Home 7ft Tables — other than Diamond

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After Diamond, who makes the best 7ft table for home use?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is diamond and then tied for last would be:
Valley
Olhausen
Brunswick
Dynamo

All with drawbacks compared to diamonds

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley
Olhausen
Brunswick
Dynamo

All perfectly fine tables for typical home play, but all would/will be extremely disappointing in comparison if you've already been spoiled by playing on a Diamond.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have a 9ft Olhausen that is driving me crazy. Loose rails, death-rattle pockets, ugh.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley
Olhausen
Brunswick
Dynamo

I agree that Diamond is a mile ahead of anyone else in the 7' market, but "tied for last" is a bit harsh.

To answer the OP's question, I think a Valley with aftermarket Ridgeback Pros and Simonis 860 is a good table and the best "second choice". I have one configured like that and I like it.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think diamond is a cut above and the Brunswick, valley,
olhausen, and dynamo versions of commercial or semi-commercial tables
are of similar price points and build quality.

I know very little about tables( put a few together, played on a great deal, etc)

Valley has to be the second most common for tournaments
and with more options than the other 3.( ridgeback, coin op, etc)

Harsh, maybe.
Jmo, I suppose
take with a huge grain of salt

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rebco tables, Clovis, California. I like 'em better than Diamonds. And about half the cost.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 7 foot valley that is very level and has 4 inch pockets- it really is nearly up to the standard of a diamond

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But you have room for a 9'?

Why looking for a bar box?

I'd suggest a gold crown, if you want to keep it under 5k.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a little tight in a couple of spots. I’m
getting older; not trying to impress anybody with my long hard shot ability. Figured I might try a Bar box. Maybe not

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s a little tight in a couple of spots. I’m
getting older; not trying to impress anybody with my long hard shot ability. Figured I might try a Bar box. Maybe not

I’m with you man. I have a 9’ right now and I’m considering trading it in for a bar table.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A nice Valley Cougar table with Ridgeback rails and you have a good bar table. IMO it is still not up to Diamond standards, but a suitable substitute for far less $$$.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a valley bar box put pro cut rails on it. I had a big table found it to tight in my room so I down sized. Best move for me. The other thing I noticed was almost every tournament I have went to was played on a bar box. And with a little leg work and hustlin with pro cut rails and new felt I got less than a grand in my table.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had 3 so far. Started with a olhausen, had a diamond 7 ft, and now have a valley.

They all play good once setup properly. I mostly play on valley's and was going to sell the house so I sold my diamond. Once I get my forever home or a nicer house with a basement I'll probably get a 9 ft to go with the valley

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a valley bar box put pro cut rails on it. I had a big table found it to tight in my room so I down sized. Best move for me. The other thing I noticed was almost every tournament I have went to was played on a bar box. And with a little leg work and hustlin with pro cut rails and new felt I got less than a grand in my table.

I live in Las Vegas and I am not a spring chicken anymore. I do not want to travel to play pool, but I still want to play as many tournaments as possible. I can play locally a minimum of 7 tournaments per month, and all are on 7 footers.

My biggest problem was that I have never played on a 7 footer. Started out at 12 years old playing at home on a 9 foot Gold Crown. Put some time in on the 7 footer, and it is a different game, balls all over the friggen' place, but once I got it - I got it, and I am having a blast without having to travel.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I know I am late to the party...But for what it's worth: I would stay away from bar boxes. They are ugly, and it's hard to keep the slate level (apart from Diamond). Some of them have coin mechanisms sticking out from the side that will bang your knee. Others have metal castings that interfere with your cueing and scratch and knick your cue (Valley). They are usually very thin slates, with insufficient support from the wood underneath. Over time, the slate will be bowed and it will be challenging, even for a technician to get it level all over. Nothing is more annoying than balls rolling off (to me at least). I don't think I've ever played on a Valley table that I felt was sufficiently level. I'm not some anal retentive nitpicker, but if you can't roll your ball even short distances without worrying about roll off, then that significantly reduces my enjoyment. There are ways around it, but it shouldn't be necessary, especially not in your own home!

Try to find a used home table with a 3 piece slate of an inch thickness. In your home you don't need the one piece slate, and it's far more practical to get a table out in pieces, anyway, should you need to sell or relocate. As long as you get hardwood rails, and 1 inch or thicker slate, I think you'll be very happy. You can find used tables like that very cheap, even ones that were once very expensive. Stay away from fibre board rails with thin veneers. They don't bounce right and get destroyed easily.

Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really can't go wrong with a valley, easy to find, cheap, easy to sell, easy to get parts, plus really common yet in most bars around the country. Buy one use it till you want to upgrade to a diamond and sell it for what you paid! You won't lose money if you're smart on the initial purchase