Getting Real

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never play eight Ball and have been messing around with it for the last week. It is entertaining...

but the real point, it's my shot and I'm solids.

. if I make a good hit and make the eight, it spots up and incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies, correct?

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually only time an 8 ball spots is if it goes on the break and you don't want a rerack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... . if I make a good hit and make the eight, it spots up and incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies, correct?
If you are playing by a set of rules, you need to see what they say. If you are playing in a bar, it's whatever your opponent says they are and you can try to appeal to the barkeep depending on how large your opponent is. Or, you could pull out the printed rules and see what happens. They'll probably call you a damned lawyer, though. Here is a reasonable set:

That set says you lose.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
since few have or know the rules in bars you have to go by the local rules that they play. and of course change to their advantage most times.
so simply have enough the best of it so no rules can turn your game into a losing one. which is almost always the case in a bar.
just let them do what they want and beat them anyway.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmph. I thought it was somewhat of a bar room perspective to award a win without sinking the 8 on a legal shot.

Given the ball return and the quarters and all that.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmph. I thought it was somewhat of a bar room perspective to award a win without sinking the 8 on a legal shot.

Given the ball return and the quarters and all that.
Really does depend from bar to bar, I was just quoting BCA rules.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up 8 ball is all that was played. 9-ball we played for fun among us kids but the older folk and all tournaments was 8 ball Friday night 8-ball Partners Saturday night and was that way for 50 years. We still play 8-ball the same way today as we did then. If you make the 8 on break you win , if you pocket it accidentally before it being the last ball you shoot then you lose.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
With coin-op tables the eight ball is usually beyond retrieval without feeding in more money. Some rule has to apply in this situation besides the rules of some associations to spot the eight, or that was their rules. It is usually played as a win on the break although some require calling the pocket on the break to win pocketing the eight ball. Best to call the pocket it is going closest to just in case. Then again, maybe you would lose your turn if you didn't make the eight! Other rules make the eight on the break a loss.

When somebody has already made some seat of the pants rule all you can do is play by it, or as Bob has already pointed out, might can make right! Not the subject here but one of the funnier things used to be the cue ball stopping on top of the rail or between rail and cushion on bar tables. When it happened when it was my opponents shot I always told them in an authoritive sounding voice play it where it lays. The funny thing was how many people bent over to do just that!

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a tad peeved the pic of the specific shot wouldn't load. Trying again here. There are 3 solids and the 8 left on the table.
Screenshot_20210128-080639.jpg

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mmmkay.

What I wanted to do, given it is solid's turn at the table, was to kick a solid and carom cb into/ make the 8, which I presumed would spot ((at other end of the table) and leave stripes to shoot he 8 from the head corner, jacked up.

Given you all informed making the 8 was actually a loss, I kicked an unshown solid and left that combo alone.

Stripes then kicked lightly at the 8 a made a bit of separation.

Solids played another safe and left 8 another bunt safe, or a kick bank to the opposite side, which was the shot I chose.

Close, but no ceeegar. Sold out and solids won.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I've played different leagues both ways. Some, If 8 drops out of turn, you lose, other handicapped rules state 8 spots up, and opponent gets BIH. Just clarify before you play.

In the bar, you always lose. Pay up.

Actually only time an 8 ball spots is if it goes on the break and you don't want a rerack.
Every bar I've played in, sinking the 8 on the break was a win. If it was a quarters table with no line, we'd designate another ball as the eight and play out the rack, but the original winner stayed on the table.

I found "house rules" can vary depending on who rules the table at the moment and it was always good policy to ask a few basic house rule questions to avoid questions later.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in depends on the table. As a kid (18 in NY) playing in bars on coin-op it was always 8 on the break wins. No one knew what nine ball was, much less 9/6. Because of the tight tables 6.5' you could combo off anything but the eight. An OB carom off the eight was good.

The only call you had to make was the eight. Depending on the bar, if you missed the pocket on the eight you lost. Others you lost your turn.

I would practice in a pool hall near home in NJ. Nobody played eight or nine ball that I ever saw. It was straight pool only. I could never hang with any of those players, holy smokes they called every freakin' shot on a nine foot table!

Now in my advanced age I have a 9' Gold Crown and a 6.5 Valley in the basement. Call shot eight ball on the big table and bar rules on the little one. But since it's so congested mostly it's 9 ball because the coin-op is disconnected. I keep the magnetic cue ball on the table as a training plan so I'm familiar with the feel. Ya never know.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
LOL...my home 8 ball rules are pretty strict. Especially on shot calling. I've forgotten what happens in bars.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr. Black Balled
..is it,
or was it,
the APA league set of rules that has caused all your contortions in understanding the ineligibility of the black balls' "right of way" to be real for a win?

...just curious having only heard stories of the APA game.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Black Balled
..is it,
or was it,
the APA league set of rules that has caused all your contortions in understanding the ineligibility of the black balls' "right of way" to be real for a win?

...just curious having only heard stories of the APA game.
I don't know what ruleset I thought was at hand. I was playing both sides in my basement, solo.

I still think it is b.s. that one can win without taking a shot.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh yeah', good reason for the bs of a win by error,
generally, it's witnessed as condolence's to the one in error,
the exception being in a better rival though,
being, "oh damn' I hate to see that".