Help Needed with "Perfection" Stats!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
2001 US 9 Ball Open..........Deuel 11 (.921) Immonen 0 (.571)

Mosconi 526 run !!!!!

Good post and I was going to suggest that match myself and i'd like to add that Corey was the master of the soft break using the Sardo rack and that match was the end of the really soft break. The following year Barry changed the rules to where at least 3 balls had to pass the side pockets (or be pocketed) on the break for it to be a legal break. The year Corey won this rule was not in effect and he had the break down pat making the one in the side consistently and playing shape for a shot. Many of the racks also left a combination on the nine ball with the super soft break and the Sardo rack.

James

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Trigger - all of this is fantastic and impressive nad all that, however, I must mention I broke and ran two racks tonight that were perfect! :thumbup: Please send me a PM for more details...

Chris

Chris, I'm working on a PM NOW to gather the details from ya! ;)

Thanks everyone - keep the info coming, and if you happen to have links to the event and/or dates, that would be very helpful. My research skills are not that good nor do I have a lot of free time so any extra digging would be SO appreciated!

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
How about Mike Sigel's 150 out in the US OPEN 14.1 in the early 90's against Mike Zuglan after Zuglan 's game opening break, in which M.Z. said right after it was over "that was the second time he did that to me, why does he always have to play perfect against me".

This is a really good example, since there were no safeties except the opening break. Sigel won the lag, Zuglan made a pretty decent break, and Sigel drilled a tough table-length shot at 100 mph, forced the CB into the stack, and ran 150 balls for the win.

-Andrew

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Not sure this is quite what they want, but July 11,2004, 9' Gold Crown, won a game of 9 ball in two shots with all balls being pocketed except the cb. One of those shots was the break.

Neil,

That's like getting a hole in one on a par 5!

Freaky.

Chris

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Not sure this is quite what they want, but July 11,2004, 9' Gold Crown, won a game of 9 ball in two shots with all balls being pocketed except the cb. One of those shots was the break.

I'm not sure, but this might be a record for the game of 9 ball. I've never heard of a game where all of the balls were pocketed with only one shot after the break.......

James

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I think that you are correct. 13 instead of 11.

I also recall that Bustamante, after losing that set asked Johnny to double up the bet... Johnny had just won 13 in a row and 'declined' the bet.

Archer ran 13 i believe...and busta did it also....they both ran 13 if I'm not mistaken...there was two sets played. They both signed the diamond table it was played on and i believe it was for sale on ebay quite a few years back.

-Grey Ghost-

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from the obvious choice of contacting Accu-Stats directly, I heard (read) once someone said they saw a pro play a "perfect tournament" (might have been Earl?) - but I can't remember the details.

I think you have to mention John Schmidt's high runs in 14.1 as well.

What runs, the ones in his house? I had a run of 500 this morning and stopped! I had 25 on the table beside it and felt I could beat the 500.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,

ESPN Magazine contacted me for some stats they are inquiring about for a future issue. I need your help!

"We are compiling data for an issue that deals with perfection in sports. Would you have a source we can use or data you can provide that comprises anything that could be considered “perfection” in any pool and billiards competition? We can use consecutive victories, shutouts, perfect scores, unbeaten streaks in a season or career, etc., throughout all levels of competition."

I have heard of SOME things, but I need details and specifics, and I don't know where else to find them than coming to you all to ask for your help.

Thank you in advance!!

Tell them to look at the career of Stephen Hendry in snooker. I think he went 2 years or something and didn't lose a match, won the same event so many years in a row that they gave him the trophy.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think this was in dannys book........

"I think that might be mosconis greatest run: 1,748 times he stalled untill someone else picked up the tab."

thats a pretty strong record right there lol;):thumbup:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Exactly, yes! I bet they want dates of the "perfections" too, so they can verify the info.

Thanks to those who have already provided info!

The Sigel, 30 game straight-winning streak, 10 ball, was in NY at the recent Empire State 10 ball cahmpionship, by the Ozone Predator and Seminole Pro Tours on the weekend of Sept. 4-5 at Raxx Billiards.

http://www.predator9balltour.com/

Eric

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member

Sounds amazing, yet, cryptic. What happened?

Eric

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Crane v. Balsis 1966 US Straight Pool Championship

Someone has to have mentioned this already, I'm sure, but Irving Crane ran 150 and out on Joe Balsis in Chicago in the final of the 1966 Straight Pool Championship. I believe it was the only time it ever was done. The entire match is available in a bunch of clips on Youtube. Contact Mr. Ursitti for more details.

Ron F

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"3" 1000's

I believe he is the only player to play a perfect match in the finals of a major event. I can't remember which one and my Google fu failed me.
Actually, there are three 1000's in Accu-Stats history. Wade Crane vs.Buddy Hall,(bad news here is that it wasn't a video taped tournament) Efren Reyes vs. Jimmy Wetch, (D.C.C.) Mika Immonen at D.C.C.. Though, I'm not sure who Immonen's victim was. Both of the recorded matches are still available from Accu-Stats.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine vote goes to Earl breaking and running 11 games of 9 ball for for the million dollar prize (which turned out to be bogus).

It's staggering to think someone can do that on command on a 9' table, documented and in public. This is a good story too - I think exactly what they're looking for.

Chris

I agree with this. This will draw attention BIG TIME.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Mine vote goes to Earl breaking and running 11 games of 9 ball for for the million dollar prize (which turned out to be bogus).

It's staggering to think someone can do that on command on a 9' table, documented and in public. This is a good story too - I think exactly what they're looking for.

Chris

Yes this would be great for readers of ESPN mag. I have heard bits and pieces of what happened that day. I beleive it was a tournament that CJ was hosting. If CJ is still in Texas maybe Trig can get in touch with him !
If he has moved it still maybe easier for Trig to find him being from the same area.
Good luck tracking this story and the facts of it. It definately one for the history books ! :cool:

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes this would be great for readers of ESPN mag. I have heard bits and pieces of what happened that day. I beleive it was a tournament that CJ was hosting. If CJ is still in Texas maybe Trig can get in touch with him !
If he has moved it still maybe easier for Trig to find him being from the same area.
Good luck tracking this story and the facts of it. It definately one for the history books ! :cool:

It was in Dallas at CJ's pool room. I would not advise anyone to ask CJ about it and if they insist on asking him, I would advise they either do it on the phone or at least be an arms length distance from him when asking.

As for the ESPN article, I think Johnny Archer getting player of the decade two decades in a row is noteworthy.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
It was in Dallas at CJ's pool room. I would not advise anyone to ask CJ about it and if they insist on asking him, I would advise they either do it on the phone or at least be an arms length distance from him when asking.

As for the ESPN article, I think Johnny Archer getting player of the decade two decades in a row is noteworthy.

We need some stats on Allison Fisher, too - she's been female player of the decade before, right? I wonder how many tournaments in a row she's won?

As for CJ - When Johnny and Earl came to Dallas about a year or so ago for the Teaching School and Exhibition, CJ showed up. CJ mentioned he was working on a documentary about Earl's run. He didn't seem upset. But I was still arms length away when they were all talking about it with each other. ;)

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure, but this might be a record for the game of 9 ball. I've never heard of a game where all of the balls were pocketed with only one shot after the break.......

James

I made 1-8 on the break, so the next shot was an easy one. The 9 stayed right near the spot it's racked at, and I was straight in to the corner on it.:D

My opponent about crapped himself, and told me to do it again. I told him "Sorry, I only do that shot once every 50 years, and I doubt I'm going to make it to 100!"

Did it one week exactly before my 50th birthday. Yeah, it was a fluke, but how many people can say they made 8 balls on the break??

It happened at Anazeh Sands Billiards, 7-11-04, 9' Gold Crown. My opponent at the time is now dead. But SDE on here knows about it. It was the talk of the room for a while.:grin:

And yes, it was me that marked 8 in that poll on how many balls have you made on the break in 9 ball.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I made 1-8 on the break, so the next shot was an easy one. The 9 stayed right near the spot it's racked at, and I was straight in to the corner on it.:D

My opponent about crapped himself, and told me to do it again. I told him "Sorry, I only do that shot once every 50 years, and I doubt I'm going to make it to 100!"

Did it one week exactly before my 50th birthday. Yeah, it was a fluke, but how many people can say they made 8 balls on the break??

It happened at Anazeh Sands Billiards, 7-11-04, 9' Gold Crown. My opponent at the time is now dead. But SDE on here knows about it. It was the talk of the room for a while.:grin:

And yes, it was me that marked 8 in that poll on how many balls have you made on the break in 9 ball.

Neil....I think im going to need the rainbow.....hell i might just have to stick to one hole if we ever get together with the way your making balls!!!! lol

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil....I think im going to need the rainbow.....hell i might just have to stick to one hole if we ever get together with the way your making balls!!!! lol

Now, now, I've done it ONCE in my lifetime, and I'm 56. Some people win the lottery, me.....I make 8 balls on the break and don't get a dime for it.:( (would much rather win the lottery!:D)

I can still make some great shots, but my drive isn't there anymore, so, before long I screw up something.:embarrassed2: Knowledge is still there.... at least the parts I remember;). Don't really remember what I have forgotten, so I don't know how much that actually is.;)

I get the breaks, ball in hand, and one "old timers screwup do-over", you can have the 5.;):D