4 at home, and I love it. But I'd be happy on any GC, as long as the cloth and the cushions were in good shape.

Disclaimer, I'm not a table mechanic, just a pool nutjob:)

curious

Registered
They can all be made to play 100%.

The problem you will run into with the 1, is when/if the cushions need replacement, the cushions available today don't fit on the wood rails properly. To do it 100% right, you have to have a mechanic shave some wood off of the rails to make the modern cushions fit right. That's a pretty big job, that only a handful of guys in the country offer as a service.

The 3 also may have the same issue. Somewhere in the middle of the production years of the 3 is when that old style cushion went away, and the wooden rails were changed.

The 4 100% you won't have this issue. It accepts the new cushions with no problem whatsoever.

The 4 also has two other main differences with the 1 and 3. The plastic pockets are flush with the metal pocket castings. On the 1, 2, and 3, the plastic sticks up about 1/4". The flat design makes bridging better when the CB is near the pocket.

The second main difference is the score counters on the end rail. They were deleted on the 4. If you used them a lot, this may be a disadvantage. If you never used them, an advantage. They were also known to scratch a cue or two.

Does the light come with the 4?

I have a 4 at home, and I love it. But I'd be happy on any GC, as long as the cloth and the cushions were in good shape.

Disclaimer, I'm not a table mechanic, just a pool nutjob:)

Thank you. If I can get a IV under 3000, will definitely consider.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't want the underside of the rails to look like this:

table1.jpeg

That is the result of the cloth being replaced over and over due to heavy play when the table was in a commercial environment. I don't know if you can discover that condition unless you take the cloth off the rails.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I have found GC I and GC III for sale. GC III from private party and GC I from a dealer. Both look like they are in good condition. However, dealer pricing for GC I is higher by about 500. Is GC I worth that much or more over GC III? Appreciate your advice.

What is a reasonable price for a decent GC I and III's these days?

Thanks

There's a lot of pride here on how cheap you can buy a GC1 but mine was priced similar to your option. Refinished, new Simonis, delivered and set-up. From the same country billiards store family that did my Medalist about 20 years ago. Matter of convenience for me...they did everything, I wrote the check.

As most have said, it's difficult to do better than a GC1. And frankly, many here pay that much if not more for their cue. :lol: So the price on the GC1 seems awfully damned reasonable for a lifetime, quality table that's iconic.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 4 and it was about 2k to get it up and running in my home.

It would be a mistake to fail to acknowledge prices are elevated now, due to the current social pause.