Gus Szamboti

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently acquired a Gus Szamboti. I know very little about the cue so any info you guys might have would help out a great deal. Thank you in advance.

Szam2.jpg

Szam3.jpg

Szam4.jpg

Szamboti.jpg

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Szamboti would be able to give you a wealth of knowledge.

If it was mine, I would send it to him for a refinish and have shafts made for it.

I think most would disagree, as it is only original once, but if they restore paintings in meusems I think getting the cue refinished to its original glory would be my approach.

You mileage may vary.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Nice pickup indeed. Is there something written in one of the boxes in the butt? Looks like it in a couple of the pics.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Szamboti would be able to give you a wealth of knowledge.

If it was mine, I would send it to him for a refinish and have shafts made for it.

I think most would disagree, as it is only original once, but if they restore paintings in meusems I think getting the cue refinished to its original glory would be my approach.

You mileage may vary.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

I agree, but Barry only as Ken pointed out. You also must get the LOA from Barry while you are at it. You will be pleased.
Nice cue.
phil

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no expert on Gus cues but I hung around a room in N.J. that Gus came to from time to time. The room had a lot of his cues. Probably 30 or so counting the owners collection and I never saw one even close to this design.
Is it really a Gus cue?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I'm no expert on Gus cues but I hung around a room in N.J. that Gus came to from time to time. The room had a lot of his cues. Probably 30 or so counting the owners collection and I never saw one even close to this design.
Is it really a Gus cue?

I would bet dollars to donuts it's a Gus cue. Without a doubt... Eight rotation sleeve with six slot ringwork is just one of the giveaways...

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it really a Gus cue?

" look in the blue book of cues...
" There are examples of Gus's work there-
"Just like this cue...
" which by the way,
is pretty rare with the barbell inlays...
"I would say this is some earlier work too"

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry called me this morning and he told me that it is a Gus. The design combination on the cue makes it rare and the amount of inlays makes it rarer. Barry answered my questions about the cue. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it really a Gus cue?

I spoke to Barry this morning and its definitely a Gus. Thats really good to know that you have not seen one with this design because that means "RARE"

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke to Barry this morning and its definitely a Gus. Thats really good to know that you have not seen one with this design because that means "RARE"

I saw a lot of them in Jersey and never saw one even close to this in design.
Really glad for you that it's a real one.I did have my doubts but if Barry says it's real then I'm a believer.
Just a side note I saw the first cue that Barry made from start to finish after Gus passed.He brought it to the room to show Tony who was a friend of Gus.
Never thought at the time to try and buy it.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
So are the inlays ivory with the heavy finish or maple? Just noticed the shaft rings. Hope you get it refinished & come back to show it off. That is a big cue & would look great cleaned up! Great cue. Thanks for sharing!

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I would've loved to see this cue in its original condition. It would be a hard decision for me on whether to have Barry completely restore it or not.

Congrats,
JimmyK

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
So are the inlays ivory with the heavy finish or maple? Just noticed the shaft rings. Hope you get it refinished & come back to show it off. That is a big cue & would look great cleaned up! Great cue. Thanks for sharing!

The inlays are ivory, not maple. The original finish has yellowed the inlays.

WP

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I would've loved to see this cue in its original condition. It would be a hard decision for me on whether to have Barry completely restore it or not.

Congrats,
JimmyK

Hi Jimmy,
If it were mine and If Barry told me he WOULD work on it, I would have it restored... It would only enhance the value IMO and rejuvenate the beauty of the work...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Agree with refinishing this magnificent cue, as it is in need of it. The original finish is lacquer, unlike today's clearcoat finishes. If I'm not mistaken, Barry S still does lacquer finishes, which is one of the reasons it should go back to him, if he would do it. I suspect others can do lacquer, but I would imagine that Barry has more experience with lacquer at the moment.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice pickup indeed. Is there something written in one of the boxes in the butt? Looks like it in a couple of the pics.

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if it is G. Szamboti, or the owner's name?