Happy Veteran's Day !!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks to all the veterans. It is due to your efforts that our freedoms have been defended.

Interesting to note that Veterans Day used to be called Armistice Day, which was fitting as in the immediate aftermath of World War I, nearly all living American veterans were those that had served in World War I. Hence, celebrating the anniversary of the armistice sufficed to honor nearly all American veterans. When World War II changed this, the day was fittingly renamed Veterans Day.

To those who are serving presently, I wish you success in your missions and good health.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the big mistakes our country made is abolishing the draft. The military needs to be made up of a broad spectrum of folks...folks who return to civilian life sharing the values and challenges of democracy.

Thanks to all who have served.

Joe Johann
US Army Reserves

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the big mistakes our country made is abolishing the draft. The military needs to be made up of a broad spectrum of folks...folks who return to civilian life sharing the values and challenges of democracy.

Joe Johann
US Army Reserves
I graduated from high school in 1968 and did a tour in Vietnam. The vast majority of men my age found a way to avoid the draft. Problem with the draft is too many loopholes and it puts those drafted at a disadvantage when they re-enter civilian life because those who avoided the draft have the jobs and seniority.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To all Veteran members and Veteran members families. Thank you for your sacrifices and service for our Country

God bless,
Kat

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
52475EB2-A5B3-4F46-96F7-AFB629083808.jpeg

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I graduated from high school in 1968 and did a tour in Vietnam. The vast majority of men my age found a way to avoid the draft. Problem with the draft is too many loopholes and it puts those drafted at a disadvantage when they re-enter civilian life because those who avoided the draft have the jobs and seniority.
Class of ‘64/VN:’65-‘66. One way to avoid the draft: Join up! “The US Army builds men” (and turns naive optimists into hardened cynics). No civilian job is likely to give teenagers the same physical conditioning and appreciation for responsibility/reality, and, if you were one of the lucky few that actually received the career training that the recruiter promised, and also took advantage of the G.I. Bill’s financial assistance, you were well ahead of most fellow students in life. I have mixed feeling re: the draft. I wouldn’t wish the military hardships I experienced onto anyone, but in retrospect, wouldn’t trade the benefits either.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Class of ‘64/VN:’65-‘66. One way to avoid the draft: Join up! “The US Army builds men” (and turns naive optimists into hardened cynics). No civilian job is likely to give teenagers the same physical conditioning and appreciation for responsibility/reality, and, if you were one of the lucky few that actually received the career training that the recruiter promised, and also took advantage of the G.I. Bill’s financial assistance, you were well ahead of most fellow students in life. I have mixed feeling re: the draft. I wouldn’t wish the military hardships I experienced onto anyone, but in retrospect, wouldn’t trade the benefits either.
I don't regret it but it wasn't a rose garden. I was working on a railroad track crew and taking computer programming classes on the side before I joined the military. I had an associates degree in computer programming. Recruiter came to campus and promised me I would be a computer programmer if I joined. He lied. Four years later I got my honorable discharge and went back to work on the same railroad track crew while I waited to get hired by the government. Hired on with the government in October. First holiday was Veterans Day. I got drafted in to work on the holiday while the hippies and draft dodgers got the day off because they had seniority. I thought ain't this the shits.

Regrets are for losers and I don't regret being in the military but I don't have a dream eyed view of what it's like either.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Joe Johann
US Army Reserves
Exactly. And if not the military, which I think would do a lot of them good, then public service for two years.

Bob Jewett, E-5 USAF, RVN 1971-1972

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....One of the big mistakes our country made is abolishing the draft. The military needs to be made up of a broad spectrum of folks...folks who return to civilian life sharing the values and challenges of democracy....

On that point I agree. Being tossed into the ‘melting pot’ IS an enlightening experience, which if universally applied without exceptions, should likely be a requirement for elective office.
Few would knowingly volunteer though to be cannon fodder for lying politicians with hidden agendas. It’s a conundrum.