Getting Shape when Object Ball is in Jaws of Pocket

B

Bigbro6060

It's so easy to stuff up position when you have the object ball right in the jaws of the pocket. In Tactical eightball matches where you cover pockets, this happens frequently

any tips?

I find i draw 70% on these shots and to ensure i draw at the right angle, i pretend i'm actually pocketing the ball in a imaginary point off the table

TomBrooklyn

Registered
You just reminded me I ordered a Bert tape about a month ago and I still haven't gotten it. How long do they usually take to arrive?

I thought he had one tape on jawed balls. Can you advise the names of the tapes you refer to? Do you own them?

= Tom

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Brooklyn... the names of the tapes are "#30 It's a Hanger" & #31 Side Pocket Winners". The answer is YES... I own them & a whole lot more too.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert Kinister has 2 or 3 GREAT Videos on getting position from the HANGERS... The Draw, the Rail first, Inside & Outside English & so on.... having the knowledge is worth the price of the Videos

What videos were these? I don't recall seeing any of Bert's videos that specifically addressed this. Possible I missed it though.

Yes, I know this thread is over 20 years old but aren't Bert's videos out on YouTube now?

r/DCP

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ol Bert has helped many a Player learn some valuable info. Getting position, after making a Gimme, isn't always that easy, because sometimes the Cue Ball still has some energy or spin, that causes it to do funny things. Take a look at his suggestions & practice them until the new info is Second Nature..

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's so easy to stuff up position when you have the object ball right in the jaws of the pocket. In Tactical eightball matches where you cover pockets, this happens frequently

any tips?

I find i draw 70% on these shots and to ensure i draw at the right angle, i pretend i'm actually pocketing the ball in a imaginary point off the table
Yes, when the object ball is deep in the jaws, rail first isn't generally a good option. Draw is usually going to be your best chance here.

When you have the option of ball first or rail first, more often than not, you are not facing a difficult situation with regard to position play.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

any tips?

A good drill for this is to place a ball in one center pocket, a ball in the other, and practice drawing off the shot to pocket the other ball. Work on pocketing it directly square, and as you progress, you work on pocketing the second ball with make speed, cutting it one way or the other, etc. Then place the CB slightly off center and repeat. This trues up your stroke to be able to draw off the ball in the pocket "at a specific desired angle". This requires pocketing the ball with a clear idea of how thick you are hitting it, with a laser straight stroke.

Another positive development from this drill is that in 8 ball, you can more reliably draw into clusters on the other side of the table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ol Bert has helped many a Player learn some valuable info. Getting position, after making a Gimme, isn't always that easy, because sometimes the Cue Ball still has some energy or spin, that causes it to do funny things. Take a look at his suggestions & practice them until the new info is Second Nature..
People don't know anymore, but the Terminator has some ding dong daddy in him.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...when the object ball is deep in the jaws, rail first isn't generally a good option.
But when it is, less power/spin is needed.

pj
chgo

Screenshot 2023-10-16 190255.png

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

any tips?

Jerry Brieseth has a good U Tube video on hangers.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And in case I didn't post it earlier....

Here is a proposition/challenge that I saw about 60 years ago. I think it is in Willie Jopling's book in the proposition section. I saw someone lose $120 at this for a dollar a try -- slow learner.

Put 6 balls in the jaws of the six pockets. Bet the client he can't pocket the balls in the order you call. You call the next shot after the cue ball stops rolling for the current shot. It's not allowed to pocket two balls on a shot but you are allowed to bump balls (which is usually a disaster).

Of course you place the balls in the most difficult part of the pocket. For the corners, this is on the long-rail jaw as deep as it will go. For the side pockets, put the ball centered but exactly one ball off the rail so you can't sneak behind it when you might have to.

With a deep shelf in the corner pockets, like on a Diamond, this might be hard even for top players.