Hal Houle

eze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have spoke with hal several times,and i could not get the cueball to pivot where i could pocket the ball.
Hal had me set up a thin cut shot
to the right and then put my tip on the right side of the cueball then aim the center of my cueball to the left edge of ob and then pivot my tip back to center of cueball.Its like i was always shooting a 1/2
ball hit. I dont know if im doing the pivot thing wrong or the center to edge thing is wrong.Just wondering if
someone here could help me.Thanks

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yeah I can help you.

eze said:
I have spoke with hal several times,and i could not get the cueball to pivot where i could pocket the ball.
to the right and then put my tip on the right side of the cueball then aim the center of my cueball to the left edge of ob and then pivot my tip back to center of cueball.Its like i was always shooting a 1/2
ball hit. I dont know if im doing the pivot thing wrong or the center to edge thing is wrong.Just wondering if
someone here could help me.Thanks

DON'T USE that aiming method.

Pii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eze said:

You did what? :)
Read what you wrote and ask yourself why you want to make aiming so difficult?
And what's with all the pivoting?

Here's my method

look at shot
get down
shoot!
simple
then again I miss all the time but at least it doesn't confuse me.:D

MHarris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaden said:
DON'T USE that aiming method.

Actually, I found this to be the MOST accurate of the systems I learned from him a few years back, once I had worked with every system he showed me.

Eze, do you find yourself missing certain types of shots more than others? Are you missing by a hair, or by a significant amount?

How proficient are you in his other systems?

After knowing his first system very well, making the transition to the pivot system took some work, although the knowledge of that first system did shorten the curve for me quite a bit. It really forced me to work on my mechanics, and make sure I was really getting my cue to the right place every time.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think Hal's system is one of the most accurate ways to pocket any ball on the table--- even banks.

Pivoting from right to left w/ a right hander is unnatural....moving your hip and pivoting your body to maintain cue/eye alignment helps a lot for that particular shot.

Don't quit the system.... it's a super-strong system.

charlieb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is hard to learn that system over the phone. However, I'm sure that like his other systems it would be much easier in person.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
eze said:
someone here could help me.Thanks.

There are much more straightforward ways to aim. If you don't understand why you're doing it that way, then IMO it's overcomplicated.

pj
chgo

poolhound

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Hals house one day last year and he tought me his center to edge system.After a little while ,I got the hang of it and it really does work but its a center axis only system and i feel it restrics me in my position play so I dont use it much when I am playing.Although i do use it from time to time in practice just so I dont forget about the time I met a really great man who has devoted his life to this game ,,thanks Hal

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
There are much more straightforward ways to aim. If you don't understand why you're doing it that way, then IMO it's overcomplicated.

pj
chgo
It's called hitting the contact point or ghost ball.:D
You ever see pros when they aim their combos?
They point the tip to the contact point and hit that.

av84fun

Banned
JoeyInCali said:
It's called hitting the contact point or ghost ball.:D
You ever see pros when they aim their combos?
They point the tip to the contact point and hit that.

Not on cut combos and who needs an aiming system for straight in combos.

And I can't detect any such pivoting happening on the strokes of any major player. Efren is reported to have learned and adopted such a system but he wasn't using it as recently and the Desert Shootout.

Check out the stroke at about 2:15 of the clip below on a TOUGH down the rail cut. Zero evidence of any pivoting. His stroke starts out on a rail and stays on the rail with no pre-stroke pivoting either.

I RESPECT Mr. Houle for his dedication to the game and generosity in sharing his methods for FREE.

I'm just saying...

Regards,
Jim
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UdADGlAYito

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
av84fun said:
Not on cut combos and who needs an aiming system for straight in combos.

And I can't detect any such pivoting happening on the strokes of any major player. Efren is reported to have learned and adopted such a system but he wasn't using it as recently and the Desert Shootout.

Check out the stroke at about 2:15 of the clip below on a TOUGH down the rail cut. Zero evidence of any pivoting. His stroke starts out on a rail and stays on the rail with no pre-stroke pivoting either.

I RESPECT Mr. Houle for his dedication to the game and generosity in sharing his methods for FREE.

I'm just saying...

Regards,
Jim
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UdADGlAYito
It's pretty obvious he sends the cueball where it's suppose to be to pocket the balls.
No way in the world he's pointing that tip here and then there.

av84fun

Banned
JoeyInCali said:
It's pretty obvious he sends the cueball where it's suppose to be to pocket the balls.

Right. But haven't you seen reports of him studying the pivot system??

I know I have. Right here on this forum.

Regards,
Jim

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
av84fun said:
Right. But haven't you seen reports of him studying the pivot system??

I know I have. Right here on this forum.

Regards,
Jim
Jim, I know his best friend and road manager here. In fact, that's his Judd that Efren is using now.
Efren uses backhand english. That's why he turned down Predator shafts .

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Wanna try something strange? I don't use it but it does work.

Set up a long thin cut shot (see diagram)

CueTable Help

Now, line up on the shot as you usually would and when you get down in your stance and are aiming at the ball, using your minds eye, takes some coordination here, aim the center of your grip hand at the contact point on the object ball. It sounds weird but when you're down there you can get a pretty good judgement of if your grip is in line or not.

Someone showed that to me many years ago, and even though I don't use it, it has seemed to work whenever I tried it.
MULLY

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
^ Someone showed me that shot and told me to put inside spin and use the side of the ferrule to aim at the edge of the ob.

rukiddingme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal does not charge a penny for sharing his knowledge. He is truly a wonderful human being with an incredible sense of humor. His wife Sonny must have the patience of a saint putting up with all the players that call him at all times of the day and night for his systems.
There are quite a few "teachers" who give lessons that do not care to divulge their aiming techniques. They would rather talk about "ghostballs" and "feel". Keeping the aiming techniques a secret puts money in their pockets.
Hal is the real deal and it is a privilige to know him.
ruk

rukiddingme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:

Pivoting does not require you to run the tip allover the cue ball. You really have to watch closely. On a couple of the shots he actually pivots before going down on the ball. Those who know the system know what I'm talking about.
ruk