Help Identifying GC & Need Skirts

junksecret

Certified Fish
Silver Member
A friend of mine just bought a new house that came with a nice Brunswick Gold Crown table. The table has 2 issues. First, it has a ball return tray mounted but has drop pockets and second it has no skirts. My friend says the seller left the hardware to attach the returns but I haven't seen it. Here are a few pics of the table:

pt1.JPG

pt2.JPG

pt3.JPG

pt4.JPG

pt5.JPG

So, my questions are, is this a GC1,2,3,4,5? and will skirts from any GC fit it? I assume the skirts are different depending on drop pockets or returns? He's less concerned about the returns working and more concerned about the cosmetics of the table (he can't play a lick)...:)

Thanks for any advice or info on how best to proceed.

Joe

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
That appears to be a GC4 , look underneath and you should see 22 slate levelers built into the frame on the GC4. Outside shot its a GC5 but I don't think so. Skirts? I have no idea what to do there, I don't think others will match up correctly, definateley the corners will be a little different..

Last edited:

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Wow thats weird that the skirts are missing on a table that looks like its brand new.

The ball returns should be easy to find. the skirts on the other hand he could buy a new set from brunswick but I'm sure that would be more expensive than going the used route

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Is that a deer on the cue in the rack?

I like your friends thinking....practice slots and pool in one room!
And maybe you can get Golden West (1-800-423-5702) to build some new blinds, or contact Ken Hash (ClassicBilliards 410-256-8388)to see if he has anything. Of course Brunswick would be my first choice to try (1-800-336-8764)

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess, is that the ball return was dropping balls on that nice hardwood floor and the The original owner couldn't fix it, so they either hired a hack (or did a DIY job) who put in the plastic pockets and loose cloth. After that they found that either the skirts wouldn't fit over the new pockets, or they had lost the mounting hardware. The skirts then became shelving in the garage.

If replacement skirts can't be found at a reasonable price, a good cabinet maker could probably fabricate a set. If the ball return is reinstalled, a rug underneath would be a good idea.

Nice low-mileage table, though.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Those are factory pockets and new blinds will fit properly. They mybe tried to move it one piece awhile ago hence no blinds... The table looks great give Brunswick a call or kc cues on ebay he imports dead perfect gold crown 4 and all parts are supposed to be tottaly interchangeable. I havnt tried or looked close at one of his tables but the pictures look great for an import table. If you can't find his number I got it just pm me when I get home from work I'll send it to you.

Craig

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Check the attic and other storage areas in the house for the returns and blinds. If not there check with the nearest Brunswick dealer who may have done the work. I suspect the former owner may have been in a wheel chair. Blinds removed to avoid scratching and get closer to table, pockets changed to allow for easier access to balls. Just a guess.

junksecret

Certified Fish
Silver Member
Wow, what a great crew!

You guys are the best, thanks for all the info and insight. As for the whereabouts of the skirts...unknown. The guy wasn't in a wheelchair although someone should put him in one for "losing" the skirts (whatever that means).....:)

Anyway, I've got a line on some GC4 skirts and I guess my buddy doesn't care if the returns are replaced or if it just ends up with the drop pockets, so I'm finding him skirts that will fit the table with the ball return in case later someone wants a working return.

As for the loose cloth, I don't think anybody that can run 2 balls will ever play on it (unless I do, I might run few).

Again, thanks to all for the kind replies.

Joe

DJBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful table. I agree with your approach I would replace skirts and not the ball return.

ballafish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is a thought on your missing blinds

If you found them from any dealer you will spend big bucks. Go to your local pool hall that has gold crowns like yours. ask the owner if you could take pictures and measurements. Find a friend or finish cabinet maker and just see if it would be possible to build your own. you may have to paint them black to match your base but a good quality 5/8 finished plywood might work. I'm a hack at this sort of thing but it might not be overwhelming to a pro. Contact a few of the mechanics on this site you might get lucky and find one in your area that has done this sort of thing. Well worth the investment.

Good luck!