Hohmann loses to Ko because of the Cyclop balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's still nice to know that all anyone can do to explain something they can't seem to figure out with such simple explanations that have nothing to do which what happened to cause the cue ball to roll off....LMAO

If you watch the cue ball it don't start turning towards the corner pocket until AFTER it has passed by the side pocket.....now think about this for a second....cloth is weaved in rows, up down and across....and if the cue ball is almost dead in them tracks of the rows of the wave traveling lengthwise and at just the right speed as to NOT jump across to many rows of the weave....and the cloth was stretched more into the corner pocket in such a way that you can see the weave curving towards the corner pocket.....the cue ball WILL grain track and try and follow the wave DIRECTION of the cloth...but the speed has to be perfect, and the ball has to be already following the weave in order to be curved....AND THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CUE BALL, which is why it couldn't be repeated unless it was shot at the same speed on the same path...LOL

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'd love to hear everyone's explaination as to how a cue ball can roll left AND right in the last 2-3 inches while it's trying to fall into the grain od cloth....NEW cloth is the worst for grain tracking....LOL

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... However, one of our members stated in this thread, that he mic'd the ball and found it to be a sphere. ...
I think he said he had mic'd balls of the same brand and found them to be spheres. But my point was that you cannot tell whether something that is more or less a sphere is a sphere by measuring diameters. It can have a slightly pointy end that is compensated on the other side of the ball by a shallow, broad valley.

Related to which.... At the 1976 World 14.1 Championships (PPPA, Asbury Park, NJ), many of the "Bicentennial" ball sets had 3s, 5s, or 7s that had bulging eyes and many were smaller or large than spec. I happened to have a ball gauge with me (two round holes in a piece of sheet steel), and we managed to get complete 4 OK sets for the tournament tables.

Last edited:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Humm .. may I ask what, "saying that does not make it so." means?

Are you disputing the historical statistics?

It is a fact there have been many examples of the effect we saw in the video posted here by the OP. It has been talked about for some while, and I am sure this is not news to you .. Every time it was the same cue ball.

I was not there to see every one .. :D

The definitive physical explanation of this effect is intriguing to me.

I was fascinated to see a ball apparently accelerate without an outside force. That's what really hooked me on this one. It is also consistent with the theory of inconsistent density.

Imagine a little lead ball, invisibly embedded within the cue ball - close to the edge of the ball. What if that lead ball was at the top of the ball as you shot a follow?

Momentum comes into play like a pendulum accelerating on the down stroke as the ball rolls .. every time the lead spot comes rolling over the top - off she goes.

There in lies the illusion of an accelerating ball, as well as physical evidence of an object rolling at greater speed than a ball of equal density would demonstrate.

I would like to get my hands on some of these balls .. Anyone who has one in question pleas pm me .. I want them.

( er,not able to post for prolonged
periods of time because of
my degenerate transitory life style)

Last edited:

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me just say I don't have experience with these balls, but honestly guys I don't even think you can call yourself a pool player if you haven't had a ball obviously roll off in a match, then put the cb on the "exact path" after you're done and it rolls straight. I don't think this has to be the ball at all.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a little hard to see the line and how much it rolls off without some help. Here is a clip with the start path of the cue ball as close to vertical as I could get it with a reference line. Looks like more than a diamond in a table length. I think that's more than you can explain by cloth weave and badly pulled cloth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXVYrIZgyI

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and it rolled the same way as the scratch at the end (to the right as we look at it).
Sure, but after the match finished (at the end of the video) Hohmann lagged the cue ball along the same path and with nearly the same speed as the scratch and the ball did not seem to roll off. If just the table is at fault I would expect about the same roll.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a little hard to see the line and how much it rolls off without some help. Here is a clip with the start path of the cue ball as close to vertical as I could get it with a reference line. Looks like more than a diamond in a table length. I think that's more than you can explain by cloth weave and badly pulled cloth.

Great stuff .. I appreciate your effort.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Youre looking at the cue ball from a different angle than its actually rolling because its starting to roll away from your line within the first 2 diamonds coming off the rail with enough speed that wouldn't effect the roll that soon.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Agreed.
And it's not like that ball was hit super soft.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Humm .. may I ask what, "saying that does not make it so." means?

Are you disputing the historical statistics?

It is a fact there have been many examples of the effect we saw in the video posted here by the OP. It has been talked about for some while, and I am sure this is not news to you .. Every time it was the same cue ball.

I was not there to see every one .. :D

The definitive physical explanation of this effect is intriguing to me.

I was fascinated to see a ball apparently accelerate without an outside force. That's what really hooked me on this one. It is also consistent with the theory of inconsistent density.

Imagine a little lead ball, invisibly embedded within the cue ball - close to the edge of the ball. What if that lead ball was at the top of the ball as you shot a follow?

Momentum comes into play like a pendulum accelerating on the down stroke as the ball rolls .. every time the lead spot comes rolling over the top - off she goes.

There in lies the illusion of an accelerating ball, as well as physical evidence of an object rolling at greater speed than a ball of equal density would demonstrate.

I would like to get my hands on some of these balls .. Anyone who has one in question pleas pm me .. I want them.

( er,not able to post for prolonged
periods of time because of
my degenerate transitory life style)

Same thing as "historical statistics." What historical statistics?

You say these things as if fact but without evidence. Having followed the Cyclop balls threads for a long time, I'm only aware of one specific citable instance and it turned out to be a bad set of CBs which were immediately replaced by the manufacturer by flying in new CBs from China express overnight.

I have two sets of Cyclop balls and I have played with them for hundreds of hours. And I've also played with Cyclop balls at several large events. My experience is that they play fine and stay cleaner than the other leading brand. Now there's some historical statistics for you.

Lou Figueroa

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hate to disagree with anybody, but the Cyclops cue ball has a problem. Its so common that a great number of people have noticed it. Maybe the problem has or is being addressed by the people who make them, but so far, it isn't fixed. If someone received a set that has no problem; you're the exception, not the rule.
FWIW, not trying to trash Cyclops, just want them to fix the problem. If nobody speaks up, we can't expect it to be addressed.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does the table recognise the cue ball for ball return? Where is that in relations to the table? If a magnetbis used. Is there any possible way that a magnet could be strong enough to affect the cue ball on the table.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.