Happy birthday, Smorg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am lousy about keeping up with birthdays but right you are, Tampa Tubby Bob is still sorely missed, probably most deeply by just plain Jim!

Hu

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Smorg was one of a kind and well regarded here. Lost a lot of good guys, OHB comes to mind as well.

None of us are getting out alive so it’s best to enjoy the ride and stay calm. It’ll be alright!

RogerO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorg was a unique character. I got to meet and play with him at Rack's in Titusville at an RSB gathering. He entered the room with his arm in a sling, a patch on one eye, using a walker. His props during the game included a compass and something else, maybe a protractor. I got to meet up with him and play again during a trip to Tampa. He and Joey Aguzin were tight. I was fortunate to meet and play with Joey in NOLA. Both have supplied me with great memories.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Older is always better! However, reading the posts and threads from long ago on AZB it is easy to realize it really was better. We seem to be at the end of an era in many ways and the great old posters aren't being replaced with their equals. Not that we don't have some excellent posters now but the flavor and color isn't what it used to be.

Smorg, OldHasBeen, JoeyA, Dollar Bill, Most are gone never to return and I think JoeyA has mostly moved on. Joey I still see a handful of times a year, The rest of them and many more are hopefully convening in a wonderful pool hall in heaven. I wonder if you have to pay attention to the "No Gambling" signs up there?

Another great member seldom remembered was JohnnyT. Put a table on his back porch and soon he was hustling everybody that came by. Hustling contractors that came in the neighborhood was understandable. Johnny hustled his neighbor's contractors, even his own! I am not too sure about the wisdom of hustling his own mailman but I don't think Johnny could help himself!

Rest in Peace my friends, and Joey just get some rest!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago I was in Tampa and played Tubby at his local watering hole.

Looking back through my stuff this is what I found, most likely originally posted on RSB. Rest in Peace my Friend.

02 Mar 2005 23:00:06
lfigueroa

Smorg-a-Fried
I just want to thank Smorg for his gracious hospitality on my recent Tampa run.
Not only did he get the pool room opened up early for me (two days running), there was fresh coffee and donuts waiting. Yee ha!

For two days, we battled it out on different tables (I couldn't fade Smorg's favorite and insisted we switch). After all the woofing and kibitzing, it turns out Smorg is even money at 10-6. For anyone else heading thataway, don't believe the man's BS -- he dances around the table like Astaire (or at least like Ginger : -) and has a great touch.

Thanks, Smorg!

Lou Figueroa

Smorg's Response:

Oh, and Lou F., let me not forget Lou Figueroa. Lou F. gave me 10-6 and beat me 10 to -3, 10 to -2, 10 to -3 and a whole bunch of 'close' games of 10-0. Lou beat me SO badly, that I haven't played ANY pool of ANY kind for the past SIXTEEN MONTHS.

Doug

( I've forgotten everything that I ever thought I knew about pool and if the river cards keep breaking it off in my rectum, I might give up Poker TOO........ dammit ! )