Help with value of Tim Scruggs cue

Hey I'm new to this forum and wet behind the ears so bare with me people. I think I over paid slightly on this cue but I love it and that's all that matters really. Just wanted to know if it was a good buy though. I know it will go up in value as time marches on but just wanted other people's opinions. The things that made me buy was ivory big pin 3/8 x 10 joint scruggs

TIM SCRUGGS CUSTOM CUE​

classic Scruggs cue with ivory joint and a big pin which is relatively rare on his early made cues, this cue has been refinished and is in very good condition but not perfect...
  • Early made big pin
  • Ivory sleeved joint
  • Birdseye Maple forearm
  • 4 Sharp Ebony points
  • 4 Veneers of black, maple, gray & maple
  • Ebony butt sleeve
  • Black joint collars with small squared maple billet ringwork at the joint and both shafts
  • White with green specs Irish linen wrap
  • 1.5" Traditional Delrin butt cap with engraved early TS logo
  • Butt is 29" & 15.57oz
  • Shaft 1 is 29" & 3.55oz
  • Ferrule 1 is ivory & 12.5mm
  • Shaft 2 is 29" & 3.45oz
  • Ferrule 2 is ivory & 12.4mm
$2,499.00

Want to know what u guys think the value is and I was gonna change the wrap but if that is the original wrap I should just leave it all original right?

I think it's worth every penny but please comment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-231520_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231520_Chrome.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Screenshot_20211114-231419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231419_Chrome.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 408
  • Screenshot_20211114-231408_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231408_Chrome.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 346
  • Screenshot_20211114-231355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231355_Chrome.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot_20211114-231342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231342_Chrome.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 329
  • Screenshot_20211114-231320_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231320_Chrome.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Screenshot_20211114-231303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231303_Chrome.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot_20211114-231249_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-231249_Chrome.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 364

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a nice looking players design which means it was never intended to be flashy but instead just simple & handsome.

The veneers are somewhat tame so curbside appeal is up to the individual beholder. Big pin flat ivory joints are always
going to be in demand, especially when it was made by Tim Scruggs. The asking price seems okay but not great and
might be a few hundred dollars high but then again, maybe not. I hesitate because there are fewer of these TS cues
coming up for sale nowadays. If it was a level 4 design TS cue, it would sell in the low 3k range. Someone like Nick
Serdula could offer a more expert opinion about this cue. Regardless, IMO, it would sell for more than what you paid
in the future but this style design is going to be limited in how much it will appreciate in contrast with a fancy design.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, about the wrap, leave it as it. The condition does not warrant changing it
and it looks to be original, at least for the period that Tim was using this logo.

Thanks buddy. Ya I love that it's simple n sneaky but not to sneaky...Ill prolly never sell and hand it down to my son when I can't lift a stick anymore. That being said I'm really on the fence about the wrap. If I don't plan on reselling ever I was gonna put a dark blue shark skin wrap from Castillo.
(Attached a pic) I still feel it would keep the stick stealthy n sneaky not flashy. Or maybe this green ( pic attached ) Lets say I did decide to get a leather wrap. Can ya give me your option on the type of leather and color that would fit well with this sticks DNA 🧬. Thanks again for the response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-132536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-132536_Chrome.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20211115-014943_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-014943_Chrome.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 65

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To me you did over pay by just a little
But if you have a Q you really like and paid a few hundred dollars extra it was worth it plus you’ll never get hurt badly if you decide to resell it

Thanks for the feedback. Ya the guy selling it needed to make his cut because he sell and makes cues for a living so I understand there was a premium but it's worth it because I got the peace of mind knowing that a custom cue maker looked the cue over before he put his name on the line. Plus if someone else got it B4 me that sting woulda hurt alot more then the premium lol

Reactions: bbb

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks buddy. Ya I love that it's simple n sneaky but not to sneaky...Ill prolly never sell and hand it down to my son when I can't lift a stick anymore. That being said I'm really on the fence about the wrap. If I don't plan on reselling ever I was gonna put a dark blue shark skin wrap from Castillo.
(Attached a pic) I still feel it would keep the stick stealthy n sneaky not flashy. Or maybe this green ( pic attached ) Lets say I did decide to get a leather wrap. Can ya give me your option on the type of leather and color that would fit well with this sticks DNA 🧬. Thanks again for the response
Linen has a deeper chanel than leather, so your handle would need to be built up for the leather to work.

I would only modify a cue for playability. My opinion

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful cue! Congratulations! You said it was worth every penny for you. IMO, that is that best standard for purchasing a cue.

Linen is my preferred wrap. There is no way that I would replace what you have. To me, it looks great with the joint and the butt cap.

Have fun with it.

Rusty in Montana

What a crumby looking cue with a extra shaft pm me for my address so you can send it my direction ha ha just messing around with you !
I honestly don't have a good idea on the value of your cue but if you like the feel and hit of it that's all that matters and it would be a wonderful hand me down to your son at some point in time a great family heirloom in the making !

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Linen has a deeper chanel than leather, so your handle would need to be built up for the leather to work.

I would only modify a cue for playability. My opinion
I thought it was the other way around, that the cut for leather was deeper?
I had the leather removed from my Lucasi and replaced with linen and it is now is a smaller diameter which is just fine for me.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well did you haggle with seller on their price, or just pay what they wanted❓

Because you had to have a Scruggs❓

Scruggs do not come up frequently, because they are keepers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey I'm new to this forum and wet behind the ears so bare with me people. I think I over paid slightly on this cue but I love it and that's all that matters really. Just wanted to know if it was a good buy though. I know it will go up in value as time marches on but just wanted other people's opinions. The things that made me buy was ivory big pin 3/8 x 10 joint scruggs

TIM SCRUGGS CUSTOM CUE​

classic Scruggs cue with ivory joint and a big pin which is relatively rare on his early made cues, this cue has been refinished and is in very good condition but not perfect...
  • Early made big pin
  • Ivory sleeved joint
  • Birdseye Maple forearm
  • 4 Sharp Ebony points
  • Ebony butt sleeve
  • Black joint collars with small squared maple billet ringwork at the joint and both shafts
  • Butt is 29" & 15.57oz
$2,499.00

Want to know what u guys think the value is and I was gonna change the wrap but if that is the original wrap I should just leave it all original right?

Saw that on Bill's site. Nice classic cue. Bill always has nice stuff.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That cue should be a helluva player. I definitely would not change the wrap.
I would bat an eye paying a little extra for that cue, considering it ain't warped and don't rattle.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw that on Bill's site. Nice classic cue. Bill always has nice stuff.
He always gets premium money for premium cues.

If you put leather on that cue, it will be devalued because it's not Scruggs work.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TIM SCRUGGS CUSTOM CUE​

• Early made big pin
  • Ivory sleeved joint
  • Birdseye Maple forearm
  • 4 Sharp Ebony points
  • Ebony butt sleeve
  • Butt is 29" & 15.57oz
$2,499.00

Leave it alone.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer white with green spec linen on almost any cue - just my choice, I do not like playing with a leather wrap. I would also advise leaving it unless you love to play with leather. Leather wraps have the deeper channel cut, they do not normally build up a removed linen wrap handle to accommodate a replacement leather wrap handle from my experience. Measrureman is correct , not sure where Welder 84 got his info on replacing linen with leather, usually the opposite is what is more challenging.

Great playing cues- if it is all straight and solid, with the quality refinish you should be OK on the price paid - I personally don't get crazy on a 10% swing in price paid vs, value if I really like a cue.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t be concerned in the slightest about which I addressed in my original post. At most it’d only be
two to three hundred dollars but the thing that bolsters the cue’s value is scarcity. You just do not see
cues like this come along often versus the number of piloted steel joints Tim produced. About the wrap,
I encourage you to keep it because this is how the cue was made to look. Someone didn’t custom order
this cue. Tim made it to look like a cue should for that period in his cue making. You can take a damp
cloth and wipe the wrap in circular motion to remove surface dirt and hand oils. Use a warm damp cloth
and do it twice. Then take a clean towel and dry the wrap using circular motions. Use a white towel and
you’d see the discoloration on the towel from the dirt removed. Do not use hot air to dry the linen. Instead
allow the wrap to dry by additional towel drying it always using a circular motion. This will cause the fiber
strands in the flax to lift so now the important last step is burnishing the wrap. You do that using a heavy or
thick round glass object. I emphasize the thickness because I’ve broken thin glasses in my hand from using
too much pressure. You start with short strokes applying as much pressure as possible rubbing the wrap. It
is called glass burnishing. At the pool hall, I’d use a beer mug or even a pint beer glass. Just make sure it is
clean and dry. Lay the cue butt on a flat surface on top of a thick towel. Hold the butt firmly with one hand &
start rubbing the wrap fast and hard. Do the wrap in small sections always rotating it along the way. After you
have done the whole wrap, repeat the process but extend the area size. This time burnish the bottom half and
make sure you turn the wrap. Then do the top half. Okay great…this was prepping the wrap only. Now burnish
the wrap pressing as hard and fast as possible. Your arm should tire…..you should have to take a break and
start again. You will see the sheen form on the linen, the fibers will disappear from laying flat again and the
wrap will have a smooth feel. I burnish my wraps at the first sign of any fiber strands being felt by gripping fingers.
The majority of my ivory joint cues have cortland linen wraps which is on purpose since it’s my all time favorite.
Even my first custom made back in 1985 uses Cortland Linen. I think it is the best pool wrap but that’s my opinion.

Attachments

• 1035ABC8-FF78-490C-802C-A35C906C13D1.jpeg
    1035ABC8-FF78-490C-802C-A35C906C13D1.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DE6D716F-7B56-41ED-9065-CEAE31345073.jpeg
    DE6D716F-7B56-41ED-9065-CEAE31345073.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'd of haggled, but not all that much. The cue will not lose value in the upcoming years.