Goofy Bar Rules I Have Encountered

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was back in the midwest we would play chalk eight.

After the break you would place the chalk on the table with the divot up and set the eight ball on the chalk. If you knocked the eight ball off the chalk during the game you lost.
Once you made your last ball the eight ball would be placed back onto the table and you would shoot it as per normal.:cool:

Sounds pretty fun actually

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

After the break you would place the chalk on the table with the divot up and set the eight ball on the chalk. If you knocked the eight ball off the chalk during the game you lost.
Once you made your last ball the eight ball would be placed back onto the table and you would shoot it as per normal.:cool:

I grew up in MI and never heard of that lol. Where did that happen. Sounds like a game Corey would trap you with.
Jason

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I grew up in MI and never heard of that lol. Where did that happen. Sounds like a game Corey would trap you with.
Jason

This was in eastern Nebraska. The game is better on a barbox than the big track. It can get interesting if you only have one piece of chalk:grin:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Up north in Wisconsin a guy challenged my table. He said two things, but I only heard to play for a buck.

What he actually said, was to play for a buck and a crawl. Luckily I won. He gave me a buck, and he proceeded to army crawl under the length of the table. LOL

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

...1. Spacing: if the cue ball is up against the rail, you can move it away by the width of your cue stick butt.

^^^ that's not a goofy bar rule........pretty much a universal professional billiards rule....

I thought touching the cue ball after the break, except BIH, was a foul. Learn something new every day.

Now where did I put my croquet mallet?

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you hook yourself on the 8 and don't hit it, you lose. If your opponent hooks you on the 8, then you can play safe.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey, that's a brilliant game. Gotta play that one tonight with my buddies on the barbox. One of them always shoots like a madman when he does not have a good shot hoping that something will fall (since he obviously likes to play slop 8-ball). And he is a lucky sonofa .... works for him far more than usual. The chalk eight game is gonna put some more sense into him :)

Up north in Wisconsin a guy challenged my table. He said two things, but I only heard to play for a buck.

What he actually said, was to play for a buck and a crawl. Luckily I won. He gave me a buck, and he proceeded to army crawl under the length of the table. LOL

The room owners are loving that one. Saves a lot on cleaning staff. Dry cleaners might like it too. Wives doing the laundry probably not so much :)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Official" Bar Rules?

This has been a fun and interesting thread so far, thanks to all who contributed.

A couple of things occur to me.

First, I would have thought that some beer company would have at some time in the 100+ years that pool tables have been put into bars, published a set of rules as a promotional, advertising piece. Does anyone know if this ever happened? You know, like a little booklet or folded card with coin-op rules. Or maybe one of the coin-op table companies, like Valley, Dynamo, et.al.?

Second, I would have thought that if I searched online I'd find a written set of coin-op 8 ball rules. The pickin's have been slim! The best one I found, so far leaves much to be desired, in that it seems to have been edited from a non-coin-up ruleset, or perhaps even a non-eight ball ruleset; and, the writing is kinda clunky. FOr example, at one point it states:

Any balls pocketed as the result of striking the 8 ball do not yield the shooting player any score, and the shooting player's inning comes to an end.

Score? What score? This is the first and only time 'score' is mentioned in this rule set. i know some leagues score 8 ball according to pocketed balls for the loser, bt without this context the above is meaningless.

I propose that a published coin-op 8 ball (COEB) ruleset would be useful, especially if printed and distributed by a beer company or other sponsor; and that, in addition to a base set of rules, could have a 'menu' of local option variations that could be checked-off as in effect or not in effect for that location.

In addition, the ruleset could specifically exclude certain 'rules,' like 'spacing,' rather than not mention them and leave it up to the local sharks.

Finally, I always thought that the publication, "Decisions on the Rules of Golf," that accompanies the rules of golf and discusses details of how a rules decision was made in a particular difficult situation is an excellent idea. This COEB ruleset could have an annex that is a compilation of rules interpretations based on difficult or confusing, real-life situations that are not easily encoded into the rules themselves.

Thoughts?

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isnt this an English 8 ball rule?? If so I can see how someone may try to apply it to bar room 8 ball

Last time I was in europe I played bar pool with a few random drinkers and they pulled this rule on me - I took their word for it but was adamant that I have never played a game of bar pool where a miss allows the opponent 2 shots.

I figured they needed the extra luck against me and let them have their extra shots. Bullshit rule though.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isnt this an English 8 ball rule?? If so I can see how someone may try to apply it to bar room 8 ball

I don't know about that, I just know that that is one of the bar rules that people like to use in Holland that are not very pool-savvy. Usually they try to get strategic with the first shot and then capitalize on that with the second (and usually with little success).

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JViss, You're talking about a list of rules that drunks and loudmouths have to read and understand?? If a rules question should arise am I to go to the bar and get the rule book? Then I come back to the table and say "Look here in the book where it says......." They'd suggest, urge or yell for me to go Fvk myself.
Mitch

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
There is a bar here that plays a lot of those mentioned rules.

Playing a league match and the match was over, guy asks to play for a decent amount. We're both league players and it was stipulated Valley rules OK?

Down on my last shot for the match shoot the 8 and it brushes the side close to the pocket facing (on the 8 ball) and he said you didn't call the rail, you lose.

There was a fight afterwards.

Other things I've seen.

All the balls are out on the table and you can shoot them for as long as you want, but you have to pay the bartender to use the rack each game. So, you pay the bartender to use the rack, rack the balls, and then return the rack.

Scratches cost $1 into this big plastic thing and ticket raffled off at a certain time.

No touching the 8 ball during the game with one of your balls

Both feet always on the floor

1 stick to break, play, and jump.

Even with BIH if you are on the 8 and it is behind the line, you have to kick. They don't like the shot where you hit just past the 2nd diamond with a ton of right and bring the cue ball back into the kitchen to hit or make the 8 ball.

That's all I can remember right now.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Playing a league match and the match was over, guy asks to play for a decent amount. We're both league players and it was stipulated Valley rules OK?

Down on my last shot for the match shoot the 8 and it brushes the side close to the pocket facing (on the 8 ball) and he said you didn't call the rail, you lose.

And when it is a bank 8 game, then you cannot cheat the pocket shot for the bank.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rule # 10. If the 8 brushes the rail on the way to the pocket, it's called a bank shot that you didn't call. 8 doesn't count and you lose your turn.

Rule # 11. If your object ball caroms off one of my balls...it's an illegal shot and you lose your turn.

Yes, I think I'll meet you at the poolroom since you play your best game on a 9 footer and we can bet it up.

Shit. You went mild with #11. I have seen rattled shots deemed uncalled bank shots and resulting in loss of turn! Never mind the shots down the rails that count and strike the same facings...and anyway, being bar rules...your loss of turn on the 8 isn't harsh enough. How you gonna get that 8b back? You aren't! You lose, obviously and logically.

And this thread has busted me on one of my secret hustle tricks, #1. I always motion that I am doing it and say, 'you guys play that way here, I can move the ball, right?' If they say yes, my proficiency level goes up 4%. If they say no, I look green and the trap is sprung, either way:rolleyes::grin-square:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is very cool, actually. Musta been a coffee bar. In Amsterdam.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Even with BIH if you are on the 8 and it is behind the line, you have to kick. They don't like the shot where you hit just past the 2nd diamond with a ton of right and bring the cue ball back into the kitchen to hit or make the 8 ball.

That one has to be the all-time stupidest rule, but man is it universal throughout the country. No matter where I've played in bars it's the standard...just yet another reason I avoid pool in bars at all cost.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That one has to be the all-time stupidest rule, but man is it universal throughout the country. No matter where I've played in bars it's the standard...just yet another reason I avoid pool in bars at all cost.

Yeah, but we have tables at home. What if a crap ass bar was the only pool within an hour? Could you imagine?!

That is- literally- the most awful thing I have hear all day.

I take it back. Don't think about it. Its too scary.