Has Dr Dave's example been addressed in this forum?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think even pros don't like shooting shot C in the diagram on a table with 4-and-a-touch pockets.
Actually i would like shooting that 20 degree cut most of those. Because that shot, without sidespin outer edge of shaft alignes with edge of object ball with stun shot perfectly. With fast speed follow or draw slightly to ball side(thicker). Of course different shaft diameter it is not exactly same but almost the same... Very little change.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm having trouble finding where this kind of "difference" is mentioned. Can you please identify a few threads where this question is covered?
It's never "covered" - CTE users say all 3 shots are made the same way; non-CTE users argue adjustments must be made. It never gets past that non-communication.

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's never "covered" - CTE users say all 3 shots are made the same way; non-CTE users argue adjustments must be made. It never gets past that non-communication.

pj
chgo
JB just recorded over 7 hours in two youtubes trying to rebut what the Shortstop (Bob Keller, I think) said about aiming systems. I skimmed the 7 hours in about 15 minutes. 7 hours and that question still has never been answered beyond shouting "Rotating spheres"! and "Round barn"!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
JB just recorded over 7 hours in two youtubes trying to rebut what the Shortstop (Bob Keller, I think) said about aiming systems. I skimmed the 7 hours in about 15 minutes. 7 hours and that question still has never been answered beyond shouting "Rotating spheres"! and "Round barn"!
lol

20+ years by my count.

pj
chgo

tomatoshooter

lol

20+ years by my count.

pj
chgo
I'm assuming the system works for some people, right? I haven't tried it much, so I can't exactly say it doesn't work, although the explanations never really satisfied me. Do any pros say they use an aiming system? The only one I've heard talk about aiming is Niels Feijen, who said he used ghost ball some but primarily aims by feel when using sidespin.

Personally, for me to visually measure an angle, relate that to a particular alignment, and then shoot? By that time I can see the shot and shoot the shot. I'm pretty much using a variation of ghost ball, and then compensating for spin.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
He said he was going to make it short in the second video.
I watched some but not nearly 15 minutes.
Shortstop has some great videos.
And just like Niels Feijen, Tor Lowry, Ralph Eckert and Hal Mix, they don't teach fancy aiming .

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said he was going to make it short in the second video.
I watched some but not nearly 15 minutes.
Shortstop has some great videos.
And just like Niels Feijen, Tor Lowry, Ralph Eckert and Hal Mix, they don't teach fancy aiming .
I think the net effect of those videos was increased exposure to Keller.

Thresh

A small nit on this video. At 3:45 when he is showing contact-induced throw, he should show that the object ball has induced spin. You cannot have throw without object ball side spin. In fact, they are directly proportional.
Doesn't cling/skid throw the object ball and the object usually doesn't have spin during this short moment? Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doesn't cling/skid throw the object ball and the object usually doesn't have spin during this short moment? Maybe I'm reading this wrong?
Cling/skid is very different from throw. They are the same kind of effect but skid is much larger probably due to chalk at the contact point.

The only way for the cue ball to send the object ball other than along the ideal line of centers (cue ball to object ball line at the instant of contact), is for the surface of the cue ball to rub sideways on the object ball. That has two effects. The first is throw (or skid, if the contact is bad). The second is that the object ball will have side spin. More throw, more sidespin. The same force that angles the object ball off-line will put side spin on it.

Thresh

Cling/skid is very different from throw. They are the same kind of effect but skid is much larger probably due to chalk at the contact point.

The only way for the cue ball to send the object ball other than along the ideal line of centers (cue ball to object ball line at the instant of contact), is for the surface of the cue ball to rub sideways on the object ball. That has two effects. The first is throw (or skid, if the contact is bad). The second is that the object ball will have side spin. More throw, more sidespin. The same force that angles the object ball off-line will put side spin on it.
Thanks for the clarification Bob. I suspected I was looking at the issue incorrectly and also mixing up the vocabulary.