George Fels -- heart attack

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this latest news. I wish Mr Fels the best and for a speedy recovery.

Mr. Bentivegna, when you see Mr. Fels, please let him know about all the people here rooting for him.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to Angel Levine on Facebook, George Fels just passed away. :(

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
this is a terrible way to close out the year. :(

Sincere and heartfelt condolences to Mr. Fels family and friends.

RIP, George.

You were a true star in our sport.

best,
brian kc

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Mr. Fels will be mised

My condolences to the immediate family. I am so sorry for your loss

The billiards family has lost a patriarch to say the very least. Not too many players that ever picked up Billiards Digest in the last 30+ years didn't take the time to read any article written by Mr. Fels.

He will be missed. :frown:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
RIP George

I am sad to hear that George Fels is gone. I communicated with him just a few weeks ago about coming down to Red Shoes to meet up with Sailor Stellman. He was not able to come down because he had another commitment. The last time I saw him was the middle of August when they had a birthday party for me at Red Shoes. I was surprised and honored that George had driven down from the North side.

I was fortunate enough to have met him in my straight pool league at Red Shoes Billiards many years ago. I remember when I first joined the league and was looking around and I thought, "Is that George Fels over there?"

Eventually, I got to play with him and watch how he took the balls off the table. I remember describing one of my early matches with him as being like I was trapped inside a chapter in one of his books as he methodically took apart rack after rack.

I was able to see him in his natural habitat, chatting with his old pals Fred Bentivegna, Danny DiLiberto, and Frank "Sailor" Stellman. I was able to discuss with him straight pool players of our day like John Schmidt, Thorsten Hohmann, Mika Immonen.

One year we had a qualifier for the 14.1 World Tournament at Red Shoes and we had Steve and Curley from MIBilliards streaming it and I asked George if he could help us with commentary. He was a trouper and stayed until the last match was over, never leaving the stream. I know it was well after midnight, but George loved his straight pool.

His column was always a good read. I often told people that not only is he a great pool writer, but that he is a great writer, as well. Even if he had not been writing about pool, the way he put things together was very good.

Rest in Peace, George and know that parts of you will live on, in all the players that have learned from you.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
unhappy...

I am sad to hear that George Fels is gone. I communicated with him just a few weeks ago about coming down to Red Shoes to meet up with Sailor Stellman. He was not able to come down because he had another commitment. The last time I saw him was the middle of August when they had a birthday party for me at Red Shoes. I was surprised and honored that George had driven down from the North side.

I was fortunate enough to have met him in my straight pool league at Red Shoes Billiards many years ago. I remember when I first joined the league and was looking around and I thought, "Is that George Fels over there?"

Eventually, I got to play with him and watch how he took the balls off the table. I remember describing one of my early matches with him as being like I was trapped inside a chapter in one of his books as he methodically took apart rack after rack.

I was able to see him in his natural habitat, chatting with his old pals Fred Bentivegna, Danny DiLiberto, and Frank "Sailor" Stellman. I was able to discuss with him straight pool players of our day like John Schmidt, Thorsten Hohmann, Mika Immonen.

One year we had a qualifier for the 14.1 World Tournament at Red Shoes and we had Steve and Curley from MIBilliards streaming it and I asked George if he could help us with commentary. He was a trouper and stayed until the last match was over, never leaving the stream. I know it was well after midnight, but George loved his straight pool.

His column was always a good read. I often told people that not only is he a great pool writer, but that he is a great writer, as well. Even if he had not been writing about pool, the way he put things together was very good.

Rest in Peace, George and know that parts of you will live on, in all the players that have learned from you.

I sat with George and Mike Panozzo.
The nurse informed us they were going to bathe him and we went for coffee.
We went back upstairs, and watched as the snow began to accumulate.
Mike eventually left, I stayed.
George's sons arrived and I was informed to say my goodbye's.
Then he opened his eyes!
He hadn't done so in all the hours last night and today, so I got excited and a bit loud (coffee), the nurse came in, told me to keepit down and that he had been opening his eyes.
I argued this may not be new but there was life there.
She exited.
I talked to him and said good bye and went to find his sons.
We talked.
I left and went and stood outside his room a moment, where I heard the tube being removed.
I cried and left.
While it is true he is breathing on his own at present, they expect him to pass within 6-9 hours.
I am angry and I am sad.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
According to Angel Levine on Facebook, George Fels just passed away. :(

This is so sad. We all loved George. I hope his family somehow knows the feelings that ALL of the billiard community had for George.

JoeyA

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I sat with George and Mike Panozzo.
The nurse informed us they were going to bathe him and we went for coffee.
We went back upstairs, and watched as the snow began to accumulate.
Mike eventually left, I stayed.
George's sons arrived and I was informed to say my goodbye's.
Then he opened his eyes!
He hadn't done so in all the hours last night and today, so I got excited and a bit loud (coffee), the nurse came in, told me to keepit down and that he had been opening his eyes.
I argued this may not be new but there was life there.
She exited.
I talked to him and said good bye and went to find his sons.
We talked.
I left and went and stood outside his room a moment, where I heard the tube being removed.
I cried and left.
While it is true he is breathing on his own at present, they expect him to pass within 6-9 hours.
I am angry and I am sad.

This personal recounting is the most poignant bit of writing I have ever experienced on this site. I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a sad day for pool. It seems that we have lost a lot of great people in 2013.

I want to extend my condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Fels. He will be dearly missed by all.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Dont have much to say at the moment. I will be attending the final services just as soon as I get the details from George's sons, Adam and Sam.

Beard

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The pool world lost a great one. RIP George.

Condolences to his family, close friends and everyone else whose lives he touched, whether you met him or not.

Dave

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Part of History..

I never had a chance to meet George. When I first started playing pool 40+ years ago ,I remember his name being mentioned many times. I have read many of his articles over the years. He purchased a few of our 14.1 straight pool T-Shirts last year. I knew he loved the game. My prayers go out to Adam and the rest of the family during these times. It's never easy to lose a loved one. God Bless you George. RIP

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More sadness descends upon our world with the passing of another friend. He was old school before the term became fashionable. He was the so very eloquent voice & soul of the game we all love so deeply. Some people's contributions to the game are irreplaceable - so it is with the passing of George Fels.

I've read all the other comments here & on other sites - smiling, laughing out loud & crying. This is a really tough loss in a very tough year of losses of so many in our world. Seems like George's passing has affected so many of us - on so many levels - from those who knew him only through his columns & from those who knew him as a friend & fellow competitor. Like so many others, I always turned to his column in Billiards Digest first. I always thought it was fitting that his column was on the last page of every issue. George always got the last word.

I've talked to more than a few of my midwest friends over the last two days & know how much they're hurting. George was a longtime presence in their everyday lives & the Chicago pool scene - a massive hole has been left by his passing. I'm sure I'm not alone in sending my thoughts & condolences to George's family, Mike Panozzo & the entire staff of Billiards Digest, the whole Chicago crew in addition to his many other friends & fans all over the world - all who loved him & will miss him terribly.

RIP, George...

Mary Kenniston

Photo courtesy of Mike Haines & Bill Porter - '08 Derby City Classic - Louisville, KY

Attachments

• George Fels - '08 HOF Dinner - DCC - Louisville, KY - PC of H & P.jpg
    George Fels - '08 HOF Dinner - DCC - Louisville, KY - PC of H & P.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 412