Gus Szamboti ~ 'in the raw'

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Incredible pictures. Many thanks for sharing them.

I know my vote doesn't count, but I hope they remain unfinished.

My wood-working hobby is guitars and ukuleles (all acoustic). C.F. Martin guitars from pre-1920 sell for $20+ thousand. The thought of an "unfinished" Martin guitar is too incredible to even put a price on.

I'd love to try making a cue but it's an entirely different process because pool cues are more 3-dimensional (round) whereas guitars are mostly 2-dimensional (flat surfaces). Plus, I don't want to invest in a lathe or other specialty tools that I have NO ROOM for in the shop!

Thanks again!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pics Dick. Really a nice assortment.

JV

I just looked at your website and was surprised to see an 8 point cue. Do you know if he made very many? The one he made for me was somewhat like the one you show pictured. It was 4 long and 4 short no veneers and ivory inlays. A bit like a Gina I had at the time and that was where I got the idea for the cue. The cue by the way was either $320.00 or $380.00 at the time I am not sure.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I just looked at your website and was surprised to see an 8 point cue. Do you know if he made very many? The one he made for me was somewhat like the one you show pictured. It was 4 long and 4 short no veneers and ivory inlays. A bit like a Gina I had at the time and that was where I got the idea for the cue. The cue by the way was either $320.00 or $380.00 at the time I am not sure.

That was early in his 8 point run I would imagine. I think he was getting 1k or better at the end. Barry would be able to better tell you.

The majority of Gus' 8 point cues are of this variety. Fourkings has a very nice one also. There are only two 8 point veneered cues that I know of and have seen. They are 4 over 4 design. 4 short veneered points done with a tall 4 point over the top in the center of those. One is in the third encyclopedia (center cue page 342) and I believe it is still owned by Lucky. Its a fancy cue. The other is a plain cue and I think it was the backup to the fancy cue in case something didn't work out.

Think the Adam AH-26 except made by Gus.

Hope that helps...

Joe

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omg

Thanks for sharing the pictures. IMHO, Gus made these for playing pool. Someone with the same last name should finish the effort. 30 years of sitting on the shelf is too long.

I am a little surprised at the number of responses from people who didn't know how Gus built cues. I thought the YouTube video of Don Criqui interviewing Gus was the best known video on that service. For those who were not aware, I am posting the link again. Except for Don's mispronunciation of Gus' last name (already discussed in AZB threads), it is really worth watching. Enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9EtqCqbUaE

Greg

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I don't see any posters mentioning his gluing up as squares. Does anyone today do it that way? I know Palmer did their blanks as squares as well. Szamboti made me an 8 point cue and he said he had a lot of trouble making it starting over twice. I was told this be someone who visited his shop that Gus had complained about the cue he had agreed to build for me. Gus never complained to me personaly though. I think the problem was probably because of the way he built his blanks, he had to use a different method to build an 8 pointer.

First thought I had actually.

I don't know anyone who splices the arms from square blanks. Its a rough enough turn with just the points boxed in on on a roughly turned arm already. Especially if you do deep and wide based points. Plus with figured woods, most want to see the 'close' to finished forarm for quality of figure and stability before spending the time cutting and gluing in the points.

But I suppose with the very straight grain maple popular in the day, there wasn't as many surprises to be concerned about. And I supoosed it gives you more freedom of center to keep your points even. IDK. I still wouldn't. ;)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the pictures. IMHO, Gus made these for playing pool. Someone with the same last name should finish the effort. 30 years of sitting on the shelf is too long.

I am a little surprised at the number of responses from people who didn't know how Gus built cues. I thought the YouTube video of Don Criqui interviewing Gus was the best known video on that service. For those who were not aware, I am posting the link again. Except for Don's mispronunciation of Gus' last name (already discussed in AZB threads), it is really worth watching. Enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9EtqCqbUaE

Greg
I have seen that clip numerous times. I always wonder if he miss spoke when he said, "Two man days" for the time frame to build a cue. That would convert to 16 hours and I don't think that would be possible for even a simple cue. I wish if someone can ask him, what his son would say about that comment, did he miss speak?

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I almost missed these. Hope you post again in the Cue Gallery where the cue nuts hang out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen that clip numerous times. I always wonder if he miss spoke when he said, "Two man days" for the time frame to build a cue. That would convert to 16 hours and I don't think that would be possible for even a simple cue. I wish if someone can ask him, what his son would say about that comment, did he miss speak?

Maybe 48 hours? Don't know the time a cue will take in actual work (as opposed to waiting for something to dry, stabilize, etc..)

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member

16 labor hours is not unreasonable for a simple cue.

But certainly not 16 in a row. ;)

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
were these blanks ever taken to completion by Barry? whats the back story on these photos?

very fascinating to see Gus blanks in this raw stage. awesome post, thanks!

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
whats the back story on these photos?

very fascinating to see Gus blanks in this raw stage. awesome post, thanks!

The blanks were purchased from Dale Patten 15 - 18 years ago.

Dale used Szamboti blanks in many of his cues.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Gus Szamboti ~ 'in the raw'

I've always heard that Gus was a machinist/tool and diemaker before making cues.

If this is the case,where did he work? Tommy D.