Here we go again - Another bad seller thread

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I am still trying to get this resolved, but the seller doesn't seem to care or want to do anything to get things right. I thought I would ask the forum what I should do, or what is appropriate.

So I bought a very nice cue from a user on the forum, and it was advertised as having a 3/8x10 pin. When I purchased the cue, I also purchased a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft to fit the cue. I got the shaft a couple of days after the cue came, and low and behold the shaft won't thread at all. So I went back to the seller and told them and asked if it was possible if it was a 3/8x11 thread. He replied that he has no reason to believe that it is anything other than a 3/8x10.

I then went to the cuemaker who is a forum member and asked him what pin was on that cue. He replied that it was a 3/8x11. I showed that to the seller and thats when things went sour. First he was mad that I said he was adamant (did say he had no reason to believe it wasnt as described) about the pin size.

He told me basically that I should own up to the fact that I bought the cue, and he can't guarantee another shaft will fit. He even went so far as to say that he was selling the cue with matching shafts, and the rest is my problem. I should "own" it because I bought it and made the mistake. He said I should have told him earlier that I was going to use a different shaft, because he would have told me that he can't guarantee it would fit. IT DIDNT FIT BECAUSE IT WAS THE WRONG PIN, not because they were different makers like he suggested many times.

Basically this guy sells me a cue with a different pin than what it was described as having, and is telling me that its my fault. No apology, no nothing. He isn't responding to my pm's at all anymore.

I know I can file a paypal claim on it, but don't want to go that way. I told him really we have two options to make things right, he can refund me the money and pay shipping back to himself (I shouldn't have to pay for it when the cue wasn't as described) or he can paypal me the small amount it will cost to make the ld shaft into the correct pin (which was only ordered wrong because he quoted the wrong pin type.)

What do you think I should do, or am I out of line and it is really my fault that I didn't know it had a different pin than what I was told. I know if I was the seller, and I told him this, that I would have apologized for my mistake right away and flat out asked what I could do to make it right. Nothing of the sort from this high class seller than I am dealing with.

Edit: In full disclosure, cue was delivered on Friday, I got back from a fishing trip on Sunday and opened it. Looked great, left feedback. First time I had a chance to use the cue was on Tuesday, when the other shaft was delivered. That was the first time that I noticed it had the wrong pin, and pm'd him that night. When I pm'd the seller, he stated he has no reason to believe it to be a different pin than what it was sold as. The proof came a day later when the cuemaker pm'd me back and told me the actual pin on it.

Last edited:

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Sound like any chance you had of resolving this together is gone. I would just dispute the charge with PayPal.

alanvo

Banned
Rating - 88.2%
30   4   0
A few possibilities:
* Perhaps he was provided with the wrong information from the very beginning.
* Pin: big pin? flat faced?

Have you tried to put a 3/8x11 shaft on this cue ?

cizco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
there are many modified 3/8-10 pins, some looks very similar to the 3/8-11. 10 pins are just so different from each other. I've tried to play around with some 10 thread shafts on different cues just won't work.

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
No, The cuemaker confirmed that the pin was a 3/8x11. He was misinformed from the seller he bought it from, but after I proved to him it was a different pin, he basically wouldn't work with me on it. It doesn't matter that he thought it was something else, when it was brought to his attention that he was wrong, it still went no where. Even if he thought it was one thing, and it wasn't, he is still ultimately responsible for what he sells. Like I said when I told him it was a 3/8x11 he acted like I was the one in the wrong. Basically a tough shit mentality.

Cue was supposed to be flat faced 3/8x10, and its flat faced 3/8x11.

A few possibilities:
* Perhaps he was provided with the wrong information from the very beginning.
* Pin: big pin? flat faced?

Have you tried to put a 3/8x11 shaft on this cue ?

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Shaft

Have you call the people you bought the shaft from? If its new an from Jacoby they will probably switch the shaft out for you. I'm sure they think it was simple mistake that a lot of people could make. Any way hope all works out.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
A seller shouldn't be 'on the hook' if an aftermarket shaft doesn't fit a specific cue. I just tried an OB 5/16-14 on a newer Meucci 5/16-14 butt and it would not screw on. That said, a seller should know what it is they are selling. If not, then that should be stated, "sorry, I am not sure what pin it is but the maker should be able to confirm." Seller should offer a defined return policy for in the event the buyer thinks the item is not as described or is unhappy. If the seller is offering an item as-is, with no returns, then that's fine.....but it needs to be stated.

Folks.....it really is that easy.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   2
You are in the right here based on what you've provided. The pin is technical spec on the cue and the seller had it wrong, whether intentional or unintentional. I think I know the maker of your cue and believe he makes his own pins. Regardless, you deserve a refund.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So it wasn't exactly as advertised........ you have not mentioned anything bad about the cue so I assume that it is a nice cue.

The seller was obviously not a cue maker or he would have known..........

So bite the bulled and buy a shaft with a 3/8-11 thread and sell the other one.............

Be happy

Kim

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Biggest issue...do you want the cue, other than the pin issue. If you do, easiest thing to do is have the OB shaft plugged and re-threaded to 3/8x11... or see if someone wants to trade an OB shaft with your needed thread for the one that you have.

Having said that, the seller is responsible for selling a cue that was spec'd correctly. If he listed it as 3/8x10, and it was not correct, then you did not get what you thought you were buying, and you should be able to get a refund...either directly from the seller, or by contesting via Paypal or CC as "item not as described".

Selling cues is tougher than many folks realize. You can make 100 good deals and f'up on 1, and everything is screwed for you.

Joe

Last edited:

Wright Shot

Sugartree Madness
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you approved of the cue when it arrived and have possessed it for more than a day or two, then you own it. I think that you are also responsible for verifying the pin type and joint diameter before YOU purchase an aftermarket shaft. A buyer only has a very short time to return a cue. You obviously approved of cue and kept it for several days. No way in hell I refund your money. Especially since you have been trying to screw wrong threaded shafts on there. You are just as quilty for not verifying pin type on cue arrival.

Chris

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Honestly, as long as everything else is fine about the cue this isn't the worst problem you could have. I would either return the jacoby for the correct thread or get it plugged and retapped, which is about $25 if I remember correctly when I had it done.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
Hay now

3/8-10 pin players are pretty picky. The 3/8-10 pin was the only big pin for a long time East coast especially in wide use. Decades really. And if that is what you play you don't want to know. The pin is important in a sale if the buyer says it is.
Satisfaction is his to claim.
Nick :)

Last edited:

Wright Shot

Sugartree Madness
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
3/8-10 pin players are pretty picky. The 3/8-10 pin was the only big pin for a long time E. t coast especially in wide use. Decades really. And if that is what you play you don'. want to know. The pin is important in a sale if the buyer says it is.
Satisfaction is his to claim.
Nick :)

I completely agree. When the cue arrived, he had plenty of time to inspect cue and determine if it was to his liking. He accepted cue. That, IMO, completes transaction and completes the sale of the cue. Deal is done.

Chris

spanky981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Issue

This is very simple !!!

He should get his money back on the cue, plain and simple. It was sold with a wrong representation and A big one.
Everyone knows the pin is important on a cue, especially a playing cue.

I agree he should have waited before buying a shaft but he is stuck with the shaft now. He deserves his money back on cue.

Do what's right and refund the money on the cue !!!!

Anyone who thinks different is stupid. If you are expecting a 3/8 10 pin you should get it. Not the buyers fault seller was misinformed.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you're gonna make it your 'business' to buy and sell cues, you better damn well know how to tell the difference from one pin to another. You cannot rely on what a previous owner stated...you need to be educated on what is you are selling. The pin size is not a minor detail. If you're gonna be a hack about it, get out of the cue selling business...or stand behind what you sell, in order to build your reputation.

With that said...as previously stated, even given had the correct pin size been provided, it is still no guarantee that an aftermarket shaft is going to fit.

The way I see it, the seller is on the hook for misrepresenting the cue's specs...the buyer is on the hook for the aftermarket shaft.

FAT_32

Registered
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cue was sold as 3/8x10 when in fact it turned out to be 3/8x11.
WHat is there to talk about?
ITEM IS NOT AS DESCRIBED. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Can you post name of the seller please?

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Biggest issue...do you want the cue, other than the pin issue. If you do, easiest thing to do is have the OB shaft plugged and re-threaded to 3/8x11... or see if someone wants to trade an OB shaft with your needed thread for the one that you have.

Having said that, the seller is responsible for selling a cue that was spec'd correctly. If he listed it as 3/8x10, and it was not correct, then you did not get what you thought you were buying, and you should be able to get a refund...either directly from the seller, or by contesting via Paypal or CC as "item not as described".

Selling cues is tougher than many folks realize. You can make 100 good deals and f'up on 1, and everything is screwed for you.

Joe

I would rather keep the cue. It is a really pretty cue. If his response was "Hey honest mistake, what can I do to make it right?" I would have prob said no harm no foul and ill just deal with it. He came back at me that its my fault, and that if it was him he would just "own" it. Basically saying not my problem, which I didn't take as being genuine when I was misinformed in the first place. If it had the right pin listed there would be no issue at all right now. When I immediately asked (after trying a 3/8x10 on it) if it was a 3/8x11, he said he has no reason to believe me that it was a 3/8x11. That is when I had the cuemaker confirm it.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
I would rather keep the cue. It is a really pretty cue. If his response was "Hey honest mistake, what can I do to make it right?" I would have prob said no harm no foul and ill just deal with it. He came back at me that its my fault, and that if it was him he would just "own" it. Basically saying not my problem, which I didn't take as being genuine when I was misinformed in the first place. If it had the right pin listed there would be no issue at all right now. When I immediately asked (after trying a 3/8x10 on it) if it was a 3/8x11, he said he has no reason to believe me that it was a 3/8x11. That is when I had the cuemaker confirm it.

The response that I would have is as follows...it is simply what I would personally do, had I bought the cue and otherwise liked it.

I would keep the cue and pay out of my own pocket to have the shaft converted, and let this be a learning lesson. It is only $25-30, and truly not worth the hassle in the long run.

Now, if I had been the seller, and I made the mistake, I would have already sent you the $25 or so to pay for your shaft conversion because of my oversight, or I would have offered you a full refund for the return of the cue.

If you like the cue, figure out something with the shaft you seem to love (convert thread, trade shaft, sell one and buy the other) and let this all go. Life is too short for all the drama...

Joe

jshea1212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I agree with the buyer, I have a cue coming and its very important that the cue fits a shaft I have. Maybe a lot of people can, but I cant look at any pin and tell you what it is? Now I am in possession of my shaft and will test right away. But if one is on order i can see how a few days might pass before he realizes its not going to work. If he clearly stated in the sale a size. And the cue maker verifies tbe buyers concern. Im not really sure why he shouldn't take responsibility for his mistake.
Only going from what the buyers says is what this opinion is based on.