Gorst makes history at DCC

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It has been mentioned that Gorst now becomes only the second player in DCC history to win all three of the main tournaments. The first was Alex Pagulayan. What makes this special is this is Fedor's third time playing at Derby. He did it in two years what took Alex ten plus years. Fedor made some other history as well.

He becomes one of only four players to have gone back to back All Around Champions:

Fedor- 2022, 2023
Alex- 2015, 2016
SVB- 2011, 2012
Efren- 2004, 2005

One of only 4 players to go back to back in a specific tournament:

Fedor- 2022, 2023 Bank Pool
SVB- 2011, 2012 One Pocket
Brumback- 2009, 2010 Bank Pool
Efren- 2004-2006 One Pocket

One of only 3 players in DCC history to win two events in one year:

Fedor- 2022 (Banks, One Pocket), 2023 (Banks, 9 Ball)
SVB- 2012 (One Pocket, 9 Ball)
Efren- 2005 (One Pocket, 9 Ball)

Only player in DCC history to win two events in back to back years:

2022 (Banks, One Pocket)
2023 (Banks, 9 Ball)
Another great tournament for Fedor, who has firmly established himself in the last year as the best pool player on Earth. One small correction though. He did not win ALL three of the main tournaments. He won two of them, plus the Bigfoot tourney (wrong, Shane won it!). Tony Chohan won the third main event, the One Pocket. Credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great tournament for Fedor, who has firmly established himself in the last year as the best pool player on Earth. One small corrective though. He did not win ALL three of the main tournaments. He won two of them, plus the Bigfoot tourney. Tony Chohan won the third main event, the One Pocket. Credit where credit is due.
Imo he is the current strongest player. And I think he will be for a long time. I don’t see any holes in him or his game. Pretty cool!

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great tournament for Fedor, who has firmly established himself in the last year as the best pool player on Earth. One small correction though. He did not win ALL three of the main tournaments. He won two of them, plus the Bigfoot tourney. Tony Chohan won the third main event, the One Pocket. Credit where credit is due.
I think he was referring to career and not this year. SVB won the bigfoot this year I thought. cheers

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure how you could possibly debate the benefits of being in shape for pool *shakes head*

in any case, incredible run from Fedor

who had the last great run like this? Mika?
Ive been a fitness and health nut for a couple decades. But in pool, I really don't think it's that important. Look at all the Filipinos with rice belies out the door. Busty, for example, would be a betting favorite over Thorsten even today, and he's older and way out of shape, while Thorsten is a workout machine. Same with Mika, a workout machine, but Busty would mop the floor with him today. Efren was winning MOT and onepocket also being out of shape well into his late 50's. Mizerak and Hall and Bassavich were winning everything when they were 300 lbs.

I know in theory the fitter person should have more stamina, better nerves, better balance, better xyz, but in real results, the tournament and gambling victories don't seem to correlate.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ive been a fitness and health nut for a couple decades. But in pool, I really don't think it's that important. Look at all the Filipinos with rice belies out the door. Busty, for example, would be a betting favorite over Thorsten even today, and he's older and way out of shape, while Thorsten is a workout machine. Same with Mika, a workout machine, but Busty would mop the floor with him today. Efren was winning MOT and onepocket also being out of shape well into his late 50's. Mizerak and Hall and Bassavich were winning everything when they were 300 lbs.

I know in theory the fitter person should have more stamina, better nerves, better balance, better xyz, but in real results, the tournament and gambling victories don't seem to correlate.
It’s also a lot, lot easier to stay up all night when you’re 22 vs 40s. Trust me lol.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

Miz and Bassavich were CONSTANTLY tired.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s just not true. It’s a game played with concentration and a single arm motion. Physical fitness is not relevant.

Tell that to Miz who had a tough time playing and moving around when he got a bit oversized, and every pro commentator that talks about needing to be healthy to have the stamina to get through a tough multi-day tournament. Knees and back take a beating if someone is not in good shape, you are always too hot due to all the insulation, and there is also the simple belly hook where you can't stretch to reach a shot or bend over without fouling. I know from experience; my wife's side of the family is all larger and none of them can play for more than a few matches without complaining about this hurts or that hurts or the temperature.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Philipinos are still "fit" compared to the 3 Big Macs a day, jumbo soda drinking, coke snorting Americans ;)

You don't need to work out constantly or jog for miles to be in decent shape, it can come from genetics or simple lifestyle and culture you grew up in. The Asian countries are not going to be winning a lot of boulder tossing competitions, but you can put more of them in an elevator before hitting the weight limit and the average life expectancy is higher than just about anywhere else, even if you take medical technology into account. They had longer lives decades before we had decent medicine in developed countries, when people were using leeches and prayer to heal the Asians were living like a decade longer than elsewhere.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great tournament for Fedor, who has firmly established himself in the last year as the best pool player on Earth. One small correction though. He did not win ALL three of the main tournaments. He won two of them, plus the Bigfoot tourney (wrong, Shane won it!). Tony Chohan won the third main event, the One Pocket. Credit where credit is due.
Meant that Fedor won all three events in general, not all three in the same year. I saw Tony win the one pocket. Guy is a beast.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before they instated the age restriction, I filmed Fedor in 2015 & 2016 at Derby watching, and practicing.😃
...and I photographed him in 2016, so yes, he was there for sure :)

DCC2016-1103-XL.jpg

WobblyStroke

That’s just not true. It’s a game played with concentration and a single arm motion. Physical fitness is not relevant.
Long stretches of mental focus take a lot out of you energy-wise. Fun fact: chess masters expend 9000calories during a day of competition...just sitting in a chair moving lil pieces around.
There's a reason Earl has remained competitive...not the best, but competitive....for such a long time. He runs 5miles a day. Many top poker players make this type of running a non-negotiable aspect of their preparation for sitting around playing cards. If you aren't in great shape, your energy will wane the deeper you go into tournaments, esp if you are in multiple events over a week+. It takes a lot out of you. The better shape you are in, the better.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long stretches of mental focus take a lot out of you energy-wise. Fun fact: chess masters expend 9000calories during a day of competition...just sitting in a chair moving lil pieces around.
There's a reason Earl has remained competitive...not the best, but competitive....for such a long time. He runs 5miles a day. Many top poker players make this type of running a non-negotiable aspect of their preparation for sitting around playing cards. If you aren't in great shape, your energy will wane the deeper you go into tournaments, esp if you are in multiple events over a week+. It takes a lot out of you. The better shape you are in, the better.
When I’m in better shape everything is better.

Heightened state of being comes with being fit
FF7CE4F2-C288-4830-AE60-8FF8A33AC496.jpeg

I was dabbing them real good back then(same watch)