~ Help me grow up. . . Looking to buy my first custom cue ~

cuejunkie

"In the Shadows"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Update:
A note to all:

I am always in the market for a great looking cue... but at least for the moment, I am going to try to enjoy the cues which I have acquired up to this point :D

Most everyone I've encountered on here have been "top-shelf" and after only 3... going on 4 months now... I have grown quite fond of this site.
SO MANY people here are eager-and-willing to help out others and MANY have already helped ME out personally :grin:

When I created this thread last March (seems like forever ago...) I had originally intended on setting my sights on having a "custom-to-me" cue made.

However, though I still intend on having a cue made to my specs, it seems that with all the great deals and offers being made here, that my custom cue journey has been temporarily "sidetracked"

While I still haven't experienced the process of ordering my first "truly custom" cue...
... at least I have compiled quite a list of great cuemakers & cuebuilders since I've joined AZB.

Perhaps before the end of this year (hopefully sooner) I will find the cuemaker/builder that would be willing to work with me.

Anyhow, Thanks SO MUCH to AZB!!!
:thumbup:

Original thread: Hi all,
I am ready to take that scary :confused: first step into pool adulthood...
...to venture out beyond the land of mass production to find my first custom cue.
Many of you can probably relate to, and remember how special (but also agonizing)
that moment was when you decided to get your very first custom cue.
This is just my first step on what i hope will be a long journey here on azbilliards
So i'm hoping that people here can help me out and get me started off right!
Looking for good quality and value... so any offers or suggestions are welcome.
budget- 400 (but will take a hammer to miss piggy for the right cue)

Thanks to all who helped me and hope to chat again soon, -Marlo

Last edited:

LPCUSTOMCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
180   0   0
Welcome to AZ...

You can look at some of my work by clicking the colored link below.

I also have this cue nearly completed. (click the link)
LP Custom Cue #66 For Sale

You can email me or PM me if you have any questions.

Lee
LP Custom Cues

Last edited:

cuejunkie

"In the Shadows"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
happy to be here

Thank you Lee for quick response to my post. I'll check out the link right now...

tommygunn78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
custom cue

welcome to AZ!!! Here is a heck of a deal greg kucharski 6 point wrapless cue. selling it for half it value nose is bubinga with large holly points with 2 veneers small points are ebony with three veneers and handle is ebony with 24 ivory inlays. shaft is 13mm asking 850

Attachments

• Wrapless GK 001.jpg
    Wrapless GK 001.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 623
  • Wrapless GK 002.jpg
    Wrapless GK 002.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 612
  • Wrapless GK 003.jpg
    Wrapless GK 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 613
  • Wrapless GK 004.jpg
    Wrapless GK 004.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 612
  • Wrapless GK 005.jpg
    Wrapless GK 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:

cuejunkie

"In the Shadows"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
wish i had more funds to spend...

so many great cues. all are absolutely impressive!
A bit outside of my budget though (which i seem to have forgotten to include)

I would like to keep it under 400 but willing to take a hammer to miss piggy for the right cue ;)

thanks to all so far for all the great offers/suggestions. keep 'em coming...

Last edited:

steadyeddy

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a perfect conditio scho sp 1407 for sale. it has 2 shafts, one is unplayed with it also has a leather wrap. google schon sp 1407 and u can see what it looks like.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi all,
...to venture out beyond the land of mass production to find my first custom cue.

Many of you can probably relate to, and remember how special (but also agonizing)

This is just my first step on what i hope will be a long journey here on azbilliards

No preferences yet, just looking for good quality and good value... so any offers or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, -Marlo

P.S. ~ My very first post here so be gentle, lol :wink:

Do you have a sense of what you're looking for? There are playability factors (e.g., hit, weight, taper, balance, wrap, wood combinations, etc.) and there are aesthetic factors (i.e., how fancy?). And your budget is an overarching factor as well.

If you have no idea, honestly your best bet may be to try out as many cues as you can until you find the kind of hit (and/or look) that you're looking for. If you're going to the Super Billiards Expo in PA in a couple of weeks that will be a great place to sample all sorts of custom cues.

If you do have a general idea of what you're looking for, there are a lot of great deals here on the For Sale forum. It's a buyer's market. Also custom cues tend to hold their resale value better than production cues (still varies by maker, though), so if you buy one and don't like it, you can generally re-sell it pretty easily.

Lastly, you could always contact a cuemaker and have one built to your specs. A number of fine cuemakers post here. I'm eagerly awaiting my cue from Lee of LP Customs, for one.

Edit: Just saw your budget. For ~$400 I would go with a sneaky pete. Names that come to mind are Andy Gilbert jump/breaks, Bob Frey (I own one of each and they're both great playing cues), Varney, LP conversions. That Tim Scruggs sneaky pete that BamaCues posted is an awesome price for a Scruggs too.

Last edited:

Junior1228

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I must say this might just be the best deal you are going to get. This cue will hold it's value, play great, and there is almost always someone looking to buy these if you don't like it for whatever reason.

Whatever you choose you came to the right place.

Good Luck
Junior

Tim Scruggs...close to your budget, and you will never lose money on it...superb player...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=177627

Joe

cuejunkie

"In the Shadows"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i am absolutely blown away with just how helpful people are here on azbilliards!!!

first off... everyone here has been such a great help to me!!

i knew when i set my heart on buying myself my first custom cue that it wasn't going to be an easy decision...
...but thanks to all the input, advice, and offers submitted so far, i am slowly getting a clearer picture of what i want in my first custom cue.

i will edit my original post here and there to include qualities i would like in a custom cue.

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DONT buy ASAP, take your time and look around and see what you like. Some cuemakers you can design your own cue for that price. See what woods you like and the combos, etc. and learn what style you want before you buy one. Just browse the for sale section and cue gallery and check out which ones you like looks wise.

Then you can try out different cues with different pin sizes to decide which one you like better.

Then you have something to look for, looks wise and pin wise. Each pin shoots different IMO.

As for my recommendation, go PM Jim Lee of J&D Customs on here. Makes a great stiff hitting cue. For the price they are built very well and shoot very well. I'm an owner of one myself with one on the way.

Point is, just look around at all the suggestions and see what YOU like, not everyone else;)

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Rating - 98.9%
88   1   0
I got cues ..

I have some Murrells Break The Ms piggy open..
The 3rd and 4th cue .In that range ..
pm me for other cues..

Attachments

• IMAG0651.jpg
    IMAG0651.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 245

randyg00

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all,

Looking for good quality and value... so any offers or suggestions are welcome.

budget- 400 (but will take a hammer to miss piggy for the right cue)

Thanks, -Marlo

P.S. ~ My very first post here so be gentle, lol :wink:
I have a break stick i have for sale if u are interested

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
With that budget I'd buy a JOEY cue, MasonH, Scruggs Sneaky. All will hold their value when the time to trade up comes.

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
good day and welcome to the custom cue world. you will definitely have many options that you will be overwhelmed and find it hard to choose. there are a lot of very good cuemakers and cues available for you to choose from. just take your time, and i'm sure you fill find one that suits your preference.

if i may, i would like to give you one option.

please visit www.bebotbautistacues.synthasite.com maybe you might interest yourself in a true custom where you can specify every specs and details to suit your very own preference. we can make one for you which will definitely be within your budget, including shipping via FedEx.

or, if you don't want to wait for a cue, here's one available:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=176398