great players, little fanfare

rbgarmon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought about this at work today and was wondering if i might get some feedback.Who are some of the best players out there that get the least amount of recognition?Im not referring to world class players such as Archer or Efren.One name that comes to my mind is Dennis Hatch.Never seen him on ESPN but man, this guy can string out some racks.
 
Jose Parica comes to mind. He basically paved the way for the Phillipino invasion to the U.S.

Southpaw
 
rbgarmon said:
I thought about this at work today and was wondering if i might get some feedback.Who are some of the best players out there that get the least amount of recognition?Im not referring to world class players such as Archer or Efren.One name that comes to my mind is Dennis Hatch.Never seen him on ESPN but man, this guy can string out some racks.

Jose Garcia from Vineland, New Jersey. Extremely excellent player at 9 ball and straight pool.
 
jose garcia is a great 9 ball player, but his straight pool game is as good as almost anybody on the planet! he just doesnt play much because he is more focused on his family and his business.
 
Nick Varner

rbgarmon said:
I thought about this at work today and was wondering if i might get some feedback.Who are some of the best players out there that get the least amount of recognition?Im not referring to world class players such as Archer or Efren.One name that comes to my mind is Dennis Hatch.Never seen him on ESPN but man, this guy can string out some racks.


I'm not sure this meets your criteria of "not world class" players, because he most certainly is, but I have always felt that Nick Varner is under appreciated and has not been given his fair share of accolades. Here's why...Varner is the ONLY pro to have won World Championships in ALL 5 pocket billiards disciplines...8 ball, 9 ball, 14.1, 1 pocket and banks. The mighty Efren has not won a World 14.1 nor a World Bank Pool Championship. Nick has NEVER been in trouble with the law, has always been a first class ambassador for our great sport and is well liked and respected by his peers. However, the big 3 pool magazines (BD, P&B, IP) have never done an indepth interview or feature article on him. I have e-mailed and telephoned BD as well as P&B magazine asking them to do a nice write up on Varner but so far, they have elected not to. Although his best playing days are probably behind him, his credentials will always be world class.
 
rbgarmon said:
I thought about this at work today and was wondering if i might get some feedback.Who are some of the best players out there that get the least amount of recognition?Im not referring to world class players such as Archer or Efren.One name that comes to my mind is Dennis Hatch.Never seen him on ESPN but man, this guy can string out some racks.

This is an interesting topic. I'de like to also add Tommy Kennedy, one of the most lovable guys in pool who I doubt anybody could say anything bad about. Great player also.

Jason Miller is a super talent. And how about the bank pool specialists such as Truman Hogue, John Brumback and Glen Rogers?
 
Maybe the lack of publicity with Nick Varner and the lack of interviews is his own choice? He may decline interviews.

Lately people are talking about dennis orcullo but I get the impression he played for a while at a very high level without getting recognition. Thomas Engert is just barely on famous side, but he should be even more famous than he is because I think his straight pool high run is higher than any living player's, like 30 balls shy of mosconi's record. He's won a bunch of other events including 9 ball, and he's said to be super strong at 8 ball too.
I was very impressed with the play of Fabio Petroni too.

I think nick varner and my choices are also too 'world class' for what garmon was looking for, I think he means players the average pool fan haven't really heard of.
 
yes cree-do, but still a good answer.hers another name that comes to mind. Bobby Pickle. ive never seen him play but if hes gonna play Archer even he must have alot of game.
 
CreeDo said:
Maybe the lack of publicity with Nick Varner and the lack of interviews is his own choice? He may decline interviews.

Lately people are talking about dennis orcullo but I get the impression he played for a while at a very high level without getting recognition. Thomas Engert is just barely on famous side, but he should be even more famous than he is because I think his straight pool high run is higher than any living player's, like 30 balls shy of mosconi's record. He's won a bunch of other events including 9 ball, and he's said to be super strong at 8 ball too.
I was very impressed with the play of Fabio Petroni too.

I think nick varner and my choices are also too 'world class' for what garmon was looking for, I think he means players the average pool fan haven't really heard of.

CreeDo,
I talked to Varner in person about this very topic and he would do the interviews, etc if someone from any of the mags would ask. AZB did a nice interview w/ him that is in their archives under "Interviews". But you're probably right about him being too world class for this particular thread.
I agree with you 100% about Thomas Engert.
 
rbgarmon said:
I thought about this at work today and was wondering if i might get some feedback.Who are some of the best players out there that get the least amount of recognition?Im not referring to world class players such as Archer or Efren.One name that comes to my mind is Dennis Hatch.Never seen him on ESPN but man, this guy can string out some racks.

You're right about Hatch, he is definitely a 1st-tier player in the U.S. He has been on ESPN before, when he finished 2nd to Buddy Hall in the U.S. Open (I believe it was 1998, and the final was 9-8).

Someone mentioned Varner. He has always been one of my favorite players, and I consider him to be one of the best all-around players of all time. He's right there with Sigel, Mizerak and Hopkins for best all-around player in the U.S, over the last 35 years.
 
Thanks for the link to the interview with Varner :D

I keep forgetting there's other stuff on the site besides the forums. It's a good read and I can see there are a ton of others worth checking out too.
 
rbgarmon said:
yes cree-do, but still a good answer.hers another name that comes to mind. Bobby Pickle. ive never seen him play but if hes gonna play Archer even he must have alot of game.
Tournaments are televised. There are alot of pool players that are known for their action and not for tournaments. Bobby Pickle being one of the action guys. Although he did beat Efren Reyes in 9 ball at the Derby this year. Over all he was up late in action. What about Jack Cooney? I've heard he was a monster in the box!
 
Have you ever seen George Breedlove play? Here's a guy who is a great thinker, shotmaker, and is one of the most honest people out there. All this while running his own business full-time, which I believe is the reason he doesn't play more than he does. These are my impressions of him seeing him play in person a few times and reading about him calling a foul on himself at a critical point of an IPT qualifier last year. He seems to be a quiet guy, but he sure can do some talking with a cue stick. I'm thinking his recent appearances on ESPN are some of the first times he's been on television.
 
Yeah, I'll second breedlove. His 9 ball on TV looked perfect. That must happen when you drill w/Jeanette for hours each day.

Coff. I didn't just say that.
 
Good post Ragbug.

Probably the first post in history that gives George props without the obligatory "you know who" mention.

Not that there is anything wrong with that........:)
 
Back
Top