Hit a Straight Pool Mile Stone Today!

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
So I know I haven't posted in this forum in awhile. I still come on here but I am more of viewer instead of a poster these days. Well I have been playing better over the last 2 months, started beating the 10 ball ghost for the first time ever. Well I played some straight pool tonight by myself.I had ran 2 and half racks, missed with roughly 7-5 balls on the table, ran those plus 3 more racks and 6 more balls. If my math is right I think I broke my high run and ran a 53!!! My high run until now was a 45 and a couple 42s. Tonight felt good. I honestly felt I could have ran several more racks. The rack where I missed was a shot I just went brain dead, there where no more clusters and I had a BB and a KB with no problems. I just flubbed it.

Anyways, I unscrewed immediately because I wanted to burn the memory of how I just played into my brain. Well just wanted to share and hopefully I will run 100 before I turn 30, my next birthday.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
So I know I haven't posted in this forum in awhile. I still come on here but I am more of viewer instead of a poster these days. Well I have been playing better over the last 2 months, started beating the 10 ball ghost for the first time ever. Well I played some straight pool tonight by myself.I had ran 2 and half racks, missed with roughly 7-5 balls on the table, ran those plus 3 more racks and 6 more balls. If my math is right I think I broke my high run and ran a 53!!! My high run until now was a 45 and a couple 42s. Tonight felt good. I honestly felt I could have ran several more racks. The rack where I missed was a shot I just went brain dead, there where no more clusters and I had a BB and a KB with no problems. I just flubbed it.

Anyways, I unscrewed immediately because I wanted to burn the memory of how I just played into my brain. Well just wanted to share and hopefully I will run 100 before I turn 30, my next birthday.

Congratulations. :thumbup:
Sounds like about a 35 followed by a 53. A couple of very strong innings. Keep it up and let us know how you are doing. However, as some of the stronger players on here might tell you, it gets exponentially more difficult to get to a higher number. You are being quite ambitious to go for a 47 ball jump in less than a year, but good luck to you. The journey should be interesting and educational.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Congratulations! Have you thought about maybe capturing your next session on video?

center pocket

Silver Member
I am currently living in Korea and filming my sessions are tough. I move back to AZ in October and will have my diamond back out of storage. Then I will start filming again. I just wanted to share and I appreciate the camaraderie on here between fellow 14.1 players.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
congrats, being over 50 once is a great feeling, you won't get scared of it when you are into the fourth rack again :wink:

Oh no!!!!

What a bad time to unscrew. Should've kept playing. Those are the kinds of days that we all wish would never end. Who knows how many you may have ran or when you'll have that feeling again.

Nice shooting!!

center pocket

Silver Member
Wednesday I had my diamond pro am recovered and I ran a 54 that night before I went to bed. I was pretty happy by that because I thought i was getting into a slump. It was just me not focusing on patterns and shot making.

Hopefully i will get my camera setup soon and can start posting some videos again.

Something interesting just came to me as I was rereading this thread. My previous 53 ended on an easy shot on an open table, this 54 ended almost in the exact same scenario. I mean seriously the exact same shot or pretty close too it. I think I am going to go shoot that shot a couple hundred times in my next practice session.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations. :thumbup:
Sounds like about a 35 followed by a 53. A couple of very strong innings. Keep it up and let us know how you are doing. However, as some of the stronger players on here might tell you, it gets exponentially more difficult to get to a higher number. You are being quite ambitious to go for a 47 ball jump in less than a year, but good luck to you. The journey should be interesting and educational.

I just want to give some encouragement in the other direction. If your high run is 50 and your game stays about the same then it is a pipe dream to run 100 any time soon. However, if after running the 50 you break down your strengths and weaknesses, and spend all of your time reducing or eliminating those weaknesses, then you are not the same player who had a 50 ball high run. We don't actually know what your new "true" high run capability is at that point. Maybe he's a 75 ball player, and might reach that number a week after having improved his game.

I have a feeling that many strong players tend to give up on fixing their problem areas, which means they aren't going to do much better tomorrow than they do today.

Mainly I'm saying that the statistics of high runs don't always reflect reality for the reasons mentioned above.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to give some encouragement in the other direction. If your high run is 50 and your game stays about the same then it is a pipe dream to run 100 any time soon. However, if after running the 50 you break down your strengths and weaknesses, and spend all of your time reducing or eliminating those weaknesses, then you are not the same player who had a 50 ball high run. We don't actually know what your new "true" high run capability is at that point. Maybe he's a 75 ball player, and might reach that number a week after having improved his game.

I have a feeling that many strong players tend to give up on fixing their problem areas, which means they aren't going to do much better tomorrow than they do today.

Mainly I'm saying that the statistics of high runs don't always reflect reality for the reasons mentioned above.

Good post!

center pocket

Silver Member
Dan thanks for the post.

I ran a 41 last night and a 44 this morning. I have noticed that all my runs are ending when I get to comfortable with my pre-shot routine and miss a shot I would make 80-90% of the time. It is very frustrating, I think I might be rushing my approach not getting my body perfectly online after running a few racks.

In the mean time I have been practicing my preshot routine and my aiming to ensure I am "locked in" on every shot. By locked in I get this feeling that the OB can only go one place, where I am aiming to the pocket. It gives a very good feeling of a confident stroke.

As soon as my camera arrives I will get some videos posted.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I remember some of your videos. Furthermore i remember good that your fundamentals increased a lot.
To me it looked like you tend to get a bit faster as the run goes on. Thus happens to many playery my friend. Absolutley no reason to get frustrated. No neef to change your rythm in general. What you need to learn is to spend some time to read the rack. Give yourself always enough time especially after the breakshot!!!
The plan you ll follow from there is the most important. From here you have to look for what make things easy, hm? Just by playing 2-3 balls away the rack could be a piece of cake!
And always follow king *james* rempe s first rule:
As soon as you ran just a bit out if line.....
OVERTHINK and make your analysis again.

- solving and dealing with problems

- keep it simple (kiss)

- always have a plan!!!

Last but important :
Many okdschoolers here (like me, lol)! In the last decades our materials (cloth <~~~) increased dramatically. So nowadays its much easier to spread the balls. Thats a fact you should use (or everyone else).
On a breakshot just make sure to make it 100 % !! Just dont scratch!!
The finer points if breaking u ll learn thru expirience.

One thing i forgot;
Never miss a ball.lol

Have a smooth stroke.
Ingo

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk