GSBT Payout ?

MikeJanis

Banned
watchez said:
No Mike, I think your find is the anomaly.

I think it must be AZ that got these payouts wrong (well at least with Calcutta added as the Viking Tour touts its' payouts) because looking at the next two events on the list:
http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2008.php?eventnum=259
Tournament Payouts
Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
June 28 - 29, 2008
Randolph's Billiards
Hickory, NC

Place Playername Prize Money
1st place Larry Nevel $1,000.00
2nd place JR Rossman $600.00
3rd place Mike Davis $400.00
4th place Mark Parlier $200.00
5th place Brian Capps $100.00
5th place Darryl Caldwell $100.00
7th place Eddie Little $50.00
7th place Peaches Fuller $50.00

http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2008.php?eventnum=284
Tournament Payouts
Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
July 12 - 13, 2008
Diamond Billiard Club
Chattanooga, Tennessee

Place Playername Prize Money
1st place Randy Jordon $1,000.00
2nd place Billy Young $500.00
3rd place Jesse Middlebrook $300.00
4th place Larry Nevel $200.00
5th place Shannon Daulton $100.00
5th place Mark Nanashee $100.00
7th place Billy Bailey $50.00
7th place Adam Wilson $50.00

Unless, this is 3 out of the last 4 events that Shannon held & did not have a player auction (which I find highly unlikely). Again, it appears that the GSBT is not following the standard.

It must not be a complete anomaly.

Check here: http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2007.php?eventnum=78

Here: http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2007.php?eventnum=320

Here: http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2007.php?eventnum=418

here: http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2007.php?eventnum=447

I'm done.

Mj

MikeJanis

Banned
coop19772002 said:
I don't have anything to hide. Marge put this info. in a thread right here on AZ- w/ all of the breakdowns. Tourney and auction figures 3 matter of a fact. Since we have been having internet trouble I had Sherry get the info. off of the thread which she did and write the story. (by the way she does a great job) I have never intentionally boosted payouts by adding in the auction figures and never will. AZ does a great job for us getting our info. correct and reported quickly. I have searched for the thread and can't find it.

Ehemm, Did you look at the above post ?

I know, I know. It wasnt you. Somebody else did it all those time to.

Good Luck with that.

Mj

av84fun

Banned
Well, you just flew your true colors with this post. You have an axe to grind with Shannon.? Fine, grind it...but don't sneek up behind him like a coward on the playground....which is what your first post now OBVIOUSLY was.

You got a beef? Fine...then BEEF LIKE A MAN.

You seem to have a beef with EVERY other tour...including starting a thread calling them thieves.

You really demean yourself with that sort of petty nonsense. But not to worry. You keep holding the events and kick in some added money and the players will keep coming.

They don't care about whether the promoters are nice, or honest, or ex-convicts or even CURRENT convicts in one infamous example.

But some people care about their own personal integrity and don't like petty little sneak attacks.

I am one of them.

Jim

MikeJanis said:
Shannon, I am not trying to run all the other tours out of business. Only the bad ones. Additionally it was TK that started the whole $1,000 thing and I won't even correct you on the other mistakes. Just giving TK the correct recognition.

Shannon, when you came to starting the GSBT through the 8-ball tour I was one of the first to help you. We ( the Viking Tour) provided a championship for your players so you could make money by charging the players TC's and we provided advertising support along with contact information. Heck, I even held one of your events at the Pool Room I was managing at the time in Duluth, GA. We had an agreement and not only did you not fully honor the agreement you purposely split off and competed directly with me. I have heard from quite few room owners about your tactics on selling events while discrediting the Viking Tour and quite a few of the stories have been blatant lies on your part to them (Of course this is their story but it is odd that I have heard the same story from more than 1 room owner.).
Personally, I always felt an immediate responsibility to the players, fans, room owners and sponsors to get my results correct. We have also had misquotes on event #rs and/or payouts but I always immediately followed up with the magazines and/or websites to immediately correct the articles.

No matter how you look at it there was a mistake made and by whoever does not matter. It should be your responsibility to get it corrected ASAP. An anomaly in the #rs like that could show a devastating trend in our sport and everyone needs to be on top of it.

Shannon, over the years I have paid to get you into and for accommodations at large Viking Tour events along with food and travel expenses. I even saved your ass when some bookie guy wanted to kill you in Cleveland (that cost me a big favor to someone I did not want to owe but I did it to help you.). I have never purposely tried to harm your reputation or events. But now, consider those good times over.

I mean c'mon Shannon, 20% fee off the player auction. What gives. No guarantees for room owners as long as you make a buck. It's things like that that are bad for the sport. Then, and then, at the SCO you picked up a chalk from a sponsor that has been supporting our sport since 1994 and in front of all the spectators threw it on the ground and said "this stuff is junk" then pretended to spit on it. And you wonder why you have such little sponsorship from the industry. I was soo embarrassed for you I didn't even have the balls to kick your no class butt out of the event. I figured your character spoke for itself and that was enough punishment.

You are already seeing a decline in new events and players. Keep doing things like you have been and we won't have to have these conversations.

Good Luck,

Mj

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
coop19772002 said:
I don't have anything to hide. Marge put this info. in a thread right here on AZ- w/ all of the breakdowns. Tourney and auction figures 3 matter of a fact. Since we have been having internet trouble I had Sherry get the info. off of the thread which she did and write the story. (by the way she does a great job) I have never intentionally boosted payouts by adding in the auction figures and never will. AZ does a great job for us getting our info. correct and reported quickly. I have searched for the thread and can't find it.

Let me help you out-

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=106476&highlight=great+southern+billiard

We had 48 players this weekend for the event.
4 ladies played for FREE!! Rayanne Harvala won the top prize - $50. Congrats to her! Also, we had 6 military players that played FREE and 5 seniors that played for half price. Darryl (the room owner) ended up adding $3600 and TD Shannon Daulton threw in an extra $50 to the already great pay out. Also, offered was an extra $200 to any player that ran out the set from their first shot. With the calibur of players we had I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Payouts:
1st $1500 / $1500 / $800 / $350
2nd $1000 / $1000 / $525 / $220
3rd $700 / $600 / $325
4th $500 / $400
5/6th $225 / $250
7/8th $150
9-12th $50

Total: $10,770

We have had a great time here in La Grange, GA!! This tournament will be one to remember. We had 3 auctions- the first one had 10 blind bids and in the 2nd all 16 players went blind!!! How amazing is that?? If you ever get around this area be sure to stop in and check this place out.

coop19772002

The GSBT
Silver Member
watchez said:
Let me help you out-

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=106476&highlight=great+southern+billiard

We had 48 players this weekend for the event.
4 ladies played for FREE!! Rayanne Harvala won the top prize - $50. Congrats to her! Also, we had 6 military players that played FREE and 5 seniors that played for half price. Darryl (the room owner) ended up adding $3600 and TD Shannon Daulton threw in an extra $50 to the already great pay out. Also, offered was an extra $200 to any player that ran out the set from their first shot. With the calibur of players we had I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Payouts:
1st $1500 / $1500 / $800 / $350
2nd $1000 / $1000 / $525 / $220
3rd $700 / $600 / $325
4th $500 / $400
5/6th $225 / $250
7/8th $150
9-12th $50

Total: $10,770

We have had a great time here in La Grange, GA!! This tournament will be one to remember. We had 3 auctions- the first one had 10 blind bids and in the 2nd all 16 players went blind!!! How amazing is that?? If you ever get around this area be sure to stop in and check this place out.

Thanks I did eventually find it but you beat me to it. I just want to reiterate what a great job all of our sponsors do for the tour. We have only been around for 2 full years now and are still learning how to run a fair and legitimate pool tour. We will continue working hard and want to thank all of our supporters for giving us a chance to make this the best tour for the sport of pool. I will continue to strive to make The Great Southern Billiard Tour successful because I truly love the game.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is an unfortunate thread for all concerned. Airing your dirty linen in public is never a good thing. Like many others I feel that if Mike had a genuine concern about the pay outs in one of Shannon's events, he should have contacted him directly first, before posting on here. Maybe then he would not have had to post this thread at all. Now it appears that the real agenda was not so well intentioned.

Subsequent posts reveal quite a bit of animosity both ways. Too bad it had to be made public, but that's what can happen when you start down this path. Someone once said "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

So now we know that there is no love lost between Mike and Shannon, and maybe that's what this was all about from the beginning. The readers of the AZ Forum are for the most part, a pretty intelligent group of individuals, and I think they saw through this early on, for what it was.

Mike has done a commendable job with the Viking Tour for many years now. And Shannon has developed a reputation as a fine player and tremendous asset to the sport. If Shannon now chooses to establish his own tour (the GSBT), I say go for it! It's a big country and there is always room for one more player and one more tour. Ultimately it is the players who decide where and for who they want to play. They vote with their wallets. Whichever tour treats the players the best and the most fairly will be rewarded with increased participation. And that's the way it should be.

I will close by saying this. I have known Shannon since he was a 14 year old kid. He has always been a straight shooter with me, and I'm not talking about on the pool table either. I've been involved with him multiple times in various dealings and we've never had a problem. And I doubt we ever will. I would trust what he says about the tournament pay outs. If he were to err, it would probably be in favor of the players and not vice versa.

I hope both these men can put this behind them and move on. They have a lot to offer the pool world. To continue this feud will serve neither one of them.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
WOW.......isnt AZ great. We have players knocking players, cue makers knocking cue makers, AND NOW........tours knocking tours. What most people dont realize is.......this is the nature of the beast. It has been happening for over a century.
To both Mike and Shannon.....putting this on the internet is a BAD move. Take my word for it. Wish each other success and keep doing what you are doing.

BreakersOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey I think they need to meet somewhere and battle it out on the felt. TD vs TD race to 21 for whatever they decide to play for.....$10,000....$20,000...or hey maybe even tour rights in a geographic area.

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
This is an unfortunate thread for all concerned. Airing your dirty linen in public is never a good thing. Like many others I feel that if Mike had a genuine concern about the pay outs in one of Shannon's events, he should have contacted him directly first, before posting on here. Maybe then he would not have had to post this thread at all. Now it appears that the real agenda was not so well intentioned.

Subsequent posts reveal quite a bit of animosity both ways. Too bad it had to be made public, but that's what can happen when you start down this path. Someone once said "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

So now we know that there is no love lost between Mike and Shannon, and maybe that's what this was all about from the beginning. The readers of the AZ Forum are for the most part, a pretty intelligent group of individuals, and I think they saw through this early on, for what it was.

Mike has done a commendable job with the Viking Tour for many years now. And Shannon has developed a reputation as a fine player and tremendous asset to the sport. If Shannon now chooses to establish his own tour (the GSBT), I say go for it! It's a big country and there is always room for one more player and one more tour. Ultimately it is the players who decide where and for who they want to play. They vote with their wallets. Whichever tour treats the players the best and the most fairly will be rewarded with increased participation. And that's the way it should be.

I will close by saying this. I have known Shannon since he was a 14 year old kid. He has always been a straight shooter with me, and I'm not talking about on the pool table either. I've been involved with him multiple times in various dealings and we've never had a problem. And I doubt we ever will. I would trust what he says about the tournament pay outs. If he were to err, it would probably be in favor of the players and not vice versa.

I hope both these men can put this behind them and move on. They have a lot to offer the pool world. To continue this feud will serve neither one of them.
Well said Jay............

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rockin' Robin said:
WOW.......isnt AZ great. We have players knocking players, cue makers knocking cue makers, AND NOW........tours knocking tours. What most people dont realize is.......this is the nature of the beast. It has been happening for over a century.
To both Mike and Shannon.....putting this on the internet is a BAD move. Take my word for it. Wish each other success and keep doing what you are doing.

The Internet environment is a difficult climate, especially when things are written that are open for misinterpretation.

I have been on the receiving end on this forum of "hate-filled loons" -- thanks, K ;) -- when I felt what the "hate-filled loons" had written was not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. :p

August veteran forum posters will always advise to take the high road and not respond when this happens, but, man, this ain't always possible, especially when somebody's integrity is at stake. :sorry:

I think this pool world is big enough for both tours, Viking and Great Southern. In fact, I wish y'all would come up by D.C. way on occasion. :grin-square:

The regional tours today, at least in my opinion, as it pertains to pool in the United States provides the best bang for the buck. I have not been to all the regional tours, but the ones I have frequented have all been first class all the way. I don't have one bad thing to say about any of them.

The tournament coordinators and directors each put their heart and soul into making these events become a reality. It hurts when things are said that are derogatory in nature. Sometimes people don't know all the facts and/or what goes on behind the scenes.

Long live the regional tours, to include Viking and Great Southern. I kind of have a special place in my heart for the Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour too. :wink:

BTW, the $25,000-added Turning Stone event put on by Joss is coming up in a few weeks. I salute Mike Zuglan and all tournament coordinators and directors, to include Mike Janis, Shannon Daulton, Marge Cooper, Cece Little, Andy Lincoln, and Josh Dickerson as well.

So, in case anybody hasn't said it recently, thanks Mike, Shannon, and Marge for keeping pool alive and well! Your efforts are appreciated. :smile:

JAM

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
where???

muttley76 said:
Stick, looks like you got your counter.
Where you at southpaw?? jump in here!!! have a question, did you guys talk about me and wanda when we were running tournys??i never heard a discouring word!! good time had by all . and me and redwillis worked together. dam those were the good old days!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
Ktown D said:
Based on all of the other responses in this thread I seem to be the only one that figured this to be an honest innocent inquisition about the entrants and the discounts.

D<-- glass half full guy:thumbup:
Sorry K,

I thought there may have been a little sarcasm in your statement. I like Mike and Shannon, and know them both well. I have played many events on each tour. But I'll be the first to admit that I initially didn't think Mike's reason for the thread was purely inquisition.

One good thing that will come out of this (for the players at least) is that any TD now knows that someone is peeking over their shoulder, and crunching the numbers behind their back. Not that things haven't been on the up and up, but now I think the TDs will take extra care to be sure that the tournament payouts are correct. I don't think any of them believe that a little skim from the prize fund is worth the integrity of their tour. And as a player, it doesn't really bother me what is taken out of the prize money, as long as I know up front what the deductions are. Then I can decide for myself if I want to participate in the tournament.

I wish Mike and Shannon well. I know that both tours will be successful. They both have great TDs.

Mike

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
I know it is inevitable that I will get slammed for this post so I want to make it clear that I am not intending to slam the GSBT
Mj

I think there are more discreet methods to obtain the details you sought than posting a public thread....like maybe a PM to Shannon?

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread should be deleted before anymore damage is done.I hope your sponcer's don't visit this site.

If any of you have any questions as to what is wrong with pool.I think you have your answer in the above thread.

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
there's only one way to solve all of this

a cagematch/boardgame/twister all around

Or we could just have Rachel and Monica kiss for 1 minute and all our problems would go away!

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I have never posted in a "Flame" thread previously - never wanted to incite any of the contributors but in this instance I feel I must.

This is also concerning "pro players" concern about ametuer events.

Background:

I have been playing on both tours for a couple years. I am by no means a champion and meet all the requirements for ameteur status.

Every oportunity I have to improve my game (Tournaments - open or ametuer) I will attempt. I appreciate both tours for what they are to me -an opportunity to gain experience and improve (& occassionally cash)

Both Shannon / Marge and Mike have been wonderful to me and I cannot thank them all enough for the experiences they have provided over the years.

I believe both intrested parties respect my opinion to a certain extent ( as I represent the typical player on both tours).

Please let this be the last post in this thread. I have a great respect for the effort all of you put forth to make your tours work and will continue to play in every event I am fortunate enough to attend.

Thank you and best of luck to both tours.